Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia-Ukraine War (Threadbanned in op)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,548 ✭✭✭weisses

I used the term overstretch, It can happen when you are gaining momentum and you want to use the opportunity of facing little resistance to push forward. I don't know the goal of this Ukrainian incursion but I wouldn't be to worried from a Russian perspective. I was hoping they would go for the Nuclear power plant, encircle Belgorod, at least something that would warrant an immediate relocation of Russian troops from the Eastern front

• Registered Users Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭Paddigol

"At the start of this Kursk special operation a week ago we had posts claiming Ukrainians won't have the logistics to sustain this…" What's your point? A week ago we also had people being berated for suggesting that Ukraine were looking to hold territory in Russia… what's your obsession with trying to discredit other good-faith posters? You remind me of another poster who used to do the same thing until thread banned a few months ago…

• Registered Users Posts: 2,940 ✭✭✭Sweet.Science

So many Russians handing themselves over to Ukraine is becoming a logistical issue. What can they do with so many POWs on Russia's own land.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭Avatar in the Post

We've been here before, but if 100% applied things will get interesting in Russia.

https://www.bbc.com/news/live/cy54nn4v471t

WOW! Maybe Putin is a master strategist after all. Who else would be smart enough to clog up the enemy logistics other than 4D level genius?

🤡

• Advertisement

Ah, there's loads of reasons the Ukrainian SMO into Russia is worthwhile. It really doesn't take much thinking to be honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭rogber

Poor woman sentenced to 12 years in jail for raising 50 dollars for Ukrainian war effort

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,873 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

Just came across this commentary on Russian logistics, and how the Kursk incursion could have (intended?) consequences for the more active frontline areas:

https://twitter.com/Schizointel/status/1823737718582526037

It's a long thread, but here's the meat of it (slightly paraphrased to make it more readable!) :

another issue that Russia is going to face logistically in organizing a counter-offensive in Kursk currently [is that] Russian supply lines through the [Motorised Transport, as opposed to rail] Brigade will be stretched in order to supply the Russian FLOT. […]

Russian forces currently engaged against the ukrainians will not have the most efficient and adequate supplies in timely manner which will likely result in more land being captured by the ukrainians which they can't afford […]

if Ukraine gets too close to any of the areas that I highlighted such as Rylsk, Lgov, Chermoshnoi, Selikhovy Dvory, Oboyan, and Rakitnoe then logistically speaking, their lines to Belgorod and Kursk will be even further degraded and then it will become a siege and it will be a matter of time before Ukraine captures two major Russian population centers.

[…] they cannot afford to allow Ukraine to advance further and must Marshal necessary forces to counter-attack. The problem with that though is to rally the forces needed. They will need to strip the logistical resources from the front lines in Ukraine which will make those areas vulnerable to Ukrainian counter-attack

This all sounds plausible, and the recent feck-ups - stationary columns being easy pickings for the Ukrainians, and Russian Air Force bombing their own supply trucks - are reminiscent of how they lost Kyiv due to their own 40-mile traffic jam.

Incidentally, today's "Reporting from Ukraine" YT channel talks about how the Ukranians spread "get out now" information to the Kursk public, causing them to clog up the main routes into Kursk and bogging-down the Russian troops. I haven't heard any other accounts of this, but it sounds like something the Ukranians might do!

In any case, I can see a scenario developing where Ukraine gradually eliminate viable supply routes for the Russian forces still in Urkanian territory. Blowing up the Kerch bridge would then create an almightly bottleneck on the few remaining corridors and be a prime target for missile and drone attacks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,043 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

They would obviously be brought straight back into Ukraine - not safe for them to remain near the fighting (and Ukraine has a duty of care to keep them out of harm's way).

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

There is footage (though debatable) of a Challenger two getting destroyed yesterday. Some of the usual pro UAF accounts say it's a Challenger others 2A5 Leopard

All eyes on Kursk. Slava Ukraini.

