Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Getting out of electric

1121314151618»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,917 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

One thing I'll say about family affordability....the ford focus used to be the most popular family car bought in Ireland, now it's the Hyundai Tucson which is much more expensive.

Golfs became Tiguans.

Affordable family hatchbacks became affordable family SUVs and the price jumped a lot. In both the new and used markets.

There's plenty of affordability out there

I think for most people working anything from 15 to 20k is affordable, depending on housing costs and childcare

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,439 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

If our best selling car is the Hyundai Tucson and that starts at €39k and goes up to €52.5k… Has that become our new "affordable" bracket because there is plenty of EVs in that price bracket and many many priced lower

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,588 ✭✭✭✭ted1

but why look at purchase price? Cost of ownership is very different.
    my repaymentss and electricity for the ID4 is cheaper than my fuel and maintenance costs for the 2007 Touran it replaced

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 674 ✭✭✭kaahooters

so, this is actually a really intresting question. people seem to prefer a lower initial investment, for higher running costs as tehy "feel" its better value. its how everythings becoming a subscription.

jack buys a car for 10k, and costs him 200 a month +fuel (200 a month), jack sees that as 200 and dosent see the fuel cost.

mark buys an ev for 15k, costs him 250 a month +fuel, mark researched and found out that fuel cost him 200 a month in an ice, and 50 a month in electricty. meaning a better and more affordable car long term then the ice.

• Advertisement

Depreciation is an issue as well. That's why it's useful to remember that even on a PCP plan, which relies on future values being high, an EV will be cheaper than an ICE. Again, a no-brainer

Hyundai Tucson

Retail price (not inc dealer delivery etc): €39,045

Deposit: €13665.75

GMFV: €17,570.25

Monthly Payments €305.01 for 36 months

APR: 4.99%

Tesla Model 3

On-the-road price: €38,607

Deposit €13665.75 (can be lower and attract higher monthly payments, kept the same for comparison purposes)

GMFV €11,196

Monthly Payments €301 for 48 months

APR: 0.99%

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,833 ✭✭✭User1998

You do realise that a lot of people don’t have the finances to just jump into a brand new ID4 right? Regardless of how much it may save them per month. Or some people may choose to buy a used car outright instead of being stuck in the cycle of constantly financing a depreciating asset..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,586 ✭✭✭✭fits

well you are either financing the fuel and servicing and upkeep or the depreciation. I pick the depreciation as we get to drive a modern safe car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 674 ✭✭✭kaahooters

do you get how the market works?
    so, new cars will be brought in for the first "early adoptors", tehy move on to the next v2 of the car, v3 ect (usually theses people are in high paying jobs, or status jobs)

those cars go to the 2nd hand market alowing others to own at a lower cost, ect ect ect ect ect.

its no diffrent form an ev to an ice, people are just complaning atm as ev are depericiating correctly as the market shows, and ice cars arent, still due to "covid" ( hint, its not)

the people that spen 10k on a car ten years ago, and swap every 2 - 3 years will still do that, and there starting to get really good deals on evs.

as soon as the glut of taxi ev start hitting the market in teh next 18 months, when they all start coming to the end of the cycles the more bargin evs hit the market, same thing happend in norway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,833 ✭✭✭User1998

A small Japanese car like a Toyota Yaris or similar is going to cost feck all in maintenance and repairs. And don’t forget the new EV will require expensive main dealer servicing to upkeep the battery warranty. Hardly worth changing to a brand new EV and spending thousands upon thousands in depreciation. Unless you were doing crazy mileage and spending hundreds per month on fuel.

• Advertisement

but your not financing a depreciation asset.
    If you go for PCP, the only money you need is the deposit. Which is the Same as or less than your going to buy your used car for.

My example is 8k deposit, and 250 a month.
    I was paying 250 alone in petrol+ then I had ongoing maintenance, 500 extra in road tax, €55 NCT etc

so you see it’s cheaper for me to drive a new car than a 2007 POS Touran

If I hand it back the only cost over driving a piece of sh1t ICE was 8K and no worries about depreciation, but even then that 8k can be reduced when you consider the savings on road tax, maintenance, cost of buying a used car etc

Tell me more about these expensive main dealer services?

Tesla does a not have them, VW gave me a service pLan for €300 that included 4 tyres, wipers, etc

Also the service interval is 24 months. Much longer than a ICE

Post edited by ted1 on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,586 ✭✭✭✭fits

spent very little on servicing over 84000 km on an ID.3. Running costs were tiny compared to the 06 diesel it replaced. Outside of depreciation of course which was 6000 a year. Saved 2500-3000 a year on fuel though.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,616 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

To clarify, Tesla does not have them.
    no scheduled servicing to main Tesla warranty required.

