Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Game News 2.0

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,017 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Yeah that's the thing, it wasn't groundbreaking or anything, but it was a surprise Gamepass drop, something pretty fresh and unlike other stuff MS do, and most who played it absolutely loved it. And then MS pretty much said that it was a success by all metrics. The game was as successful as a game like that could possibly be.

So obviously they closed the studio.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,582 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I don’t think it was ‘groundbreaking’ per se (indeed, having something of a PS2 / Dreamcast throwback spirit was part of its appeal), but it was amazingly crafted within its form factor. Just an interesting idea (combining two genres) perfectly executed. It’s up there with Bayonetta for me as one of the great 3D combat games, and a deeply satisfying and polished rhythm game on top - combined, that creates a wonderfully immersive and multi-layered game. A rare modern 10/10 instant classic for me, thanks to the presentational confidence and surprising depth to the combat revealed in its harder difficulties. It deserved all the acclaim it got, and remains one of the games of the decade so far for me.

Doesn’t matter to me whether it was a blockbuster hit or not (though, again, Microsoft said it surpassed expectations, and the awards / acclaim speak for themselves). What it represented for GamePass was much more encouraging - using a subscription model to support smaller, more nice games that may not have had the support otherwise. Microsoft blew all that goodwill in one swoop when they shut the studio.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,484 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

They closed the studio, not because it had made a successful game, but because they didn't want to green-light a sequel and then the studio had nothing in development for them.

It's a subtle difference, the first wording points to MS being idiots, the second to them being fiscally sound and just watching the balance sheets.

The good news is, that there's no reason that HR2 couldn't be a GP game now under the new owners, so it might do pretty good.

I agree though that the game is somewhat over-hyped.

I could only play a level or two, before putting the controller down.

I wanted to love it, cos everyone else seemed to, but I just can't play rhythm games properly, my mind isn't built for it, so it was very hard for me.

I was enjoying the story, but I couldn't play the game.

I understand this is my fault, but I'm sure I'm not the only one in the same position.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,582 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Personally, if Microsoft asked for Hi Fi Rush 2 for Game Pass, I’d hope Tango 2.0 would tell them to get in the f***ing sea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭Cordell

Why? Business is business and bills don't pay themselves.

• Advertisement

1. Because Microsoft closed the studio
    2. Because the whole sorry affair proves that dumping a game on GamePass maybe isn’t a sustainable approach for many games, let alone the most profitable. Give it a proper multi-format release with plenty of marketing - much healthier and more sustainable release plan IMO, without devaluing it by giving it away for ‘free’.

Pay the bills as needed. But better ways to do that than GamePass these days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭Cordell

1. The past is in the past
    2. If the deal makes sense financially everyone wins, including us who get to play the game for cheap.

There is nothing to win from burning bridges with Microsoft.

I’d argue Microsoft already pretty definitively torched that bridge, so **** ‘em.

Don’t think there’d be any benefit in ruling out an Xbox release or anything. Just think there’s a much better chance for the game to thrive with a proper, non-subscription-based multiplatform release, especially now that it has a profile and fans.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,617 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Some good gaming news:

This game was looking like it would stay in Japan. Apparently it's fantastic and a spiritual successor to the excellent Konami Goemon games and made most of the original Goemon team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,874 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Shadows of Doubt launching on PS, XBOX and leaving early access on PC on 26th September.

• Advertisement

Weird one here. Valve have the worst kept secret in gaming at the moment - their hero shooter Deadlock. This unannounced game has had more than 15,000 concurrent players in recent days due to an open, public invite system they have among their early players - again, despite never having officially acknowledged the game’s existence.

A Verge writer got an invite with no formal NDA (just a dismissible pop up requesting secrecy) and wrote about the game. Now the writer and his colleagues are getting attacked online for writing the article. They’ve also been banned from matchmaking by Valve.

Have to say I’m very with the journalists here. It’s a bit silly for there to be a ‘secret game’ of that scale out there on a ‘keep quiet’ honour system, and it’s a reporter’s job to report on what they know. A pop up is not an NDA so I think they’re perfectly within their rights to have published this article, and it’s unfair they’re getting abuse for it. Don’t think Valve need defending here - they can take their marketing plans being disrupted.

Warren didn’t write the article but a lot of the negative feedback seems to be centred around his tweet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,140 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I'm with Valve here. While not illegal or breaking any terms, it's the perfect example of why things get ruined by people who just HAVE to be the first to report. Even if it was only a popup, it's still a crappy thing to do imo. You can bet they won't be invited again. Even if the whole world already knows, they just had to get their bit out before anyone else.

They're like the people who are invited to weddings where the bride and groom ask to not upload photos to social media until they have, but there's always one or two who do anyway...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,091 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

While he's not wrong that there was nothing illegal or contractually binding about what he did, its inordinately shítty behaviour to act the smart arse and ignore the request. Putting it back on Valve that it was essentially their fault that he could get around it by pressing the escape button is pathetic. If you're explaining, you're losing.

I'm with Valve here. It's shítty and disrespectful behaviour to get clicks and he knows he was in the wrong (by even referencing it). Fúck that guy. 15,000 other people were playing it and played by the rules, why should he be any different?

A pop up is not an NDA so I think they’re perfectly within their rights to have published this article, and it’s unfair they’re getting abuse for it.

The fact that it wasn't a formal NDA is not really relevant. It was still ethically and morally wrong.

The thing is though, there has been lots of leaks about this game beforehand. You can Youtube 'Deadlock gameplay' and find clips going back months. I was reading articles about its various systems weeks ago, and there was no backlash or controversy over that.

I think it's an unreasonable expectation that there's a game being played by that many people - 22,000 concurrents as I type! - with a generous public invite system but video game reporters with access to the game are expected to just be quiet about it and pretend it doesn't exist. A reporter’s job is to break stories, not just follow a company’s marketing plan to the letter.

If it was a smaller pool of players, totally get the need for hush-hush and respecting any informal requests to not share details. But when you have nearly as many concurrent players as Helldivers 2, then frankly all bets are off. It's not the reporter's fault that Valve are being extremely weird and secretive about the rollout of the game tens of thousands of people are playing but they haven't even announced yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭MikeRyan87

Forza Horizon 5 or Starfield heavily rumoured to be announced for PS5 next week.

I wouldn't buy Starfield but would happily to play FH5 again. What a great open world racer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭recyclops

Absolute no brainer, with the differences between consoles being so minimal with the exceptions of switch and costs of games being so pricey its silly its not the norm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,058 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

The Plucky Squire launches September 17th

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

The fact that it wasn't a formal NDA is not really relevant. It was still ethically and morally wrong.

Ah, come on… it was a fluff piece about an upcoming game. Have a bit perspective, lads.

I have plenty of perspective. I'm not saying it's the worst thing in the world but it's a fair observation.

If someone invites you to play their game and asks you not to talk about it, and you do, that's inherently a bit of shïtty and arrogant thing to decide that the request doesn't apply to you.

• Advertisement

Broken Sword remaster (I thought there already was one) releasing in September, now you have to deal with the goat in 4K.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,058 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,450 ✭✭✭RedXIV

This was up on kickstarter for a while. I didn't back it in the end but have to say I'll probably buy this, something about this game always appeals to me. Probably because I didn't get as stuck in it as I did with the likes of Monkey Island or Discworld :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,189 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

I like playing adventure games but playing them these days just feels so slow. Click a random place on the screen, character walks slowly over, looks and says there's nothing there or says what is there. Takes so long to get through. So be good if they did up those parts somehow.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,617 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I played through the rerelease recently and broken sword is a lot fairer. It kind of traps you in small areas so you can't really wander off and waste time. The only issue are the bits they added with the French girl with adds nothing to the game. They are also quite jarring because sound is much higher quality so it's juxtaposed to the original sound quality.

Neo Berlin 2087….. I'm a bit confused by this. It looks great….and awful at the same time. Looks like an AI was told to make a Cyberpunk FPS but have Max Payne slow mo dives and David Cage dodgy writing and acting. This is a gameplay demo and I still don't know what the gameplay will actually look like. Why all the **** blur!

Was the female character modelled on Daisy Duck?

Stephen Totilo reports around half (50 or so staff) of the existing Tango Gameworks team is carrying over to the new entity.

https://www.gamefile.news/p/animal-well-interview-billy-basso

While you'd like that to be larger (allowing for those who've found new work or opportunities in the meantime), it still is encouraging that a fair chunk of the team will be working on what comes next - presumably Hi-Fi Rush 2.

The spirit of the janky c-tier 360-era shooter looks to be alive and well with that one.

The graphics have that iffy tech demo / asset store look to them.

• Advertisement

An indie developer explaining why they've given up on porting to the xBox.

https://x.com/haakgame/status/1824734589719302501

Advertisement