• Advertisement

Putin is simply building his next prisoner exchange cohort.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,774 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

The exception being the storm shadow missiles. Which is a shortcoming of sorts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 754 ✭✭✭thatsdaft

See now you are just projecting what you yourself are doing onto others

Do you have anything constructive to reply about the post you quoted which discussed issues of logistics or do you want to continue attacking other posters whose point you might not agree with but don’t seem to have the debating capacity to counter and instead go on a personal attack

That's what I was alluding to. I didn't see where these were continuing to be excluded. SMH if so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,774 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

It seems a pointless red line. Still hopefully given time….

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,110 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

Deafening silence from the "I just want this to end" crowd. Haven't come across any of them calling for Russia to give up it's land in exchange for peace. Odd that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,051 ✭✭✭✭josip

That doesn't make sense to me. Rylsk is at the end of a spur.

https://liveuamap.com/

While Lgov has a through-line, the UAF already have control over that line further south.

They would have to get as far as Kursk before they start to impact any other rail routes.

Most/all of their equipment and resources will be coming from the east.

As the Guardian says today, most of the land that Ukraine is occupying has little strategic value in itself. It only becomes valuable if the Russians try to oust them.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,800 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Double post

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭Virgil°

They haven't been handed their new scripts yet. Or maybe they're keeping their heads down in case they get sent to catch HIMARs rounds in Kursk.

Also waiting for people like Wagenknecht in Germany, Wallace at home, useful idiots like Roger Waters to come out with statements like "Russia should simply withdraw from Kursk, fighting will only prolong the suffering of Russians and serve the interests of warmongers".

Yet Wagenknecht for one has the absolute nerve to call the invasion a "dangerous escalation", no longer even pretending not to be pro Russian

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,674 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Mod

AndyBoBandy I deleted your post, please don't advocate for war crimes to happen, for either side, that goes for everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭Paddigol

Collecting political prisoners is almost an industry over there it seems. I've a friend, living in China for close on 20 years now, married to a Russian and with a few kids… you'd be absolutely insane to pop over to the motherland for a visit. Going by his social media posts he's been there in the past year visiting in laws… not a hope in hell I'd take the risk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,321 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

Your point about Kursk having little strategic value is interesting.

I initially thought the Russians were just taken by surprise, and given they were already stretched needed time to react.

But as time goes on, maybe that is the case. Maybe they are thinking "go ahead, just take Kursk". It doesn't feel like they are doing everything they can to retake the ground. But maybe I'm giving them too much credit here.

Otherwise it would seem that the Russian military is really on the floor here and it will be very hard for them to sustain a hot war of this intensity for much longer. Let alone to restore the borders of Peter the Great's time, or whoever Putin is trying to emulate.

Yes, wouldn't go near the place for as long as these maniacs are in charge, any foreigner is potential pawn in a future prisoner swap game

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 485 ✭✭SoapMcTavish

https://www.rte.ie/news/2024/0815/1465055-ukraine-russia/

"Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky said he met top officials to discuss the humanitarian situation and establish a military commandant's offices "if needed" in an occupied area that Kyiv said exceeds 1,000sq/km."

Will Russia let the UN in ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭amandstu

As well as being completely repugnant .

I hope no one will defend what was suggested and it would be nice if the poster of that trash was to have a complete change of heart and request that their post be deleted .

Edit I hadn't seen that the mods have deleted that post now....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 539 ✭✭✭junkyarddog

The Ukrainians are doing the exact opposite of what the russians would do to them.

Remarkable really,considering.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,051 ✭✭✭✭josip

I should clarify my original post that parts of Kursk Oblast have little strategic value. Kursk city would have considerable strategic value, but I can't see the Ukrainian offensive going that far. It would be very exposed on both flanks, their supply chains would be vulnerable and the manpower required to surround and capture a city of half a million would be well beyond UAF capabilities at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 754 ✭✭✭thatsdaft

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭amandstu

If Ukraine can keep a sizeable amount of Russian territory (and threaten a repeat elsewhere) I wonder how this will affect Donny VS 's plan to stop the war in 24 hours if he gets in?

Should he be asked by one of his suck it in "interviewers" if his plan for Ukraine is still viable ?

Advertisement