Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

150KTubs - future career in Virgin Radio and other soulful pursuits **Mod: Read OP**

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,569 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

No matter how unpleasant RT is (or perceived to be) a bloke should be able to pop to the shops for a packet of fags and have a few pints in peace.

No one wants some gom pointing a camera in your face while aggressively asking questions about a virus from 2 years ago.

Ah come off it. That plank was in the wrong.

I still know his payments were shady, he's not a good guy, he's pathetically slippery…but he should be able to go for a pint in peace.

As an Irishman…it's our god given right to have a few pints in peace no matter what **** show you're part of.

A complete fnckwit that lad in the shop recording on his phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭nonetheless

He has stated on his Evoke page something that is highly misleading to put it mildly. If you were to ask him some awkward questions however politely. Tell me in all honesty, do you think he would answer you? or shoot the breeze as he makes out. This is the point I am making here.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭fplfan12345

I would like to see a video of him explaining why he didn’t return the money to the Irish tax payers having said he would return it.

Until I see his explanation I have no choice but to assume he is a liar.

Seems like more of a ‘man living off the people’ rather than being a man of the people.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,569 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

So what if he said that?

We all talk crap.

To think he's gonna stand by that when some headtheball approaches him filming him when he's out getting some cigs in a shop and having a few pints is off the wall.

Get a grip. You're too caught up on a line he said in an interview.

BTW my posting on this thread previously has in no way been positive about RT.

What is your problem?

I don't need to get a grip on anything and frankly your tone and involvement doesn't smell too good and funnily enough comes at a point when I mentioned that I would go to a moderator or the guy that runs Boards.ie.

Do you have a problem with that?

Because it sounds to me like you do. I am not the one that needs to get a grip.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭Tork

I am no fan of Tubridy's but he was dead right to ignore that lad and just keep walking. Most public figures blank those "citizen journalists" who confront them waving a phone in their face. It's the least worst option because we all know those lads don't want to have a civilized chat. They want a gotcha moment and engaging with them increases the risk of a mis-step. No matter what you think of Tubridy or other public figures, having somebody hostile waving a phone in your face is an intimidating experience. Ignoring them leaves them with nothing but the sound of their own voices shouting into the void. Does anybody seriously think that anything meaningful would've come of that particular conversation? Within moments of the video starting Tubridy was being called a Fckin scumbag and accused of lying to the Irish people about Covid, excess deaths and experimental vaccines. It was never going to be anything other than that lad screaming at Tubridy and he was right to walk away.

My purpose of that post was to highlight that Tubridy is stating one thing in his publication but in reality has no intention of following through or shooting the breeze (as he puts it) with anyone however polite or impolite they are with him - especially if the questioning became awkward. Let me be clear to avoid any confusion, I am not condoning the way they addressed him or asked him the question. I am pointing out that Tubridy is making out that he would engage and answer x,y and z. Maybe he is talking crap as humberklog has stated but it is disingenuous and misleading of him to publicise or paint himself in a certain light when in reality such a scenario is not only very unlikely to happen but the chances are he would not engage with anyone anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,707 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Another one here to defend Tubs in this situation.

Never thought I'd say that, but loons approaching you with a phone and following you around aren't worthy of anyone's time.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭fplfan12345

Feels like we are waaayyyyy off topic.

It’s a shame that someone had access to him like that and wasted the opportunity with nonsense talk.

It was a good opportunity to ask the question that the Irish people want answered - Where is the money you owe the Irish public Ryan ? It looks like theft Ryan so please explain. Why haven’t you paid us back the money like you said you would ?

Then leave the space to allow him to address that singular point only.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭hawley

This happened a few years ago, so it was before people knew about him taking under the counter money.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭Paterson Jerins

Does "Nothing Burger" mean nothing to you???

The abominable Doc would not be happy with your post.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,004 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

All the more reason not to go around giving interviews giving the impression you are approachable in public.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,123 ✭✭✭RoTelly

TBH my own experience of RTÉ, at this point I think I should door stop some executives, I love to door stop one of their former executive who's out on sick leave at the moment. But I am too nice. I think also that those in the media that have played along with his sickness at this point should really consider even contacting him for an interview.

Nothing meaningful ever came from RTÉ executives, so I only imagine much like everyone else they are normal citizens pretending to do some type of work. Can you imagine Dee Forbes was RTÉ's de-facto Editor in Chief !

______

Just one more thing .... when did they return that car

Yesterday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭StevenToast

I thought Tubridy was the "most trusted man in Ireland"?

I thought he was beloved by all its children?

Why are Irish people and children giving him shìt on the streets?

Maybe its because he isnt as popular as some on this thread would have you believe.

