Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LSL to charge for the App

• 15-08-2024 6:52pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭

I see LSL are going to start charging you if you use the App

Fiver a month even if you are just viewing...more if you are buying

Theyll do an annual sub for viewing of 50..

I'm not tight but I don't think the use I get out of it warrants the outlay tbh..+ I know businesses love a subscription model bit I'm overdosed and a bit sick of them tbh...I occasionally look at one or two of my own going through or have a look at a sale...I've bought from time to time but it's sporadic...I think I'll leave it to them and go old school

What say ye?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭Anto_Meath

I see we are going to have to pay membership now to bid on LSL, i wouldn't reguard that as a good move...

https://www.livestock-live.com/BidAndViewMembership

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,300 ✭✭✭✭Base price

That will suit the dealers and factory agents around the ring with their hands in stopping. I doubt many will pay €120 a year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,302 ✭✭✭kollegeknight

there has to be a way to gather revenue without subscriptions.

unless you’re bidding weekly- people won’t pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭Anto_Meath

Yes @Base price I would have thought if they needed money then commission on every animal sold would be a better way to raise it. It is a good a handy platform but like you say is it worth €120 a year to the average farmer I don't think so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭mr.stonewall

Will Marts move to other companies such as marteye and mart bids. Could be a very dangerous move that could finish LSL

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,063 ✭✭✭Sheep breeder

Surly the marts are paying them as the service provider and wouldn’t want to loose the customer bidding and certainly won’t bring people back to the ring.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,300 ✭✭✭✭Base price

I thought Seamus Mallon of Liffey Meats/Carnaross Mart/Viastar Exports was behind the LSL platform.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,219 ✭✭✭orm0nd

I have used the app a couple of times to buy sheep or weanlings without visiting the mart. Usually a neighbour or a member of the mart staff would vet the animals for me and pass on the details. Would be fairly slow to pay any sub. as most likely it will only increase if supported.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,200 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

LSL was started by a guy from mullingar called brendan Hannigan and it's International now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,174 ✭✭✭emaherx

How often does the average farmer bid? There is a €10 for 30 days access in the dropdown list so you would be mad to pay the €120 if you only bid a couple of times a year. But the subscription for viewing would annoy me more as it's good sometimes to see how the trade is going, thankfully I usually use MartEye.

Edit: looks like it is €100 for the year

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

LSL said they can't cope with the volume of traffic. I can see the lights shutting down one by one, like the lights on the Paddy McGuinness' 'Take me Out' series

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭148multi

Think they are asking increased fees off marts too, there was a discussion at our local mart board meeting about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 340 ✭✭Hershall

Does the fiver cover looking back at previous sales?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭amacca

Don't know that....didn't read the full article......cheapo here doesn't want to pay for a farmers journal subscription either

I'd imagine they should at least at the start to soften the blow and then I introduce an extra charge for it down the road to "invest in and improve" the service if I know my subscription playbook properly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭50HX

I'm amazed it has taken this long

It's been a real game changer since it's introduction.

Matter a jot of you are selling but for those buying its a no trainer

Bidding from the comfort of home vs stuck ringside at midnight in some cases & for those of us working off farm it's a godsend

Will be signing up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,290 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Wonder what Marteye are going to do. How do they fund themselves?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,577 ✭✭✭kk.man

If the others don't follow, how long will that app last

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,947 ✭✭✭farawaygrass

which app would be the most popular across marts?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭amacca

Yep...I suppose that's the long and short of it.

Life itself is a subscription model of sorts!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭Tileman

sick of all the subscriptions tbh. Would look at a few and maybe hennessy machinery auction. Don’t think I’ll pay for another subscription. If the other 2 apps hold out for a while they will get increased business. However more than likely they will follow suit aswell.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭Cavanjack

I buy off the 3 apps. If they all follow suit it’ll be €360 a year. I do save on time buying online but it’s a bit of a sickener. Wonder what do they charge the marts?
    It works out expensive per head for any man even just buying 100 head per year.
    It’s equivalent to a 30% increase in commision for any man buying 100 online.

Even the vets have to pay a fee for the hand held device they use when tb testing, one way or another it's all been passed back to the farmers

Do you buy 12 months of the year? I'm sure plenty do but probably not most.

It's €10 for 30 days access or €100 for 12 months. I can't see the average farmer needing to pay for the whole year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 880 ✭✭✭grange mac

It's a pity they don't have a 3/6 month option.... They probably know if done that then they lose the 12 months option.

Was at a mart in galway yesterday, it said on lsl that you could pay per month €10 to buy, to view €3 per month.

Well it's just 3 -6 monthly payments then? Still less than the annual sub and better value than a six month sub as you don't need to use it all in consecutive months. The annual sub would only ever make sense if you use it 10 months or more out of the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭Limestone Cowboy

Will a lot of marts on the lsl platform change to marteye or martbids I wonder. Committee meetings will be interesting. I'd reluctantly pay if I had to because the few marts I use are all using it but it would be some sickner to pay the subscription and for the marts to change provider.

Some marts a dead against it, lsl charging €500 per month to marts.

Lsl and mart eye are now controlled by the same people

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 616 ✭✭✭Silverdream

It was great while it was free, but I guess there are costs associated with streaming live data like that. Plus now that people have got used to it, they can now force people to pay. I'd say RTE 1 will be delighted, as they'll get all the pensioners back watching TV now instead.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,219 ✭✭✭orm0nd

I imagine the marts might have entered a contract and maybe tied to that for a while. Could be wrong though.

Like every other piece of legislation it will be topic of conversation for a while and most likely forgotten about in a month or so.

Advertisement