Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

(Site is a graveyard - How can boards save itself?) Any update?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,938 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

The majority of current affairs participants are not involved in US culture war left versus right.

Their are some people who I would class as right wing and some I would class as left wing.

The far left and far right posters seem to class anyone who is not in line with their views as against them.

I am sure their are plenty of people who could step up to mod the forum.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,453 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

I'm not an admin. And it was moved because DRP only covers infractions and forum bans. Your thread never mentioned either of those, just a threadban, so it was moved to the proper place that does cover them, which is Helpdesk. You posted in the wrong forum, it was rightly moved as per the very clear rules.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,854 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Not sure how much more there is to add to this thread that hasn't already been said in this one already, and the last one.

Weepsie's post may warrant some attention and conversation but outside of that, can there be any comment, or a commitment to a comment from someone in a position to speak as to what the Boards view is or a timeline as to when we can be told this.

Basically, can we have what Mike promised 4 months ago?

• Administrators Posts: 14,294 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Big Bag of Chips

Posters are not allowed comment on a DRP thread for warnings applied to another poster.

Posters can comment and contribute to a Feedback thread by another poster. Your thread was a feedback thread about a threadban you received. Other posters are allowed comment on those threads and offer opinion.

This is a feedback thread on site wide feedback. It has been mentioned multiple times this thread will not be used to discuss other posters. That is why warnings have been applied (after multiple on thread reminders).

Both scenarios are very different.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,278 ✭✭✭Ezeoul

And now there are new on the fly siteban rules being made up on the spot. That's not good enough

Amen. ^^

How is anyone supposed to navigate these forums when longstanding rules are ignored and new rules can be made up and applied arbitrarily.

As far as I can see, for regular posters literally nothing has changed since the last thread. That's my feedback.

I'm out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,398 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

Firstly, I'll agree the appeals process is convoluted and confusing.

DRP is to dispute official warnings and forums bans etc. Only the OP and mods, cmods and admin are allowed post.

A threadban is not an official ban, you technically can still post on the thread but you've been instructed not to and these are usually appealed via PM with the mod or in Helpdesk. Anyone can post there.

I don't understand the distinction and think the process should be the same for all of these, and that it shouldn't be a free for all.

Feedback - streamline the appeals process, don't allow disputes from a thread that someone has been threadbanned from to continue in the appeal. It's likely done to rile up the OP and make them look unreasonable in some cases.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 84,194 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

You weren't around here when Terry et. al modded After Hours were you :)

Rules made up on the spot isn't exactly how I would describe Boards now compared to what came before.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,179 ✭✭✭Bobson Dugnutt

The ignore list has gone from 50 to 200. I’d suggest using that might be a good decision for some folks. I maintain a short list myself of posters whose inane and witless opinions I simply don’t want to read. Might cut down on reported posts and moderator workload?

Reformed character.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,652 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

That might work in some threads where it is one liners rather than back and forths.

But if you have genuine posters whose input you do want to see, and they do respond\challenge the 'witless' stuff … the thread gets very confusing.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

Sidebar: why is nearly everyone in 2 groups of registered users now?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,453 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

A test method being used due to the broken Regional forums.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,677 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Because some posters had issues with the regional forums and missing posts so they are performing tests to fix from what I can see.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,854 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

All that is required is consistency and that's not happening.

I wouldn't say it's all that's required, but without it, or an intent to achieve it, things are never going to improve.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,339 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Things aren't going to improve though. The last comment from the site's owner here was September 2023, almost a year ago. He clearly doesn't care about the place. It needs real investment to become fit-for-purpose which means more staff and more ways to make money. It's amazing that the old subscription model is gone when it's literally free money.

Meanwhile, we haemorrhage good users at a steady rate without replacing them leading to a small pool of potential recruits for modding. It's a vicious cycle. Boards.ie is DVD in the age of Netflix and Amazon Prime. Without a proper commitment from the owner, it's hard to see anything but managed decline being the best case scenario.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Administrators Posts: 54,021 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

What siteban rule do you believe has been invented on the spot?

