Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Airport New Runway/Infrastructure.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,040 ✭✭✭EchoIndia

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,785 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

At this stage the DAA could offer to pay the over costs of the NCC & end world hunger & FCC would still find reason to deny it. There really needs to be a discussion at government level about how much sway a local authority can really have on such a vital piece of national infrastructure.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Thunder87

Problem is the alternative is probably direct applications to An Bord Pleanala who are an even bigger farce.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭dublin12367

At the very least it would cut out some of the delays if all applications went direct to An Bord Pleanala. Almost all decisions in relation to Dublin airport from FCC regardless if they are approved or rejected ultimately end up with ABP anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,769 ✭✭✭Economics101

But when special strategic housing developments went straight to ABP, the result was loads of judicial reviews, so this scheme had to be scrapped.

What about rigidly-binding timelimits for planning and appeal decisions, following which permission is automatically granted? That would make the Councils and the ABP move their arses and not hold up virtually all cases an unconscionable amount of time.

• Advertisement

Another Fingal V DAA disagreement:

https://www.independent.ie/business/irish/permission-refused-for-large-staff-car-park-at-dublin-airport/a280892418.html

At this stage it looks like FCC are guaranteed to oppose everythng from DAA.

• Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭Bussywussy

I'm actually delighted. Would of made anyone working there's day a bit longer, I'm happy enough where I park at the moment 🤣🤣

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,249 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Its replacing on-campus parking with parking that's a ten minute bus ride away

• Registered Users Posts: 23,801 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Nothing will be done before the election but straight after the election the whole planning system has to be upended. We can't get anything done.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 252 ✭✭davebuck

There does seem to be a policy with FCC on every planning application from the DAA in the last few years to either reject or request large amounts of additional information be it rightly or wrongly. This makes any attempt to provide the infrastucture more costly and with big delays.I'm not suggesting give the DAA a free hand on planning applications etc. but surely after the next election the planning procedure most change to improve the overall delivery timelines, Dart + and Metrolink are more examples of crazy planning delays. A minister in charge of large scale transport and other essential infrastucture projects is badly required and also who controls or regulates the likes of FCC/DCC to ensure their planning decisions are reasonable?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,051 ✭✭✭Blut2

There should be an arbitrary cut off point where any project with a budget over €100mn (or €200mn, or some other very large figure) the approval request goes to and comes straight from a cabinet minister in charge of national level infrastructure/development projects.

Having to waste years going through county councils and ABP where some local NIMBY crank or overly fastidious junior bureaucrat can delay or cancel a project that would benefit the entire country is an absolutely bonkers system that everyone can see just isn't working.

Most obviously/relevantly here in the problems with DUB's completely ridiculous capacity limits and delays to efforts to improve infrastructure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 821 ✭✭✭LiamaDelta

The legislation is very close to being passed, best thing you can do is contact your local rep and implore them to get it through before the next election.

It's tempting to believe that a Minister such as you describe would simply say yes, but that would depend on a whole range of factors, including his/her political complexion and possibly including things like short-term political calculations rather than the longer-term view. Currently there is no role for politicians at any level in planning decisions. Over the years, Irish public administration has moved in the direction of having expert bodies with the right expertise to perform regulatory roles. Politicians' role is meant to be one of putting in place the policy and legislation and ideally that it how it should stay.

I don't know a whole lot about planning but things like local area development plans, stated Government policy/guidance and of course a raft of EU directives have to be taken into account. I am not defending FCC or ABP and I have to confess that I have not read the 753-page Planning and Development Bill 2023, which has been passed by the Dail and also by the Seanad, but has to return to the Dail for final consideration as the Seanad made amendments. However my understanding is that it will, amongst other things, reduce the potential for objections to planning applications. On the other hand, a scan of the list of the section headings in the Bill suggests that there is a huge range of facets to planning, so how much difference it will ultimately make I don't know.

Post edited by EchoIndia on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,051 ✭✭✭Blut2

A cabinet level politician would have to answer to the public, and employers, though. Whereas as things stand "going through the processes" for county councils and ABP obscures/dilutes blame and delays things interminably.

For example if it was entirely down to a specific single Minister for Infrastructure's say that DUB be allowed to expand its capacity (or not) tomorrow you can bet that it would be getting approved instantly. Because he or she would have to justify to voters and business owners why if not - and everyone can see the current cap is insane and pointless.

There would be a very real, personal, cost to delay or inaction. Which is exactly whats missing from the current system.

In practice an issue like that would be brought to Government, and Ireland is going to have coalitions from now on. You can see where this might go….

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,113 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

There hasn't been a single party majority government in Ireland since 1979.

Ireland isn't going to have coalitions from now on as they've been the norm in Ireland for decades.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,968 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

Allowing a politician who likely has absolutely no experience in the area determine large planning applications is not a realistic option. It needs to be ensured that any planning application complies with all the various policies, legislation and directives which exist.

All that is not so black/white that you scan through the application and just tick them off. In a lot of cases, compliance or not is an opinion which needs to be substantiated and is robust enough to stand up to legal challenges, it needs to come from an experienced professional who has a full understanding of what they are looking at and assessing it against.

Letting a minister decide will result in every decision they make being struck out by the first judge it goes to.

I would agree with a lot of what you say here. A 'minister for infrastructure' sounds great on paper but the reality is it would take about 10 years to build it into a proper department. The main stumbling block is that you have to take away powers from other departments and also the so-called minister for infrastructure would interact in so many other areas that it would almost be impossible. For instance we already have a department for transport and a national transport authority for Dublin and Transport Infrastructure Ireland, then we have all of the local authorities with their own interests. IMO TII should be the body that brings all of these together, not a Minister.

It will end up the same as our current Housing Minister where it looks good on paper and there is a designated responsible person (scapegoat) however it is the Local Authorities that deliver housing so he is pretty much irrelevant, but it looks like action is being taken.

We already have a structure in place for delivering infrastructure and nobody has suggested this could be improved by having a minister in place. There are so many other ways to speed things up, I really don't understand what a minister will do.

• Advertisement

Actually someone has proposed a Minister for Infrastructure, though looking at the source I wouldn't say there's a lot of flesh on the bones of the idea.

https://www.rte.ie/news/politics/2024/0720/1460916-taoiseach-government-department/

That's exactly my point. The Taoiseach has proposed/mooted it. He recognises that it's a huge issue and appointing a minister to it gives the impression that something is being done and it's being taken seriously. Same thing happened with the minister for housing…and we all see how effective that is!

• Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭HTCOne

Unfortunately giving Ministers too much control of planning approval or similar has its drawbacks as the Flood/Moriarty tribunals showed. Past awarding of construction and mobile phone licences comes to mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Thunder87

Rather than ministers couldn't we just have some offshoot of ABP that specifically deals with critical national infrastructure and where applications go straight to them rather than power tripping local councils?

The current system is insane where the same body of people are simultaneously reviewing multi billion euro metro lines and somebody's porch extension in Leitrim

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭3d4life

What do other small countries ( e.g. Portugal ) do ?

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭Qaanaaq

I wouldn't give politicians any more powers or influence over planning, they are not qualified and have shown time and again that they do not do things in the public interest, but rather suit there own personal agenda.

What we need is to try and find what is causing the appeals and review process to take years and try and find a way to speed it up. I don't suggest cutting corners but maybe certain areas need to be resourced better

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Paul2019

There must be few enough small island countries that can manage to so creatively balls-up international connectivity the way we do. For about fifty years official Ireland wouldn't even entertain a debate about the economically RUINOUS Shannon Stopover policy. Politicians, Media and Trade Unionists would hear nothing against this nutty policy. The Aer Lingus Trans Atlantic service began to wither away with figures like 60% of Dublin passengers to North America flying via Manchester, London and elsewhere.

So here we are again now in 2024 with another ludicrous "Aviation Policy" that once again turns away flights from our main hub to the benefit of places like Manchester.

It doesn't seem to be anyone's job to fix this.

The Shannon stopover was a matter of Government policy so a formula to phase it out was ultimately agreed at political level, despite the protestations of the Shannon lobby, which in ways continue to this day. It was also linked to the air agreements with the US and Canada so these had to be revised. As has been rehearsed repeatedly in this thread, the Dublin cap is a planning condition and, short of the establishment of a dictatorship, and frustrating as it is, can only be changed through the planning process. I have not seen a realistic alternative proposed here or elsewhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭blackwhite

Exaggerations about dictatorships aside, if I decide I’m going to build student accommodation I can apply directly to An Bord Pleanala for permission, bypassing the local authority, because we have introduced legislation that deems strategic housing developments too important to be tied up in the local authority processes.

Similar legislation should be in place to cover strategic state assets like Dublin Airport - with applications straight to ABP directly from the start.

Handing Fingal County Council the ability to tie strategic national infrastructure up in bureaucracy for years is beyond idiotic.

• Advertisement

That's all fine for the future, as long as the planning legislation is amended to provide for such a system. In the meantime, the cap remains, unless it is undone or amended under the current planning laws. Whatever happens, no overnight solution appears likely. That's the context for my "dictatorship" reference.

Advertisement