Kia require yearly service, Toyota the same to maintain the 10 year warranty buts I’d pay that as the warranty is a big plus IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭vimalandrew

My Toyota Bz4x - first three free services are over. Car has run over 55000km. They said that next- 4th service at 60000km will cost around 250 euros. Currently, for night charging in my home, it costs 17 cents and for full charge it costs 11 euros. In a month I drive around 3000km and it costs me 120 euros only.

Also who said that Toyota Yaris will cost for maintenance and repairs. From all the Toyota owners, I see there is no cost other than annual maintenance servide and also you are guaranteed to drive it for 20 years at least including RAV4.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,483 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

I suppose to return to the beginning of the thread. Out on the car park this morning this week and notice three more EVs have started parking at the office , id4, m3 and i3 BEV. All used purchases

While there is a lot of gloom around, there are still people switching. Know the guy in the ID in passing and was chatting to him. Car needed to be changed and said it was hard to look past the value in a used ID4.

The used ones are very good value at the moment tbf.

100%

3 family members bought EV in July.
    1 friend bought EV in August already and a local firm have added 5 EV transits to their fleet.

I also sold my 2020 M3P within 2 weeks on DoneDeal very close to asking price at €32k. I was asking €34,750.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭donkey balls

Have my E tron just over a year now and charge both at work&home, I do about 150km commute to work each week. Another lad in work does about 1000km a week in an ID4 reckons diesel saving of around 8k pa. I've heard that another lad who has the BZ4X is going back to a diesel not sure on the exact time frame.

Another lad has i Think one of the KIA models and he said that he will not be going back to ICE.

Myself the E tron fits what i do perfectly the only thing that has me worried about the car is the dreaded coolant leak that kills the motors, As its an expensive fix had the car serviced by Audi and they said the coolant leaking issue is from cars not getting serviced so fingers crossed.

It’s a known and expensive fix on the eTron alright. Is there anyway to get it checked before warranty expires?

• Advertisement

I asked when dropping the car into Audi and the girl at the service desk went off and asked the Audi Tech, He said it happens if the car is not serviced. Funnily enough AUDI USA have giving E tron owners a 10 year warranty on motors. Nothing yet from Audi Europe.

Seen that. I would think it was more to do with consumer confidence in the US instead. I can’t see the Audi EU fat cats adding it here. Unless they take a leaf out of Toyotas books and offer it with a mandatory yearly service.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭joe1303l

Did they explain what is involved in a service to prevent such a leak occurring or was it just a method of fobbing you off ? Is this issue widespread as in e-Tron GT’s and Taycans also ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,262 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

I get that right now, EVs are not for everyone- I keep my cars a long time - 2 car household both ICE- one of the cars was replaced just 2.5 years ago -very happy with it but, if I was spending the same money today to replace one, I’d be going for the VW ID4 too.

Could I trade in that ICE for an ID4 today? Sure but I’d need to extend the loan - I’d prefer to pay it off in next 2 years then replace the other ICE which is ancient with an EV - reduced commuting milage due to WFH is the key reason I don’t own an EV - I know plenty of people WFH and they’re in similar positions- people who in the past upgraded their cars every 3 years or so have just hung on to their ICE- there’s definitely a significant % of population in similar position

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭kyote00

This lad getting out of EV also.

Tesla model S

https://www.donedeal.ie/view/37709542

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,050 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

"Currently not driving limp mode trigered by inverter. Easy fix for ev mechanic or for someone who has a parts" .

Ay yes, that ole chestnut!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭kyote00

indeed. Inverter issues and inverter cooling pump issues seem to be more of an issue that the battery itself as (hybrid) car ages

I presume EVs have some cooling circuit for invertors also ?

I reckon they are aware of the issue with the coolant leak and just fobbed me off, Never mentioned whats involved in preventing the coolant leak,To me it has to be a design flaw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭joe1303l

Some details here on a Teslabjorn video, eTron motor failure due to coolant leaking is at 16:30. Hard to consider that servicing regularly would help prevent this ? Might be worth seeking out a warranty that would cover this if you can get one.

https://youtu.be/cxRaOBJOl78?si=8ppeu9mCS9MkYkD5

• Advertisement
Advertisement