Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Restaurant Recommendation Thread - Anyone for seconds?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

So cross the river at the bridge from Penrose Quay, then down Albert Road onto Centre Park Rd, as opposed to continuing straight on Kennedy Quay?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,597 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Exactly. Otherwise you're walking through the old port with obstacles and an open quay side. Rough area too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,907 ✭✭✭sporina

Not a restaurant review, but just a Sudanese coffee in Blue Café. Spiced with cardamom and ginger, perhaps black pepper too. Very warming on this drizzly, grey day.

Lovely owner; I think they do food as well, so I must return to try that.

Dosa Spot (formerly Ignite) on Washington Street seems to be opening.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,079 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭Ruginator

Looks like Perry Street didn't last long in Dripsey. Opened in March and closed already. Next up.....

https://www.yaycork.ie/the-boat-house-coffee-shop-just-announced-another-much-larger-location/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,907 ✭✭✭sporina

mad - you only reviewed Ignite a few days ago…

The newly opened Dosa Spot, Washington Street.

Crispy masala dosa (€11) with spiced, herby potato filling. The accompanying dips and rasam didn't hold back on the flavour and spice. Delicious!

Also, excellent masala chai (spiced tea) for €4.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,477 ✭✭✭Harika

Treated myself twice to Samosas last week.

Once at the Sensasion stall at the Mahon farmer's market and at the Stewstore in Douglas. Both excellent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,172 ✭✭✭✭sammyjo90

Ooh This reminds me of Kasi cafe in dublin! I must go check it out

Cafe Depeche on Lancaster Quay have moved into their next door space, and the new food menu looks seriously good. I love this cafe.

I haven't tried any of the food yet, but will report back when I do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭Rfrip

doing great work for us @igCorcaigh 😀

So, I tried the French onion soup in Cafe Depeche.

A bit underwhelmed tbh. The onions were not nearly caramelised enough, so it was a grey soup of softened onions which lacked flavour. No beef broth; it could even have been helped with a little salt... The Gruyere on baguette topping was a bit sloppy, and not toasted enough, as it should be.

I didn't give any feedback, maybe I should have, but wasn't prompted for any.

But I will try again. The other soup is a smoked chicken Mexican tortilla soup. Sounds good.

Coconut - Glanmire
    Ordered for delivery and ETA of 30 min given. After 20 min the driver called to the door. Its a 10 min drive to us from there, what indicates how this abomination of food was cooked. Tasteless, microwaved - would not recommend.

I walked by all the time and looked nice, should have read the reviews beforehand…. :(

A takeaway putting food out in 10 minutes doesn't seem unreasonable to me. What takeaway food is cooked from scratch?

Can't say I'm surprised, really. They don't have a great track record with food.

It really annoys me, though, when professional chefs don't know how to make basic, classic dishes or when they appear to not know what cooking terms mean.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭notAMember

Thanks for posting, and the review. I find it hard to agree that the menu looks good. The menu would put me off there in how it is written. How they are describing the food is complicated, too hard to understand honestly. Even having read it a few times now, I still don't fully get it. I can't imagine what someone running a translation tool would make of it, and how do you even order it without sounding like an eejit who can't form a sentence.

Take the example of the charcuterie board item called "Shouldn't have done that Ireland" Firstly, what? You say "I'll have a shouldn't have done that please"? And on the board is a red cabbage panna cotta. I can't even grasp what that could be and how a panna cotta works on a charcuterie board? Maybe it's not a charcuterie board but some sort of deconstructed item? Also don't understand calling a menu item "Chicken are Chicken". "Chicken Sandwich" works fine lads, and if there's some in joke or meme for "chicken are chicken", I don't know it. This gives it a feeling of exclusion, not being part of the cool gang who gets it.

If you're a vegetarian, there isn't much for you there either, just one lonely item on the whole menu (poke?) and it's not well marked as either vegetarian or vegan, which it could be. Both the soups there are meat-based, at least french onion soup usually is, and the boards and all the sandwiches have meat. It's easy to do a meat-free board, include some roasted veg, olives and cheese, and not too tricky to do a veg or cheese sandwich either.

So not a well balanced menu imho.

• Advertisement

It's a Depeche Mode themed cafe, so the names of the dishes are word plays on Depeche Mode songs.

The Panna cotta does seem a bit odd, but I'd like to try it before judging.

Going by the soups, however, I don't have high hopes.

Duh! I didn't cop the Depeche Mode songs link, despite being well aware of the Depeche Mode obsession of the owner!

It's heavily DM inside, with a crown and robe.

The lighting makes it hard to photo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭notAMember

Hah! Depeche Mode! Jeez.

I wouldn't dis anyone's musical taste, and if you're running a business you can theme it anyway you like, but typing "Are Depeche Mode" into google, it prompts "…still alive", so I'd hazard a guess that a fair proportion of the potential cafe customers who eat poke may not be familiar, making the themed menu kinda baffling.

And I happily nominate you to be a Cabbage Panna cotta guinea pig. Bon appetite.

I've noticed a good number of older visitors though, which is good, hopefully it'll find the right crowd. It's certainly unique.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,211 ✭✭✭✭rob316

He's a nice guy but he can not cook. His last venture was pizza's with things like fried onion rings and curry as toppings. He tried the poke bowls as a standalone business, didn't work.

To be fair that end of Washington street, not much survives unless you have an exceptional offering.

There was also Movida - a really awful tapas bar where Latitude 51 is now.

Post edited by the beer revolu on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,211 ✭✭✭✭rob316

People don't actually like themes and quirkiness when it comes to food, especially a Depeche mode theme.

Keep it simple, high quality ingredients.

• Advertisement

Hard Rock Café is just one example of many, many, very successful themed restaurants. "Especially a Depeche Mode Theme" 😂. Subjective much?

People seem to be forgetting that Café Depeche has been operating as a Depeche Mode themed cafe for years - people either don't realise or don't care.

If this restaurant was any good, people wouldn't give a fiddler's whether it was themed or not. There's nothing themed about the food - it's just titles on a menu.

Advertisement