Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sports Extra (TNT/Premier)

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

That’s now confirmed. I’m led to believe there’s only two games next weekend too, so that may be the extent of coverage from now on. Really appears since TNT took over from BT they’ve had a lot more rights losses than pick ups, even excluding the ESPN loss which was a huge cut in content.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭roadmaster

The official press release

https://www.epcrugby.com/champions-cup/content/epcr-and-premier-sports-announce-headline-broadcast-partnership

Hopefully the third channel will alleviate some of the difficulties they’ve had with bringing comprehensive rugby coverage. I don’t need to say it again - their treatment of the Top 14 in particular has been awful - that probably reached its zenith when they almost didn’t show the 2023 final live and only relented at the last minute. They have been better with the URC, but are rarely able to fulfill their commitment to show all eight games each week live in Ireland.

With the EPCR - the interesting points. TNT are out completely, Premier will have pay tv rights to the whole competition, they’ll (apparently) show every game in the Champions Cup and two each week in the Challenge Cup, fixtures for English clubs will try to avoid clashes with the FAPL (er, good luck with that!). There’s no news of FTA deals, though we know S4C and think RTE have done deals, no news of anything for England though.

also, apparently they’ve renewed their rights to said Top 14 - which hopefully they’ll treat better on their new dedicated rugby channel whenever it appears.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 TonyK45

Yes, that seems to be the new patern, two games per week instead of the previouse 5-8 games.

This week-end

Genoa v Inter
    Cagliari v Roma

Following week-end
    Napoli v Bologna
    Verona v Juventus

Regarding lertsnim comment on TNT (Red Button) TNT 5-10, there appear to be no plans to show any on this service.

Listing for these channels can be found in the online version of Radio Times (but you have to configure what channels you want displayed). Currently there is Cricket listed for Sunday evening, but nothing for other days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,784 ✭✭✭lertsnim

I think a Premier Sports 3 would be better for them to help with scheduling across all sports.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,396 ✭✭✭Acosta

Very odd that TNT appear to have significantly reduced their Serie A coverage, when they've also lost Ligue 1. That's a lot less football they'll be showing this season, if that's the case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭kooga

my ps is a Viaplay legacy sub - so no super cup on ps 1 in NI - go into other channels and Ps1 is showing the uefa super cup. So fingers x I have CL for the season ! Half time no analysis though

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭Stewball

I know Sky control the price in Ireland, but last year it was €25pm for 6 months. Sky seem to be offering the same package for €27 this season. Yes, only €2 extra, but for less live soccer available.

They have the nerve to complain about people using "dodgy boxes".

If they gave us proper service with access to most/all games, people might be more likely to subscribe.

Sky may control the price in Ireland (subject to whatever payment they’ve agreed to TNT and Premier respectively). In neither case do they control the content. At least Premier have been off buying rights, even if the issue there is space at weekends. TNT have dropped more than they’ve picked up, in fact I’m struggling to think of any new pick ups under WBD’s management (NBA, which they subsequently lost, is the only one that comes to mind).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 412 ✭✭fman

They clung on to premier league and uefa rights (mostly) which seems to be their all in one basket strategy. Premier have actually made themselves more valuable which is important if tnt were to take steps to go out on their own when that deal expires.

To add to holes in TNTs schedule wwe leaves at the end of the year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,303 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

British football fans, the primary market for TNT, simply don’t watch football from outside their leagues. Since leaving channel 4 in the mid 90s, Serie A has bounced around several channels. It was on bravo at one stage.

Sky got great mileage out of La Liga for a while but it was still only the top 2 mega clubs that had any viewers

Bundesliga is below them. Ligue 1 is further down the list.

I’ll watch them, but it’s pretty clear that most won’t and that leagues around Europe overestimated their worth.

Pretty accurate, nice to have but rarely a deal-breaker for subscribers. Their value is nowhere near the value the European leagues see in themselves (especially Spain).

There probably was a window where a niche broadcaster could have bundled the European leagues in one package. Something like when eleven sports launched but done much much better. Whether a niche broadcaster and the asking prices of the leagues could have worked is another issue.

Everything, that has happened to Laliga in terms of their position in the UK market, can be traced to the decision to dump Sky and go to Eleven Sports.

I’ve said it before but having the lead out position after Super Sunday was worth its weight in gold in terms of the exposure they got in pubs and on TVs up and down the land and they threw it away to go with an unproven streaming service that barely lasted six months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,437 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

I'd like to see a return of the freesports model for those leagues. Show all the european soccer leagues but 100% advertising funded without subscription. Since most people are going to watch on dodgy streaming services anyway they might as well cut their losses

A number of football journalists posting on Twitter/X - including James Horncastle who appears regularly on the Champions League Goals Show on TNT - have posted that the TNT Serie A deal is indeed for two games per week. The rights to the other games could apparently still be sold but looks unlikely at this point.

TNT have confirmed the two per week Serie A games (plus highlights) in a press release today.

https://www.tntsports.co.uk/all-sports/tnt-sports-to-deliver-a-season-of-unmissable-live-sport_sto20029557/story.shtml

Seems OneFootball have acquired the rights to the other Serie A games but you may have to buy something called a “Serie A Pass” at a later date.

I couldn't see any information on the Onefootball site beyond this weekend. Unless I missed it? All games, except two, are FTA on their site this weekend. The other two are a fiver each. This is a right balls having to fork out for yet another broadcaster. If I was paying for TNT by itself, and there was no Sky Sports extra pack, I'd be getting rid of it.

The two that are not free (perhaps coincidentally, but probably not) are the ones on TNT. The rest are free - for now. But they haven’t labelled them “Serie A Pass” for the fun of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,734 ✭✭✭Delta2113

First time hearing about OneFootball. Just added app to my LG TV so might check out some free coverage this weekend. Seems better organised than LiveScore.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,520 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

This Sky Sports + is abomination, why couldn't they just use the red button

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

Probably has something to do with all the + content being internet streams only instead of being broadcast on the satellite service.

We have a thread for Sky Sports+, which is a completely different thing to Sports Extra.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 TonyK45

WBD are so pre-occupied with promoting Discovery+, they no longer seem interested in updating their listing.

This was published on their website late last Thursday - but to date, the listing are not showing it.

They hardly forgot they don’t automatically get the rights because the UEFA Europa and Conference League play off rounds aren’t part of the central media rights deal? They wouldn’t make a gaff like that….would they?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,520 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

What has happened to Serie A coverage on TNT?

No match on today where as im pretty sure they'd be showing it last season no problem

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,784 ✭✭✭lertsnim

They have 2 games per week. The One Football streaming service has the rest and are free currently.

Still no mention of live Serie A games on One Football this weekend. I can only see the two TNT games on the listings.

• Advertisement

They seem to have the weekend games listed on Onefootball. I'll admit I'm not very familiar with the site but looks to me like Saturday's games are listed.

It still feels like a placeholder. Much like the french league there could be a proper deal done before the leagues come back after the international break. Serie a though will be odd with TNT having those 2 games a week locked in.

Advertisement