Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Couples on 107K can’t afford a home

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭LambshankRedemption

The difference between those countries and here is the additional taxes we pay in Ireland. The duty on beer in Spain and Germany is 3 cents. In Ireland it's 63 cents. I could go on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,679 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

Is it still an aim for the government to increase the population or is that right **** stirring?

🙈🙉🙊

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,717 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

…tis very little to do with tax folks, and more to do with allowing and facilitating widescale speculation in our property markets, and the same government is gonna be in place after the next ge, 'keeping the recovery(of property prices) going'!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 974 ✭✭✭erlichbachman

This is why people don’t read mainstream nonsense anymore, a more accurate title is that they can’t afford a house in Howth

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,077 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

107k on the help to buy scheme is more than enough for most estates. You'd only need 5% deposit. I don't see how thats a problem if you're earning over 100k

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,193 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

They found a couple wishing to buy a new three-bed semi-detached home who have the 10% deposit and availed of the Help to Buy relief could only afford to buy in Meath and only then with the support of the First Home Scheme.

Why does it have to be a 3-bed semi-detached? Could the hypothetical couple not settle for a terraced house or an apartment? We all know the housing crisis in Ireland is particularly acute but no country has found a way to solve it so I don't know what the solution is. Leaving the EU being mooted is hilarious when you consider what it did to the UK.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

…oh we know what needs to be, theres just no political will to do the opposite to whats actually being done!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,193 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

The lack of political will is down to a few things. Firstly, who builds the houses? I can't imagine there are hordes of people desperate to move wheelbarrows around construction sites. Then, there's materials, logistics, costs, and of course the byzantine planning system.

The bigger problem is that if house prices drop, you'll deflate the value of a lot of property investments and push a lot of people into negative equity. The former won't be good for the economy and the latter is the sort of thing that sends politicians into the political wilderness.

I'd love to see Ireland build more houses and create more opportunities for people like me to move back but we have to be realistic. The economic system, for better or worse, is here to stay and no amount of Fianna Fail or Fine Gael majority governments will fix it.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Beta Ray Bill

If they're Irish, it's highly likely they grew up in a 3-bed Semi-D, hence "they want what they know" so to speak.

I've lived in Apartments, Non-Conventional Semi-D layout (Kitchen upstairs) and a 3-Bed Semi-D. If you want to start a family, a 3 bed Semi-D is best… which is probably the two reasons why people want them.

In relation to the EU, it would seem there is no happy medium, I for one would hope we stay in the EU, I can however see this changing in the next 10/15 years if people begin to feel abandoned by the state.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 791 ✭✭✭gandalfio

Ah would you stop. It's got absolutely nothing to do with people migrating into Ireland. It's decades of our governments neglect of the healthcare, housing, and education systems. Particularly in relation to recruitment and retention of GPs, nurses, consultants, teachers etc.

We'd still be experiencing these problems today without the increase in asylum seekers over the past couple of years.

In fact, the situation would be even worse without migrants coming into the country to fill healthcare positions.

• Advertisement

deflating property prices would actually have positive effects on the economy, and of course for society at large, the velocity or turnover of our money supply is decreasing, this is largely due to our rapid rise in private debt, which is largely due to our rapid rise in property prices. this reduction in velocity in turn is causing significant issues for many sectors, including and in particular sme sectors, as less money is available to being spent into these sectors, which is leading to increasing risks in these sectors, its also important to note, most are employed by sme's, so this means overall job security is decreasing, this is why covid interventions such as pup worked very well, it provided the economy, with critically needed money, particularly for these sme sectors, saving many of these businesses…..

…then of course theres the negatives, negative equity, growing instability in related sectors, in particular fire sectors(finance, insurance and real estate), etc etc, potential crashes etc, but noting, if that happens, bailouts would clearly be the solution, and probably austerity to boot, and on we go…..

…dont worry folks, deflating such markets isnt gonna happen, we just have to accept your kids, grand kids, nieces and nephews are just fcuked, which actually means, we re all eventually fcuked, rock and roll…..

It makes sense but one has to live within one's means. I'm a single fella and my chances of owning a house in London are zero unless a family member here decides to include me in her will. I can't stand her husband so that's unlikely. I tend to think more about owning a flat and have been saving accordingly but that's still a stretch for a single person.

I don't really see what this Examiner piece is supposed to show. Policing and nursing can't be done remotely but some jobs can and working from home, if properly supported, could be a real way to boost rural communities. I can't see it happening sadly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,077 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Only in meath, too. Not everyone can live in the centre of the capital. It's not realistic. There arent articles about it but you can't buy in london, paris, berlin etc either. Have you looked up the price of a 3 bed on 5th avenue?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭baldbear

It's an election ploy by the construction industry encouraging the government to pump even more grants for people buying new builds.

