Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dairy Chitchat 4, an udder new thread.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,044 ✭✭✭alps

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭grass10

I am currently restricted and know exactly what I am talking about my vet is testing and reading properly but I can't say that about others

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,664 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

I know myself there are animals not run through a crush to read them. Animals read in shed, read in field, ah they're grand. We're paying for the testing should be done right not just giving a clear test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,255 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

my vet was inspected few years ago ….he arrived to read my test to find dvo already in my yard ….he didn’t know he was going to be there and neither did I …..vets have to let dvo know every week there lost of tests that week ….what day and what time …..maby a fairly old school vet might bend the rules of interpretation but I seriously doubt it …..it dose a disservice to a farmer if he dose …..some short term pain far better than long term gain ….if an ainmal is let go now …remains in a herd and not tested for 12 months again there will most likely be a far bigger problem ……a few here speculating and putting 2 and 2 together and getting 5 …..then a few with real experience and knowledge of tb breakdowns ….they may not be giving the answers some want to here but they are the ones people should be taking heed of

thought from taking to my vet day of test when he told me I was on severe there was a tolerance of 1/2 mm max ….on normal test it was 4 🤔

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Tonynewholland

The vet just goes by what he sees and measures. If it’s a standard test they pass if severe they fail. Some herds react differently with avian TB which doesn’t mean they have TB.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭cjpm

Yeah i heard about that case. The dept traced it and it turned out it was a Colombian vet that tested that bunch of cattle. After each line went through the crush he used to do a line of cocaine each time. 😉😉😉

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,239 ✭✭✭Grueller

And it was 700 cow herd with a crush that only held 3 cows.

Lost a little in translation...if ANY increase in size over the top lump...which wpuld be your ½ml..😉

What gets me though is that when a lump appears, the calipers is checked up, down, sideways and exact...which is fine but..

the measurements day one were pure squeze-squeze.."9/9"..."8/8"...as approximate as you like..

What if day 1 measurement was ½ml out?

Well, the what if will be…you'll be be locked up and down 10grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭green daries

Agreed everyone I ever heard mention that had an inconclusive cow ended up with them being a reactor eventually. There's no more inconclusive around here the last ten years at least

• Advertisement

11 inconclusive cows is mad. Strange there were no actual reactors

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭Sheep breeder

The avian test is something our vet always said was important, if feeding meal in a passage way and birds present there should be avian lumps as a rule of thumb, as for lumps if there is a bad breakdown they will be visual lumps as plain as day, on animals in early stages the lump will be like a blister and hot to the touch and have seen this with a stock bull. The problem that I see personally is no real desire in the department to make progress with TB,a neighbour recently lost 60 dairy cows in one test the department answers were to cull the vaccinated badgers sett and blame him for zero grazing,

I actually took it from vet that under severe the tolerance was 1 to 2 mmmax ….not1/2 mm🤔🤔…..agree re day 1 measurement …little to nine done …should be

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭raindodger

Dont zero graze myself ,but cant understand why it is seen as a cause for tb as compared to silage bales or pit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭cjpm

Fresh badger Shiite or piss mixed with grass possibly more dangerous than what comes out of fermented silage

• Registered Users Posts: 7,001 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

Lad says cows can't pick the best bits compared to grazing, lad was saying to me. Secondly more grass from far away been consumed by the cow

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,220 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

JUst my opinion but I think it may have to do with the increase in deer population.we used never have them around here but sightings have become a common occurrences and they very mobile and travell quickly

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭grass10

Many reasons why tb has got worse in the last couple of years but a lot of it is occurring inside the farm gate and can be reduced if many farmers changed things a little you would reduce your risk big time

Feeding calves in fields turn the troughs upside-down when calves have eat

Clean out water troughs regularly

Reduce overcrowding in sheds in winter

Provide enough grass to cows and calves/yearlings all summer if you can't do that their is a cattle mart in every town in Ireland to solve the problem I am all the time looking at hungry cattle which in turn will lick the ditches and pick up every bug and these hungry animals have low immune systems and for some strange reason these herds keep going down with tb

Their are many other things like infected wildlife, dept not overly interested in solving the problem vets making a living out of it, possibly zero grazing,some farmers in denial about the fact that their is an infection in their herd and just seem to have 1 aim which is to get a clear test and bury their heads in the sand again and go back doing the same as they always did

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 345 ✭✭lmk123

you’re right the population is gone mad. The problem is they make it too hard to get a license etc. to hunt deer. I have 2 guns, neither deer caliber, I can easily take out a fox / rabbit / crow to 200m but need to do a 2 day course to hit a deer which is a far larger target. Like a lot of things the hunting population is an ageing / dying one and they ensure to put enough obstacles in the way for new people to get into it.

This appeared today. I find it depressing to be putting winter grazing plans ito action when we're (in my mind) in still med summer..

In any case, how many use these targets and work by them? We don't extend rotation until mid September hitting about 25 days by then. We can be quiet a bit off thses targets but find we hold much better regrowth from shorter rotationswhen added to grazing better quality, I reckon is just as viable a system. Any views?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,001 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

I'm taking out some paddocks atm, it will prob get me in the long run but silage is tight

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Shannonsurfer101

Just catching up on pervious posts in relation to building work without planning. Is this a ticking time bomb? with the ever increasing storage capacity requirements are ppl taking the risk to avoid objectors.

Even ppl who are actively engaged by the dairy industry and endorsed to promote our green sustainable image; are flaunting the rules with zero planning.

Comical, considering said person has aspirations to progress in the IFA.

last few years I’ve been following graise consulting autumn plan ….makes sense in so many ways

https://x.com/graiseconsult1/status/1824178283111747699?s=46&t=NzjB-6XEwOr9bmgv7m2wYA

• Registered Users Posts: 11,642 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

On slurry and storage. I heard someone on podcast say a separate tank will be needed for digestate returned from an AD plant and that tank would have to be covered but not by slats. The separate tank made sense but not the covered bit as the gas would already be gone from the spent digestate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,617 ✭✭✭roosterman71

What rules are being flaunted by zero grazing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,746 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

He got the wording/spelling corrected before you replied

Slava Ukrainii

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,831 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

I find it hard to take any advice/targets seriously when the massive uncertainty of weather and growth rates are ignored.

The odd titbit is useful from the grass newsletter and I always scan thru it but my eyes gloss over when it drifts into the figures they expect from their idea of the “model farmer” and his “typical 100 cow herd”

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Registered Users Posts: 44 yewdairy

Moved away from these targets to shorter rotations here and a lower farm cover aswell.

But we are always finished grazing here by the 1st week of November so never make much sense for us to have a huge amount of grass on the farm by the 1st of October

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭older by the day

Here on a mixed farm, you have to use experience, when farming. If the weather is good you should graze. Closing early and late spring doesn't work here. I feed what I have in Autumn and the cows are left out for a few hours as they calf. But silage is nearly always fed till May day.

• Advertisement

Ye these dates of having first rotation done by early april are an annoyance when land is saturated. We all know our own farms, mine loves a drought. Plan is when cows go out they hopefully aren't coming back in til mid or late October

Advertisement