Tubridy should be left alone and he should leave us all alone aswell....

Just go away and return the 150k.

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,730 ✭✭✭Tow

Ryan, If you returned the 150k like you said and kept the mouth shut, you would be sitting pretty in your Montrose studio this morning.

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭Yellow_Fern

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,730 ✭✭✭Tow

In the Dail Committee meeting Ryan said he would pay back the money if asked to.

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭Bobson Dugnutt

• Registered Users Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭yagan

If he's as wealthy as some would have us believe on this thread then he'd have no need to draw attention unto himself, unless he craves attention, good and bad.

If a dark cloud of public opinion hung over me for engaging in the barter account irregularities I'd retire from the limelight if I were as well off as he is reported to be.

It is my opinion and not a factual assertion that he participated in the barter account subterfuge because his ego would not allow him to take a pay cut along with his colleagues because he felt he's the star that keeps them in work.

The public goodwill that funded his basic pay and support staff has taken a major knock from the revelations around the barter account subterfuge.

It's not over by a long shot but his ego still has him believing he did not participate and benefit from subterfuge.

Post edited by yagan on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,848 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

He did even more than that. He said he would return the money if the work was not done. Period. No asking required!

• Advertisement

On the Tubs video ambush, I think we have to ignore, to a certain extent, that Tubs said he'd shoot the breeze with anyone that asked. Nobody ever means that to include dealing with some dozehead that wants an amateur "exposé" for Twitter about Covid conspiracies.

Now, had it been a 5 second clip doing a "Hey Ryan, any chance you could spare 150k for a poor licence fee payer", and left him alone after capturing a brief grimace from Tubs, I'd have a laugh. Others might say even that is too much, but I do believe he should feel the pain to the extent of getting a big of guff about it.

But shouting off to Tubs on video about Covid (as if he was proven to have maliciously uttered falsehoods) and following him out the door becomes harassment unless you're a journo and there is an actual legal crime being investigated.

Now Tubs definitely has committed a crime, but it's a moral one, rather than criminal.

We should let this part of the debate go, as it is having the rather unfortunate impact of eliciting some sympathy for poor Tubs, and we can't be having that!

Well I find it weird but predictable that the conversation was with Spiceland, yet you respond 😊

Normally I make it a rule not to engage with either of you or well... whatever). But yes, I have absolutely no problem Dude, seriously.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭Bobson Dugnutt

Rather like Tubs made it a rule not to talk to some gammon-faced conspiracy theorist. See how that works?

Jesus, that was quick. And it wasn't from Emmet either.🤔

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭Tork

I would like somebody to do some doorstepping and more investigating but so-called citizen journalists aren't the people for the job. We all know that we're not going to get a meaningful response from any of these people. Doorstepping somebody or coming up to them on the street rarely produces a gotcha moment. 99% of the time all you'll get is the door closing again, silence or "no comment". It's only amateurs like Cathal Crotty's father (remember him?) who'll blab to the press and give them quotable lines.

All this tangent shows is how irrelevant Tubridy has become as an actual broadcaster. We're discussing an encounter from April 2023.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭Bellbottoms

I agree with you in principal. The money was paid in advance for work. So why pay it back.

The problem is going into a Dail commitee and telling them

“if that work is not called upon to be done, of course the money goes back

Once you do that you have lost. You might not be legally required to pay it back. But you have said you will and haven't. Better to have said nothing and kept the money. I am sure he assumed at the time he would be reinstated and make the apprences in due course. But that didnt happen.

I suspect before Tubs makes what ever return to RTE, he will pay the money back. Pat himself on the back and said he his a great chap.

There is no way he can return to RTE without paying the money.

And he said that to the Dail committee because he knew, he absolutely knew, that it was the only publicly acceptable position to take.

Id love to see him back in front of a committee and get asked "so, we see you didn't pay it back, but we don't recall seeing your face on Renault ads recently".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭Bellbottoms

Absolutley. TBH he should have left that meeting and arraged the personal apperences for the following week.

No idea why he didn't. That quote will follow him around for the rest of his career.

Not trying to be a d1ck. But a mediocre presenter at best, who has a fairely mediocre magazine show on Radio 1. With a lot of listners carried over from Morning Ireland and the school run. The only thing he had going for him was his on air character or personality.

The hubris and greed of whole barter thing sort of soured any trust or affection that a lot of people felt towards him.

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭Paterson Jerins

What did you predict exactly Doc Bobson???

Did you predict that Callan would have more listeners than Tubs did a year ago?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭StevenToast

Emmet Spiceland and Dr. Bobson Dugnutt have no connection to each other at all.

None whatsoever.

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

Advertisement