I'm not disagreeing with you there. It boils down to an abject failure to plan, and then a failure to act.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,076 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Even that’s not an accurate title. The survey conducted by SCSI only refers to the affordability of a new three-bed property in suburban areas in five counties in Ireland:

The report from the Society of Chartered Surveyors of Ireland (SCSI) examined the affordability of new suburban homes in Cork, Galway, Meath, Kildare and Wicklow. 

It doesn’t say anything about accommodation, and that’s always been an issue, and will continue to be an issue regardless of how many immigrants or people seeking accommodation there are in the country. Same as it always was then, and this statement is meaningless nonsense:

The dream of owning a standard three-bed home in Ireland is moving further out of reach of the average Irish couple, even for those who have saved a deposit and availed of Government support schemes.

We’re all old enough I would think, to remember when this was a thing:

Removing shìtty bedsits from the property market in 2013 was one of the best things an Irish Government has ever done:

https://archive.ph/BJQJc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭randd1

T'is all greed. There's no need for a house that was built for €120k around 20 years ago going for $350-400k these days other than greed.

Government after government have pushed the narrative that a house isn't a home, it's an investment, and people are going with it. And they've allowed vulture funds and business men to essentially snap up much needed housing in order to create a property market. The same thing that was done in America in the 70's and the UK in the 80's and look where it's got them.

Where's the controls on snapping up housing? Most people pay way more in rent than what a mortgage would cost them, and rent is such these days they can't even save up to get the deposit.

Even something like expanding the help-to-buy scheme to existing houses instead of new builds would be of great benefit.

But alas, there's more money to be made off crippling debt and hoarding housing. And people seem to see people in the same boat as themselves as an enemy rather than banding together and demanding something by done by politicians.

We've become a greedy, out-for-myself type of people, and we deserve what we'll get when the inevitable crash comes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Beta Ray Bill

It's interesting that you mention police, nurses and London. My understanding is that there are grants for front line public sector workers like police and nurses to get property close to their place of work if they are in London as the prices there are nuts.

As I've already mentioned the issues we have didn't crop up over night, they in the making a very long time. There a heap of upstream issues that have got us to where we are today. Most of those upstream issues are Infra or Bureaucracy.

For example If you're working in London and living 30km (Slough or Watford) out and need to be in the office for say 9am
    You can get from those places to London in approx 40 mins on a very regular service. London itself has a excellent mass transit system. The equivalent example Ireland is Naas to Dublin and its nearly an hour an 20 mins and the train station is no where near Naas and the service is irregular. This means living in Naas is not desirable option for people who work for multinationals in Dublin, which in turn increases the prices of house in Dublin which then in turn has a knock on affect out to the satellite towns.

It's a mess, it's going to take years to fix.

I only mentioned them because that's the hypothetical presented in the Examiner piece and London because I live there.

I don't know about allowances but police officers here get free tube travel so that's as much as a few hundred saved there. London's transport system is pricey but you do get what you pay for. Someone told me he could get from Watford to Euston in 20 minutes. No idea if it's possible but I wouldn't be surprised if it is.

Funny you mention Naas. I've a pal living there and I toyed about going to visit but it turns out that the train station isn't in Naas but halfway between it and somewhere called Sallins. I do be tempted to apply for the rare job I see in Ireland but I'd be paying London rates to live in what I consider to be a vastly inferior city or near-London rates to live in somewhere like Galway with nothing to do but go to the pub.

Removing shìtty bedsits from the property market in 2013 was one of the best things an Irish Government has ever done:

Ask the people now living in a tent or people commuting 4 hours a day if they agree with that assertion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,917 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

I have lived in Lucan, Leixlip and Maynooth. All decent towns. 2 of them are in Kildare and 1 in Dublin.

On 107k plus minimum deposit you could buy my current house at 4 times income borrowed no problem.

Thats 428k borrowed plus another 48k or so as a deposit giving you the buying power of about 475k.

3.5 times income would give 370 borrowed and deposit bringing purchase price to 410k, tight for a 3 bed semi in these areas but its doable.

Yes, I have seen some new build 3 beds in these areas for over 500k but you dont need to buy a new build.

