Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer 2024 - General Discussion

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,100 ✭✭✭pauldry

Ya 25c hasn't been breached. Got 23c in Sligo one day. Even 20c unreachable here most days. Last few Summers 30c reached.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭Hippodrome Song Owl

We've definitely had 24C in Dublin in the past week, don't recall 25C being reached.

@sryanbruen I'd love if you could give us the stats on how windy the summer was at Casement once August is done. It really has felt like the windiest summer ever, but it would be great to get the facts! Out of interest - where would I look to see basic wind stats for Casenent? The Monthly Averages page on ME doesn't cover wind from what I can figure, so I never know where to look.

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭Hairypoppins

Up until yesterday there had only been 6mm of rain recorded close to your met eireann weather station for the month of August,casement aerodrome…yet it's rained nearly everyday over your house

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭Artane2002

Today looks like a lovely day for those way out in the Atlantic! Not so good on the east coast of Ireland but I did enjoy seeing the North Dublin coast while approaching Dublin Airport and felt the cloudy weather made it more scenic this time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,539 ✭✭✭pureza

21.2c in Arklow sunshine atm

Reached 22.6c in the early afternoon

Lovely evening

• Registered Users Posts: 17 TheStonecutter

Didn’t get 30c anywhere last summer. Since 2018 only ‘21 and ‘22 have reached 30c.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 12,004 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Lovely evening near Tralee, wet morning gave way to sunshine early afternoon. 15.6C atm / high 17.9C

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭Kutebride

Horrible morning Meath.

Ended up on a lovely late afternoon walk on Portmarnock beach :)

Currently 14⁰ tonight Meath

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,458 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

In London for a few days. Not sure what the temp is but it feels pleasant except when in the Tube where it's baking.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Advertisement

Take the Elizabeth line where possible,it has proper air con

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭glightning

Yeah, correct. It's usually September when the first proper cold fronts come down over Spain. However, they can get them at other times when there is a 'DANA' - which is an upper low. There's currently some cyclonic rotation over the balearics on the sat24 animation suggesting a low pressure system is present at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭glightning

Actually, it's mentioned on news here for example :- https://www.majorcadailybulletin.com/weather/weather/2024/08/15/126603/mallorca-storm-the-dana-unloads-over-the-sea-night-and-returns-land.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,082 ✭✭✭squarecircles

Grey, dull, overcast, cold wind, depressing morning. And no matter how far out you look the charts look the same, the same green ball of misery crossing the Atlantic and perpetually rotating over us.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,645 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

similar here in north Mayo. I'm mildly uncomfortable in shirt-sleeves and would be virtually shivering if I was in a t-shirt

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,803 ✭✭✭Comhrá

I was sure Friday was flagged to be warm with sunny spells according to ME's forecast from two or three days back… overcast and 16c in Limerick at present.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Needmoretea

Same in Dublin, was a lovely morning with blue skies, but a little cooler than yesterday. Now we're back to our slate grey skies

• Registered Users Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭KanyeSouthEast

was at a game last night. Got dark very early you can really see it now and it was cool. This morning is dry and cool. No wind thankfully. Again bar incredibly low but it is August and because of that low bar it’s easily been the best month of “summer”.

Big difference West to East in August . 10 times more rain in Belmullet than Oak Park. I often see August as a Summer month East and South but an Autumn one West and North. Though it has been our warmest month it's also been our wettest. 50mm more possible next week so end up as one of the wettest of the year yet whereas East and South will likely finish below normal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,082 ✭✭✭squarecircles

that basterd wind, every where you go, from every direction, constantly blowing in your face, with slate grey perma stratus misery welded on tight,no gaps, no chinks of light,pig grey, i think ill go to to the off license this evening, and i dont even drink, i mean it literally would drive you out of you f'ing mind at this stage…frooze to death with no sun through all of may june and first half of july, then swamped with big heavy deluges of rain through july and august with constant wind and still crap temperatures. constant innacurate forecasts that make you want to tear your hair out, details constantly changing, unable to plan anything, just the one constant that is…