The Devs really ought to address inherent issues with the reported post pipeline, it all going to a single page in the backend is a clear issue, instead it seems to make sense that posts should go into pages separated by forum/permissions per moderator, with amalgamated page only visible for Cmods in the categories they oversee and the overall reports copied into a single feed only for the admins (which ideally, would not just be carbon copies in admin or cmod threads but instead hyperlink Cmods and admins to the direct report threads at the mod level so Mods, CMods and Admins all have the same ability to reply to those report threads and coordinate professional actions). It should never be the case that Vanilla sends a bell notification to a mod of forum X who was reported for a post they made in forum Y, mod of X is a regular user in forum Y, they should not have access to reports in forum Y, too much risk of abuse, and can have a chilling effect where users are hesitant to report posts from someone who is a mod of some other forum, knowing they can see the report. Vanilla Bell notifications probably shouldn't happen at all for the reported posts system, iirc mods at least under vBulletin were receiving email notifications when reports they had responsibility for happened.

I'm not entirely sure if the Dev accounts are even reading this though I hope it doesn't fall on deaf ears. Single page implementation for reported posts has been the case for forever seemingly and I would have hoped that was one of the things they would have implemented a change for with the changeover to Vanilla, but now it seems apparently not. In the interim, any or all mods could go an turn off bell notifications for that forum, when the site moved over to Vanilla I absolutely hated the notifications system, it is clunky as hell IMO so I purposefully went into all the forums I post in, and turned them off, this is what I see now when I click the bell, even when I have a couple ghostly notifications apparently pending:

These can be turned off in the corner of any forum:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,628 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

It was explained in this post why different actions might be taken against different posters.

Just on a note about consistency, I applied a warning to every poster involved in an offtopic discussion about another poster earlier today. Every poster involved got a copy and paste warning. I also deleted all off topic posts. I couldn't have been more consistent! This was after a number of on thread instructions and warnings. I didn't just make up the rule on the spot. Yet, I got a few PMs from a few posters telling me why they shouldn't receive a warning.

bring back rolleyes! Rolleyeam Walleyes lives on…

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 54,021 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

What warning?

Can you be specific as I am having trouble figuring out what you're referring to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,768 ✭✭✭✭28064212

There are no dev accounts (to the best of my knowledge).

In Boards.ie's heyday, there were at least three full-time developers. This was on top of non-technical staff like the community managers, and whatever non-frontend facing staff there may have been (accounts? HR?).

Now, there is a total of one, single, non-technical employee (not counting the owner, who doesn't appear to be involved in the day-to-day running). Technical requests either go to Vanilla support (who definitely are not reading anything on Boards.ie, it's just one client among many), or are outsourced to freelancers (who also aren't reading anything on Boards.ie, and may only have the vaguest notion of what Boards.ie is). In the absence of substantial investment, talk of things like overhauling the reporting system are a complete pipe dream.

Things like reviewing charters and the DRP process, items that are under the purview of admins, cmods and mods are at least a little more practical, but again, the numbers of those users are substantially down on what they used to be. Those members are barely treading water as is, and it's more likely that those numbers continue to decrease than recover. Look at CA - there are 9 mods on the mod-list in Help Desk (which would be a not-reasonable number), but a quick look at all nine's post histories tells you that only 4 are actively modding. That's not near enough for the busiest category on the site.

And all of this is happening at a time when social media has become far more adversarial, meaning the workload has not decreased in line with the reduction in users.

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,053 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

This one I presume

If anyone picks up a second warning on this thread an automatic tempsite ban will be applied.

Also warnings in Feedback would seem to be ineligible for DRP, as of last Friday.

Users being banned following one warning is mentioned in the Feedback charter. The purpose of the forum is to provide feedback not to argue with posters, take digs at moderators etc.

I think the moderation on this thread has been very lenient thus far!

Without taking digs at any particular posters or moderators.

I would suggest there is a sitewide issue:
    If there is a perception by many of the most engaged posters that it is taking far too long to ban posters they view as responsible for 'toxic' content - a view validated by subsequent admin action.
    And that said posters, whose content is viewed as toxic, are eventually site banned via their engagement with DRP process, rather than as a matter of regular mod action.
    For every poster who expressed concern about such 'toxic' content, who knows how many just stop engaging with the site.

There's a "systems failure" in the process and application of it.

If such feedback can't be brought up in this thread then I don't see the point of this thread.
    And if any mod or administrator doubts that the above scenarios have occurred, just ask and I will provide examples by DM.

I would also make the general point that there is a rule in Feedback charter:
    "Users currently serving a ban from a forum with a duration over 1 month are not allowed to post on feedback threads concerning that forum."