There arent really many areas in the country more expensive than these except expensive Wicklow towns, some closer to Dublin postcodes and maybe closer to the cities of Cork and Galway. So, most of the country is accessible on that income in reality.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭halkar

Sure no need to pay half a million for an house that was bought for 20k pounds back in 1970s lol what about the house worth millions that were built for peanuts 100 year ago :D By the way pint of beer was under 3 euro 20 years ago now over 7 euro. Greed is everywhere they have a nicer name for it called inflation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,262 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

The secret is to make the booking before you’re sick - once the appointment date nears just fake symptoms of whatever illness you think you’ll get next and get a prescription for that 😀

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,262 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

We certainly need creativity and innovation to work side by side on the countries current issues - need to spread the jobs outside of city areas- need more remote working - need to instill new life into dying towns and villages - there IS property out there, but there are no communities and infrastructure around those properties right now so they’re unattractive - we definitely need to change our way of thinking - I’m sure prospective home buyers are willing but are the government and most importantly the employers?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 909 ✭✭✭Get Real

That has nothing to do with my point. The OP opened the thread referencing earnings, and then how the middle class in this country were being done on income tax.

I then pointed out that this is a common misconception. I acknowledged the property market is in a state and agree with that. But to say it has anything to do with Ireland being somehow really harsh on middle earner income tax is inaccurate.

I dont think paying an extra 60cent on a litre of beer is stopping people buying a house. Plus, the dirty anamoly between Ireland and Germany you mentioned applies to all types of earner.

Also, Germany has VAT and things like we do. Yes, we have some extra duties, and they have some weird charges too that we don't have. I don't think in the grand scheme of things, one wins out over the other.

My point was in relation to after tax income, Ireland isn't some high tax country. On 50k, you're better off by 6,600 over Germany.

If you think that's going to spent on 60cent duties on beer or various other things, I disagree.

I acknowledge, yeah you could argue higher rents in Ireland knock out any tax savings. That would mean high rents are preventing people from saving to buy a house.

But "high" income tax isn't preventing people buying houses. Because we aren't a high income tax country. As I've shown Vs several other EU ones.

We are an expensive country. But we are not being "robbed" on income tax. It's one thing I completely disagree with people saying where I'd agree with them on everything else. The proof is in the numbers. We don't actually pay that much tax on what we earn.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 754 ✭✭✭thatsdaft

In last 30 years

Germanys population grew from 81.4 to 84.4 +3.7%

Irelands population grew from 3.59 to 5.262 million +37.7%

You are comparing oranges with watermelons

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 691 ✭✭✭Kurooi

Well that's a horseshit headline. 107k x4 = 428k mortgage plus 50k deposit you'd be looking without any help to buys at 480k houses which in Dublin opens up A LOT and that's the expensive county.

But media likes to fear monger by focusing on new builds, picking a very specific price point and house type and description, to painting it out that you can't own a home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,083 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

The article is nonsense.

If the couple earn €107k, they can borrow €428k, with the First Home Scheme and a 10% deposit, that would equate to 60% of the new home's value, meaning a new house up to €710k would be within their reach.

However, very few three-bed semi-detached houses are being built in Dublin any more - you could get this 3-bed duplex for €435k.

https://www.daft.ie/new-home-for-sale/duplex-3-bedroom-duplex-parkleigh-seven-mills-parkleigh-seven-mills-dublin-22/5626351

Step outside of the limits of the New Home Scheme for a minute and consider a 20% deposit along with the €428k mortgage. That would give a property value of €512k.

https://www.myhome.ie/residential/dublin/property-for-sale?maxprice=525000&minbeds=3

844 3-bed and more properties for sale under €525k in Dublin today!

The article is complete and utter nonsense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,876 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Not everyone has mammy and daddy to move back in with though, nor do they have access to tens of thousands from mammy and daddy's savings.

2 things which significantly skew the market incidentally.

For those already renting with bills and maybe children to support it's not at all that simple.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,076 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Why? I mean, what would be the point of the exercise? It would only represent a smidgen of the population in either case, which would be unrepresentative of the population which used inhabit substandard accommodation in circumstances where they were being exploited by landlords who made up the vast majority of those opposed to the new legislation (for obvious reasons):

However, groups such as the Irish Property Owners’ Association oppose the new regulations and say many landlords cannot afford to renovate their properties or access loans to upgrade them.

The association adds that the new measures will result in properties being closed down, resulting in significant numbers of people being placed at risk of homelessness. The association is calling on the Government to retain this type of accommodation which it says is “useful, necessary, affordable and centrally located”.

‘Grossly degrading’

In contrast, the housing charity Threshold says bedsits should have no place in the Irish housing landscape. The group says that for too long many tenants – often single men who are experiencing social or economic problems – have been forced to live in “grossly degrading conditions”.

https://archive.ph/UUSwx

Advertisement