Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donald Trump the Megathread part II - threadbans and mod warnings in OP

1113114115116117119»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,323 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

The US media is now saying that Trump is laying the groundwork to reject the election results in November if he loses. No sh!t, Sherlocks. What in the last few years would give anyone the impression that Trump would accept election results this time, considering what happened last time? And considering that getting elected is his final "get out of jail free" card, it's likely to be even more blatant this time if he does lose the vote.

The US media seems to be about 10 steps behind Trump, most of the time. They allow him to get away with constant and dangerous lies by never calling him out on it to his face. They just sit back, broadcast his nonsense and then get surprised when he actually follows through on his threats. Absolutely dreadful country.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,709 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

People are bored of his schtick now - He is incapable of shifting direction even slightly to appeal to a broader base.

He will continue to rant and rave about all the usual things and more and more people will tune out.

Inflation is dropping , the Fed are about to cut rates and Border "interactions" are at their lowest levels for 3 years plus so all his actual talking points are being taken away from him.

And that's before he goes to court and loses again and again through the month of September , including confirmation of his Federal conviction which will make him ineligible to even vote for himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭Detritus70

I wonder how much Trump spends on lawsuits.

I know he has a habit of not paying, but lawyers won't fall for that one forever and start demanding cash upfront.

And I'm hoping that his stock will drop enough that he won't make much of it. It's at $23, I'm hoping it will dip below $20 before the weekend. I see his stock as an indicator of his popularity and after a brief bump after the shooting, it's dropped quite significantly.

Fully Automated Luxury Gay Space Communism

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,078 ✭✭✭✭briany

The only question about a potential Trump loss in November is how much ground has been laid by MAGA to actually follow through on an attempt to bypass the vote and install Trump as president. Think about how close they got the last time despite it being chaotic and ad hoc and consider that they've had four years to plan. Is that being slept on or are any measures being quietly taken to counteract it?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,709 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

He spends lots of other peoples money - I saw a figure of something like $70m had been spent across the various PACs and Super-Pacs around his campaign on legal fees in the last year.

The Stock is down 41% since the brief high-point after the shooting a month ago.

He can't sell until sometime in mid-September and that current trajectory would have the stock down in the low to mid-teens at best by then.

The problem for Trump will be finding buyers for that amount of Stock - No institutional investors will want to touch it so he can't bundle up a big ball of stock and sell it as a single deal at a fixed price.

So if he wants to sell , he just basically has to put the stock out there in the open market and no matter what company you are , if a large chunk of the stock hits the open market at the same time the price will tank. Layer in the fact that the company is a complete turd and within minutes the offer price will be 60/70% down on whatever the initial price was.

It's currently valued at something close to $5B but in reality it's worthless. They say they have ~$350M in cash on hand and no debt but they are also losing 10's of millions annually so the true value is likely less than $200M if you discount the cash assets against those run rate losses - So about 95%+ less than current Stock price which is about $1 a share.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,858 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

The key difference between this time and 2020 is that Trump won't be in power if he loses come November - January. He won't have the special forces or police to command.

And do we think people will rock up this time knowing what happened to the last bunch?

Or do we think that the police and security detail will be caught short again?

If he loses this time, they should suspect the worst, but it'll be a whimper I think.

The concern is less about a Jan 6th style incident and more about the morons that have managed to get themselves into positions of authority at the county/district levels that can try to gum things up be refusing to certify results etc.

There's also the issue of these "Election watchers" that they say they have - I fully expect there to be incidents at counting locations in the swing states where these people try to gain access to places they shouldn't be or where they try to prevent the counts continuing if the "Red mirage" effect happens again where an early Trump lead is wiped out as they count early/mail in votes later in the process.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,323 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

I don't know the specific details but I'm pretty sure that a few swing states have MAGA election deniers in key election positions now. That could throw up some nasty issues if Trump loses to Harris. Time will tell, I suppose. But the US media needs to start calling out Trump for what he is, rather than just broadcasting his dangerous nonsense and rolling their eyes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,078 ✭✭✭✭briany

Steve Bannon championed the so-called 'precinct strategy' in late 2021.

He's called for MAGA activists to infiltrate the election process at every level, right from the ground up.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,530 ✭✭✭Flaneur OBrien

I was just thinking about "Make America Great Again" and trying to figure out when/what era are they talking about and harking back to.

It's probably some weird 1950's atomic age combined with 60/70's "wild times on the open highway" with some Reagon era Pepsi/Coke and possibly Spielberg days. When America were seen as the good guys.

The interesting thing of that of course (aside from it looking good on the surface if you're white and straight, just don't look below!) but the interesting thing is this was also a time when companies were taxed properly. Where CEO's were not making 250x the pay of the lowest paid employee. And that money was spent on things like infrastructure and education.

It could be a good campaign to run. Make America Truly Great Again. Tax the corporations and CEOs, fix the roads, teach the kids. Remember what made America Great in the first place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,774 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

The lawyers acting for him directly and indirectly are as culpable as him. A lawyer representing one of the persons being sued by the company that the election-deniers said was responsible for the "faulty" count result was kicked off the case by the judge after she ignored orders from him not to make public evidence in the case. She ignored his specific order and released what the judge described as thousands of emails which were evidence in the case. The person she was representing said he is going to appeal the judges order removing her from the case. To this day, she and her former client [he not being Trump - just one cog in the wrecking machine] refuse to accept that Biden won the 2020 election.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,822 ✭✭✭✭banie01

I'd place the genesis of MAGA and it's "Great Again" sloganeering even earlier tbh. The pro-Germany "America First" movement that was championed by Charles Lindbergh in the late 30's up to late 1941 saw the same arguments that Trump raises re Russia trotted out in support of Nazi Germany. Even some of the emblems and iconography if MAGA was born out of America First.

The links between the America First movement and the then mainly dormant KKK shouldn't be overlooked either IMO. The solid 30% that those ultra nationalist, supremacist & isolationist America First & now MAGA had garnered in support cannot be ignored. It points to a large wellspring of Koolaid drinking idiots ready to fall in behind a demagogue.

A lot of interesting historical and academic research on the topic and the origins of the current Trumpism policies in those America First policies of almost 100yrs ago.

Also it shouldn't be ignored just how much support Germany had in the US prior to Dec 11th 1941 (German Declaration of War). Indeed it was really only after the Greer incident in Sept 1941 that Germany and the America First movement became widely opposed.

Also of note and contributing to the policy environment in both the 40s and continuing into MAGA, the policies and supporters of the German American Bund.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,944 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Well that's the thing about "Make America Great Again", it's so unspecific that it basically just means "Whenever you thought things were great, that's what I'm going to bring back". It's generic enough that it appeals to everyone's own over-romanticised notions of when they thought the country was best for them, while also meaning absolutely nothing particularly in relation to how bad things may have been for many other people at that same time. It's an utterly meaningless statement with zero substance.

I guess "I'm going to do the things you like, and get rid of the things you don't like" wouldn't fit on the red caps.

This is all part of his "They stole the election from me" build up.

If Harris wins he'll say it's not legitimate because she staged a coup on Joe Biden and she should never have been running and because he's the only "legitimate" candidate , he should be the winner.

Probably, but who really (who matters) will truly care?

Advertisement