15 degrees, grey pig gloom

15 degrees ,grey pig gloom

15 degrees, grey pig gloom on and on and on and on and on it goes

Post edited by squarecircles on

• Advertisement

Suns out in Arklow,18c

Very little if any breeze

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,276 ✭✭✭highdef

It's currently 15° with grey skies and a very cool nagging wind. Jesus wept, it's more akin to Late October than mid August. Winter jacket zipped all the way up, a cap on my head yet I'm still sniffing from the chill and tears are running down my face from the wind.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,918 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

It's been a strange and largely disappointing summer. June and July were far too chilly for my liking, too much cloud, not enough sun and way too much wind. First half of August things improved a bit but there were still a few crap days. We seem back to a cooler and cloudy regime once again but will things improve for the remaining 2 weeks of summer? The azores high hasn't had a look in once over the entire summer and the Azores high looks as if it will stay well away from us for what little remains of this summer.

The only good thing I can say about this summer is that it's been a relatively dry summer but it never really settled down at any stage with light rain or drizzle on many days throughout this summer. Compared to summer 2023 this has been a better summer, at least the rain wasn't bouncing up off the ground every single day from 4th week of June all the way to final day of August like last summer. It's also been a very forgettable summer in terms of weather, no real warmth, no thunderstorms, no plumes, no high pressure. Most of Ireland hasn't seen temperatures go above 23C at any stage this summer with only a few places reaching 24C and 25C seems off the table for most of us this summer. I can only hope that summer 2025 is back to a half decent summer, we will be due one by then after 2 crap summers in a row.

Post edited by Gonzo on

Cloudy, breezy, cool around Celbridge. It's grand for working outside, but I wouldn't sit out in the garden in it. Not too dark at least, unlike the first half of yesterday.

The only good thing I can say about this Summer is its nearly over. At least when it's cloudy and showery in Sept Oct Nov its par for the course and you take little notice. Wev had no dry settled spell this year at all for the 1st time ever in my life and I'm 50.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,102 ✭✭✭OldRio

I gave up on this 'Summer' in mid July. It's been a complete bore. Most days the same oul same oul. Thick slate grey and a nagging wind.

I only hope Autumn and Winter deliver cool crisp days. I'm looking forward to wrapping up in layers and going for long walks. Enjoying the colours changing in both the light and countryside. Returning home to stare at a roaring fire.

If only.

We'll get another 6 month bore fest.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,915 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Sun and broken cloud now in Cork but an improvement from this morning at least.

That said, the wind has a distinctive autumnal chill in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

Was out on the golf course at 7am this morning in Dublin and it was a beautiful start to the day however clouded up soon after. Love golfing at this time of the year in Ireland. The trees are all different colours and look beautiful. The only annoying thing is all the leaves on the greens but that's only a slight annoyance. I normally don't like American terms however I think when they call this season the FALL it really sums up what is happening in nature at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭wazzzledazzle

I agree, a pretty much forgettable crap summer of weather. I'd take a wetter summer, if it meant we had a week of prolonged warm/hot temps even once through each summer month.

Too much cloud, cooler than average, felt a distict chill at times because of the wind.

I, probably unlike you Gonzo appreciate milder more boring winters. Can't be dealing with freezing weather. Poor circulation in my youngish hands. So that's the next thing to "look forward" to, what will Winter 24//25 bring……….

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭gilly1910

I know a lot of people will disagree with me, but I actually hate Winter. I know our Winters are generally quite mild, and we don't have to put up with the freezing temperatures and snow that other countries do, but in Ireland it just seems to be seven to eight months of single figure temperatures, cold, damp, windy and dark. God even the thought of it gives me a shiver, even though it's not that far away once the clocks go back at end of October.

Advertisement