Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Importing from the UK - definitive guide (Q and A)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,763 ✭✭✭Bogwoppit

I’d like to see the legislation on that because I think you’re wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,377 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

I can assist you but you need to lay out your proposed facts; some pertinent questions will be:

who will

Identify and decide to purchase the car from the GB dealer?

Who will fund that purchase?

How will the car be moved from GB to NI - which person will drive it and what ferry will be used (this does have a significant impact on U.K. position)?

What will the NI resident do with the car? Will they be insured to drive it? Will it be SORN’d in the U.K.?

How will the putative sale from NI resident to ROI resident be documented? And funded/evidenced?

tax is complex; I have been working it now for 35 years. Answer the questions and I will assist you.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 rob_satellites

The things we have to do in this country just to buy a car for it's original price 🥴🥴🥴🥴

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Exiled Rebel

In 2022 I bought a 5 year old high spec Seat Ateca in England for the equivalent of €15.5k at the exchange rate at the time. I was living in London and planning to move home. That happened recently and I availed of the exemption. Everything above board etc. etc.

I will keep it for the mandatory 12 months. Looking at Done Deal I reckon (after 3 years of ownership and having put an estimated 100,000km up on the clock) as a trade-in it'll worth somewhere between 12 to €14k next summer. 2017 Seat Ateca's with similar mileage are currently on sale north of 16k. My point though is when I bought the car 2022 the equivalent Ateca was 22/23k here while I paid 15.5k.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭mcw92

I would say the Usedcarsni is an estimate and that's it. Try get a V5C from a seller, even just private, of the same spec of car and put it into the revenue calculator for a better idea.

Also that sounds like the CO2 figure you have, NOx on the site is like 0.014 or that for the ones I check. Not all have it though.

The V5C will also have it similar, so 0.012 in my picture.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Keep_Her_Lit

Hi there, I’d appreciate an opinion on buying a car from Northern Ireland which originated in Japan. As I understand it, if the car was imported from Japan directly to NI and customs/VAT was paid in NI, there will be no additional customs/VAT payable and only VRT will be charged.

However, if the car was imported from Japan to England, then subsequently re-registered in NI, this may not be the case. The following statement appears on citizensinformation.ie: “If you buy a vehicle from Northern Ireland, you do not have to make a customs declaration. But you must have proof that a customs declaration was made when the vehicle arrived in Northern Ireland from Great Britain (if applicable).”

Is this statement also true if the car originated in Japan? If so, would a suitable customs declaration be sufficient to avoid customs/VAT charges? Thanks for any advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Alt AC

Yes I did make myself aware of the costs involved, I've done it with a previous car too. I wanted a particular spec model that wasn't available here. I just wasn't aware there was a way of avoiding the costs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭mcw92

Does anyone know for the proof, if the MOT completed in NI is fine, if the garage had the car when it was completed ?

Car is a trade in from NI customers, but the only main proof right now is an MOT the garage did 3 months ago.

that’s only proof that the garage owned it 3 months ago and that doesn’t help as needs to be in private ownership. The garage should have the V5C which hopefully has the prior owner’s NI address and the date of their acquisition which would be perfect proof. A new V5C is not issued when the vehicle is acquired by a trader.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Doonbegman

Sorry if this has been answered all ready, but can anyone recommend a good customs clearance agent? Also provided I have the customs deceleration done before I collect the car, can I drive the car back myself from the UK or do I have to have it transported. (The car is a 1989 Peugeot 205) . Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,826 ✭✭✭User1998

Yes you can drive it back but if your going to declare it beforehand you’ll need someone who can also deal with the UK export procedures as well as the Irish import procedures. I used CarClear.ie for this a few times

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭cavan4sam

I know it's a little off topic but I'm looking at a car that was originally a UK car but now on irish plates...

Just wondering if I do a car check will the UK mileage come up if I don't know the original UK reg?

Done the checks before but can't remember

Yes as long as you pay for an Irish & UK check

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭cavan4sam

Great thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2 dar-griff222

Any takers for this lads? Still none the wiser to be honest, seller says he'll gladly change ownership to himself but not sure how to proceed

Currently you’ll have to pay VAT and customs. If the seller transfers it to his name and you wait a few months it may be a different outcome.

Edit: Actually no customs as its vintage. Only VAT

Imported a UK reg car yesterday that had been in the North since 2023. No VAT or customs required

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭TheBetsy

Great to know thanks, was it a private sale or a dealer?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭stooge

question → if you have relatives living in Ni…and not in a hurry to buy….. does it make sense to purchase up north in relatives name then transfer here after 3 months? Use a skoda kodiaq as an example

~60k euro ROI brand new

~49k euro uk brand new

saving of 11k?

• Advertisement

Well what you describe is somewhat illegal.. But you have to pay VAT if your importing a brand new car here anyway regardless of it being registered in Northern Ireland

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 547 ✭✭✭RCSATELLITES

Keep in mind "new" for vat purposes is under 6 months old and under 6,000 km. Even if the car is 1.5 years old but under 6000 km they consider it new.

So if the relatives bought new they would need to keep it for over 6 months and do over 6k km.

Then no vat or customs would be due, just the usual vrt / nox.

not sure what is illegal about it? Is it breaking a law?

thanks for the explanation, the 6k would be more of an issue than anything else!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭brokenbad

Thinking of importing a UK reg classic car from the north (1986 reg)

I entered some basic details into the VRT calculator and it tells me that it will only cost 200 euro - i wonder is this correct?

Because of it's classic status - am i still liable for customs/ import charges?

The information out there is sketchy.

Of course its correct. The information is readily available on Revenues website.

Only VAT is due on vintage cars, no customs

yes; it’s the offence of making a gain or causing a loss (the tax properly payable) by deception (falsely asserting that the car was truly bought by the NI person). It’s a minor enough one though, only up to 10 years in jail.

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭Luna84

It’s a minor enough one though, only up to 10 years in jail.

Imagine getting 10 years for that offence. There are people who killed someone who would have got less jail time than you.

the car would have been truly bought by a NI person…… still fail to see how it could be illegal?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 547 ✭✭✭RCSATELLITES

Only a few weeks ago people were suggesting to make up a name and put it on the v5. So don't know what's changed, maybe revenue have joined the chat 😕.

I have a question though, how is the car going to be paid for?

If it's you giving your relative €49k to buy the car by transfer or cash then that would be a major line in an investigation if one was ever to occur in the first place.

Advertisement