Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Umbrella Academy [Netflix] [**SPOILERS**]

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Must actually finish that season; enthusiasm kinda waned quickly once it became Yet Another Apocalypse plot. With a lot of sitting around the hotel bar.

While in general, there was always this lingering niggle in my head that the show struggled to commit to its tone. It was always most enjoyable when it just leant into the craziness; thinking here if the guy with a fish bowl for a head. Never any explanation given, just .. there it was - but then they killed him off after an episode. Probably too hefty on the FX budget.

And this season, there's a distracting use of vignetting in every scene. Really distracting in some locations that makes it a very ugly watch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,018 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Probably for the best that they wrap it up. I enjoy it as a bit of fluff, and Five is just such a great character, but it's also wearing itself out a bit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,955 ✭✭✭cdgalwegian

Season 3 not as enjoyable as first 2 in lots of ways, such as really really annoying characters (sparrow Ben), but mostly because it felt like it was treading water, until the finale's revealing of daddy Reggie's (quite interesting) motives. This made it all feel like a season of filler episodes. I did enjoy the filler opportunity to flesh out Klaus' story though, because it did need fleshing out.

I want to know more about Reggie's home world now, and the machinery of the multiple universes.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Finally, finally finished season 3 after a long time gathering dust and yeah I think you cut to the chase here. I really struggled to finish this - clearly by the dates of my posts - but as you point out there were a lot of filler episodes, even if some like those with Klaus gave him much needed fleshing-out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,073 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Nick Offerman, Megan Mullally and David Cross join the final season - EW

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,191 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Post made yesterday to celebrate the group's birthdays.

Release date narrowed down to 2024

• Registered Users Posts: 3,179 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

Brellies... 🤣 i like that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,776 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Netflix announced today season 4 will drop August 8th

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,776 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I'm gonna need some youtube recap, i reckon..

• Advertisement

Yeah I normally try watch the previous season of something before the new season comes, but TUA isn't really a good enough show for me to bother this time. I enjoy it and it has its moments, but it can be a long slog a lot of the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,908 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

It really peaked fantstically in Season 1. Been kinda downward since.

Said it before but it was always a show that struggled to nail its tone for me; like it wanted to be completely goofball and like something akin to The Tick but kept throttling back its more self-evidently fun aspects. Like, a brief villain was a guy with a goldfish in a bowl for a head; brilliant! But wait, that's too silly and too much fun, back to everyone standing around bickering.

Suppose it could just have been a budget issue, which wouldn't be the first time for these mid-tier hits on Netflix. Like others I will also need a recap before I give the last season a spin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,058 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

Wait for Man of Recaps to post one, closer to release date. I've found his recaps great. Here is his recap for Season 2

Back tomorrow, here is recap for previous season

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Bellbottoms

Season four, not so great. This show should have probably finished after season 2.

episode 1, not great…

episode 2 better…

episode 3.. ok, i want to see whats happening now…

Not really much better or worse than last season. Mercifully short with only 6 episodes, and as per every season, Five is still far and away the best character/actor.

It was fine, but definitely the right decision to end it. Not something I ever see myself missing or thinking of rewatching.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

The show has never been perfect, but previously got by with some clever use of it's good characters.

Season 3 struggled to balance things, and by Season 4, they just didn't even know what to do with the team anymore.

Considering it was a shorter season, they were really inefficient with their timings too. Properly wasting time on some elements, and speeding through other points that were more important. Really disappointing final season.

Anyway, it went out with a bit of a whimper. Good when it was good, and just forgettable when it wasn't. But fair play to Netflix for giving it a go. Hope Aidan Gallagher does well, seems a good young talent; Five was consistently one of the stronger characters.

• Advertisement

Elliott Page has been the weakest link in the show since the beginning, in my opinion, and that hasn't changed with this season. Always so moody. The rest of the cast for the most part seem to be enjoying themselves.

The season was grand and did its job. As Penn said, won't be rushing to watch this series again.

Saw an article on TV line before it released saying to watch to the very end as if it was important

We saw flowers. I know they're marigolds representing the Academy but not exactly a big thing.

Also who do Claire and Diego/Lila's kids think their parents are now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,908 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Season 1 was fantastic.

Using "I think we're alone now" in the finale just reminded me of how good it was back then and the magic of that scene in the premiere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,332 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

Very disappointing , nonsense story line for Klaus when he wasn't completely forgotten.

Too much Viktor , 5 still the stand out character and actor . Villains very weak this season .Must have had next to no budget as I barely remember a super power being used during the show .Makes you wonder why they bothered forcing in the return of their powers.

The show has always sort have been about Viktor. The show has always been built around Elliot Page for better or worse. With Five being a fan favorite and scene stealer.

The whole storyline with Ben was pretty one note and boring. I think everyone was more invested in what Fives storyline. This should have been a one show miniseries. It has never lived up to season one.

I doubt they had a huge budget. Even when CGI/greenscreen/powers were used, most of it looked pretty awful.

I have no idea why they spent money on David Cross, Nick Offerman and Megan Mullaly. They had nothing to do.

How did the guy go from seeing Klaus come back to life to using him as a medium that can channel the dead? When he was hung up I thought the guy was going to charge people to kill him.

I thought they were all fun enough. Jean and Gene a little grating as the episodes rolled on but I didn't really mind them in it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

Cross, Offerman & Mullaly were grand. I felt they were all very much playing to type.

Vanya was annoying but interesting in S1. I felt the character grew in S2, and was decent in S3. This season Viktor was just sort of bland and toothless. They hinted at a plot-driving ability, only to neglect it seconds later and his main conflict resolution also fell really flat.

Klaus was utterly wasted, and what was worse, his character took time away from more meaningful storylines.

They hinted at something resembling a proper emotional arc for Luther, but just decided not to pursue it.

Personally, I thought the "drama" in the second to last episode was one of the strong points of the season. I thought it was very natural, and the two actors really sold it well, but then it just led to more incomplete character arcs in the final episode - which was at odds with what the show usually does so well.

And the main "threat" of the season, very weak.

• Advertisement

Cross, Offerman & Mullaly were grand. I felt they were all very much playing to type

They had nothing to do!

What was Luthers arc. I must have missed that completly .

Advertisement