Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FM104 phone show in the 1990s

• 15-08-2024 2:14pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,424 ✭✭✭

I listened to this (Chris Barry/Adrian Kennedy) and the 98FM equivalent a lot when I was in school and college in the 1990s. I can't remember that much about it except that it was trashy. It must have been a minor cultural thing in Dublin and surrounding counties with radio reception - I remember having conversations about it with others in school the next day, probably circa 1994. We thought it was great.

A recurring topic was definitely "scumbags". Callers would claim to be scumbags/burglars and threaten to "bleedin pull the head off" anyone who confronted them or "bounce a hammer off his head". Another phrase I remember was was "how DARE you call my son a scumbag!"

Were the callers mainly plants/trolls? Would the topics be unacceptable today and deemed racist, homophobic or misogynistic? There are some recordings online, they seem to be later ones but I haven't looked into it that closely.

No matter how trashy it was, this was a part of Irish broadcasting history and from a very different time, pre internet, pre a lot of things and a time most people had between 2 and about 10 TV channels so far less to keep them entertained.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭KildareP

I don't know whether they were plants or not, but there were quite a few familiar voices who seemed to do the rounds on all the phone shows - maybe that was the 90s equivalent of internet trolls as the phoneshow was really the 90s version of social media with people just shouting abuse at each other.

Jude and Zultan were two that I remember, Jude was definitely still calling into Niall Boylan on 4FM up until a few years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

Definitely remember the late night Adrian Kennedy show on FM104. They seemed to be covering joyriders in Tallaght pretty much every night. That may have been around 2000 though if memory serves.

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭Dayo93

Adrian and Jeremy now have a daily podcast , it's along the same lines as there FM104 phone show. Called opinions matters

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,729 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

It was what you listened to in bed before the days of smartphones.

67-97-FM104

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 663 ✭✭✭SVI40

The were call "Ringers". People who were paid to call in or persons who were perpetual callers. Pal of mine was a night security guard back in those days. He passed the time calling the show to argue black was white. Generally coming out with the most outlandish comments just to stir it up.

Another person I met was studying journalism at the time and she got a few quid to call in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭apache

This brings me back. Used to listen to Chris Barry and Adrian Kennedy. Haven't heard a talk show in about 10 years until recently I listened to Niall Boylan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭Bobson Dugnutt

It was the sort of people who now turn up at immigration protests who used to call that show. Uneducated Jackeens with planter surnames complaining about everything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,099 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

It was basically Dublin's version of the Jerry Springer show at times.

I listened to it religiously when I was in school on a little handheld radio. 10pm till 1am. An absolute education for a child back in those days. 😁

I actually have a mad memory of being very young and thinking any time someone said 'In fairness' they were saying 'In Ferns', thought 'Ferns' was a place in Dublin for years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

The ghost episodes were great. We used to call in on topics like ‘buying drink for youngsters’ and whatever they were talking about.

Was a good laugh.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭Yeah Right

The old dance music pirate radio stations used to have prisoner request shows on the weekends. Nothing live, but you could call and leave a message during the day for later that night

"this one goes out to Whacker and the lads on the landing in C-Wing, up in the Joy……..thanks for listening lads…..here's 'THK France'………whopper tune"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,033 ✭✭✭Peter Flynt

Whatever happened to Chris Barry?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 144 ✭✭Yvonne007

I fondly remember "The Overnighter" or "The Openline" with Greg Merriman that came on after. Was a lovely eclectic comedy type show with obvious plants ringing in. Very of it's day. Doubt it would hold up today. I think that Jim-Jim guy was one of the regular callers and had an absurd high pitched voice and was called Tony.

Showing my age.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,375 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

😁

https://www.linkedin.com/in/chris-barry-6570a712?utm_source=share&utm_campaign=share_via&utm_content=profile&utm_medium=android_app

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,616 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Greg Merriman was class….I remember Barnaby the monkey boy & Mary Schocolates ..” howiye son !”

When it was good it was great, you’d be hurting from laughing but it seemed all a bit improv inconsistent and unplanned, ran out of ideas and steam eventually…

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,077 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Jaysus I forgot about aul Jude. That guy was hilarious. Listened to the phoneshow in various guises and on various stations from the late 90s till recently enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,123 ✭✭✭Glaceon

I remember when it was televised on one of the channels on NTL. City Channel I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 791 ✭✭✭gandalfio

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,924 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

on Adrian Kennedy show, there was a very aggressive guy called Tony. Strong Dublin accent. Anti-everything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,424 ✭✭✭BrianD3

I think I vaguely recall him. Was there also another lad called Frank, a grumpy ould lad.

Strong Dublin accent and anti everything could describe most callers!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Bellbottoms

I cannot bring myself to listening. So can I ask how does a live phone show translate to a podcast?

The whole thing runs on plants and outrage.

I just cannot imagine it as a podcast.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,051 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Regular callers would get jackets and other freebies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Bellbottoms

I am not sure what happened between him and FM104. Lots of stories like he was looking for money and FM104 outed him as gay, or that he decided to come out and FM104 dropped him. No idea if they are true, probably not.

He was on East Coast FM for a while.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,424 ✭✭✭BrianD3

I wonder how well (if at all) the shows have been archived and if they will ever see the light of day given the controversial content.

To somewhat answer my own question about racism, as recently as 2015/16, the station was slapped on the wrist by BAI. Had this happened 20 years earlier, I doubt that there would have been any slap from anyone.

https://www.thejournal.ie/bai-fm104-racism-complaint-2789953-May2016/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,865 ✭✭✭Greyfox

Trashy radio at its best, the AK phone show is probably the best radio show ever

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭foxsake

that was great radio. Id be howling in laughter sometime.

they used to have this one in sandra ramdani (spelling is prob wrong) on a friday evening for the sex show or something. was utter filth for the 1990s esp as a teen. anybody remember that

I remember some girl wrote in - her fella was mad for speed and then quit but the sex was now **** and she wanted him back on the speed . no idea why that particular story stuck in my head

I think Chris Barry took over Fr Michael Clearys show - he used to have all the lads in mountjoy write to him.. was a bit depressing..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,915 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Ooooh Halloween….

Oh. My. God.

You just unlocked an easter egg that I didn't know was in my brain.

For years whenever mentioned Hallowe'en, I always internally said that in my head.

Thank you kind sir/m'am

• Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭crybaby

It definitely wouldn't fly today with all the offensive stuff that got aired, but back then, it was a bit of a guilty pleasure for a lot of us.

It was like some show on "Network 2" that was hosted by Sean Moncrief and sometimes the guy from Apres Match called The End. It showed episodes of The Young Ones and was very surreal.

Great television days. I used to watch Red Dwarf, Roseanne, Who's Line is it Anyway, Absolutely and then The End.

Fridays were great, and no internet or smart phones to demand my attention.

God I'm old.

• Advertisement

Sorry!

The 'member-berry of Greg Merriman's show has taken me completely off topic.

Apologies.

Advertisement