And this does not appear to be applied on this thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,398 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

You were very against personal abuse earlier in the thread and wanted anyone who thanked such a post to be sanctioned, in your opinion they're dicks. I can post the relevant posts if you like?

Should this not be applied consistently, or should posters that we feel are posting 'toxic content' be open to personal abuse? Who decides what exactly is or isn't toxic?

It's either a consistent rule or ad hoc moderation where some are allowed post personal but others aren't, both can't be applied simultaneously.

The reality is odyssey06, sometimes posters skate very close to the line without crossing it.

DRP is there for posters and, much as people like to claim otherwise, decisions do get overturned if a poster can argue that they haven't actually broken any rules. People having questionable opinions isn't exactly against the rules. And a poster shouldn't really be sitebanned for holding an opinion.

Also posters are very quick to cry mod bias or conflict of interest etc if a moderator who has already actioned a poster is somehow involved in a DRP or applies multiple warnings to the same poster. Without mentioning specific cases, if I have history with a poster and have banned them from PI for example, if I see them in DRP I tend to stay back and let someone else deal with it rather than be accused of targeting the poster. As moderators we do actually put a lot of consideration into moderating!

Sometimes a picture is needed to be built up. Posters on here seem to think it's us v them. Moderators and admins on this site are volunteers, giving their time freely to try serve the site and it's users to make the site a better place. But there's a (sizeable) cohort of posters who think the moderators are here to ruin the site! Funnily enough the most vocal complainers are the ones themselves not positively contributing much. (Surely there's only so much complaining you can do about a place, yet continue to visit and post daily?!?)

I've said it and will continue to say it: Moderators are dealing with a hell of a lot more angry, bitter, entitled people now than even 10 years ago. Societal attitudes have changed and Boards.ie is not immune to this. Users posting arguing, trolling, baiting, being generally negative in interactions and then complaining that moderators and moderation is ruining the site is akin to a motorist speeding, breaking red lights, drink driving, generally causing mayhem on the roads and then blaming the guards for not being there to stop them! There has to be personal accountability. And rather than viewing it as us v them, just be a bit more tolerant of the people giving their time voluntarily to try bring some sort of order on this corner of the internet.

It's a discussion forum! A bit of light hearted entertainment. It really shouldn't occupy this much of so many people's headspace! If you don't like it, or if you're getting wound up, or if you're annoyed by someone or something you've read - log off for a while. Go do something else! It'll still be here when you come back. If everyone tried to be just that little bit "better" the place would be better.

Ah! It's nice to dream ☺️

Ultimately though the posters must have crossed some lines, or the eventual end result wouldn't have been a site ban.
    This is more like a driver with convictions for speeding, drink driving, etc appealing one of those convictions - and the judge took another look at what they had been previously charged with, and instead of overturning the conviction, banned them from driving.

Personal accountability won't make the roads safer, or boards less toxic, if there's a sizable active minority who don't practice it. They have to be held to account, and that can't be done by the userbase or we'd be accused of back seat modding and attacking the poster. That can only come from the application of site moderation, and I doubt I am speaking for myself only when I say strong mod action would have the support of a large number of the most enagaged and long standing users on the site.
    I have total respect for the trojan work put in by the mods of CA for example, and the constraints they are under with tools - but that doesn't mean the moderation is as good \ efficient \ consistent as it could be.

Will boards still be here? Isn't that the point of the thread?

Many good posters, posters who contributed positively and rarely troubled the mods, frustrated at what they perceive as toxic content, have taken your advice "go do something else" to its ultimate conclusion… logged off and not come back.

Nobody is claiming there aren't problems. Of course they are. But this habit of trying to catch Moderators out is tedious! It's not just posters who are giving up on the site. Moderators are too. And I don't blame them.

On this thread we've tried to keep it on topic. We laid out a few very basic ground rules and the last couple of pages have been posters trying to get their gotcha moment wondering where these new rules came from and how posters are supposed to know what's allowed and what's not when moderators are making up rules as they go along!

Posters asking for moderators to come down harder on posters disrupting threads really only want that when it's OTHER people, not them.

And now.. I'm logging off. I've given far too much time to this today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,010 ✭✭✭✭anewme

I did see your DRP post. Could not understand it as was not in the original conversation but did see what was happening to you with responses clearly referring to issues somewhere else. It was not ok as I had thought that others were not allowed respond. The issue seemed to be that it was left open for a while so not sure if that is down to availability of mods?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement