Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Summer 2024 Transfer Window

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭McGrath5

It was an amazing piece of business by Palace tbf to get that kind of money for him.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 52,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Todibo is about the only one who was highly sought after.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

And I'd say Fullkrug would do a job at United or Spurs before they signed Solanke, but not a glamourous signing due to his age. They've done solid business.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

There's talk now that Chelsea are stockpiling players because there's a transfer ban coming from the Abramovich era.

Post edited by Pauliedragon on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,557 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Again, when we say do a job, we kind of just mean if they didn’t already have the players they have there. Because there’s not a single one of that top 8 who would be happy to have Fullkrug as their starting number 9 for the season (maybe United if he’d previously played for Ajax but alas)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,080 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Man Utd obviously wanted Tobido and up until a few months ago were happy with AWB. Some of their fans are disappointed to let him go.

Would Newcastle have signed Max Kilman? Possibly as they are clearly trying to sign an English CB but have eyes elsewhere at the moment.

Summerville was linked with a few clubs in the past but I have my doubts about him being a top 8 club player currently. Maybe he can grow into one at the right club. Jarrod Bowen did exactly that and he has been one of the best in the league in his position the last few years.

But Bowen needs an Antibiotic type player to play off of. Fullkrug does this. So while a top 8 club wouldn't necessarily want Fullkrug, he actually brings more out of the players around him. The Aldi-Giroud if you want.

That young Brazilian kid is an unknown.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,159 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

I think most people can accept the starting striker isn't going to play 90 mins in 40+ games a season.

Füllkrug doesn't start for Germany but he is a key part of the German side all the same.

I understand that, I’m not suggesting that he is some dud of a signing either. I was just saying that the ‘West Ham won the transfer window’ narrative is more down to their quantity of signings rather than quality of signings.

If Villa, Tottenham or Newcastle came in with a Todibo, Kilman, Wan Bissaka, Guido Rodriguez, Summerville and Fullkrug (I don’t think I’ve missed anyone) window etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,159 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Brighton really getting to Chelsea levels now. Signed Gruda yesterday and today trigger Rutter's release clause.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 409 ✭✭Caustic

Or Chelsea copied brightons model and we didn't really pay any attention to it before because they were doing it low key and for less money, not sure if this is true but every time Brighton sold a player in the last 5 years they always seemed to have another one just lying about that we'd never heard of who was equally as good. I mean Chelsea did sign pretty much the whole Brighton organization in the last few years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,369 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

In hindsight, yes. In his first season he looked the part. 21 years old and was seemingly rock solid at the back with scope to make better decisions going forward. Nobody was looking for him to be replaced after the first season or anything.

I get the feeling once he got the money he wasn't totally fussed being as good as he could be. He would defend his man but wasn't really looking at the play as a whole and would be caught out from crosses and balls into the box more and more. Him jogging back when the ball was the other side or a player had run past him inside became more and more of an occurrence.

But I see he's been given a 7 year deal now so that will help his motivation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,332 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

i'd saw AWB was as let down by United as a lot of players were.

As you say, when he was signed he showed real promise as a fullback,albeit a more traditional one rather than Trent or James for example.

His game didn't improve much - and maybe that is down to him not being bothered. but how many players have seen their game improve while at United over the last decade? Was he being well coached?

A lot of money Brighton are paying for Rutter. Leeds getting almost completely raided after failing to win the play off final last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭al87987

In fairness a few people would have said bad business at the time too. United don't seem to have learned their lesson, for me defense is the toughest position to 'level up' and taking the risk to purchase really young defenders with not a massive amount of games at the top level and then expecting them to be able to cut it at top level week in week out is highly risky both from a quality and injury POV.

Phil Jones, Luke Shaw, AWB and now the new lad Yoro, only about 50 odd pro games in their legs before making the big money move. Arsenal did it right with Saliba, loan back for a year or two and let them develop with more time at a lower level, but United pay so much money for these guys that they need to come in and be contributors straight away.

Setup to fail if you ask me.

I don't think you can point to Shaw and Jones as being wrong to play immediately as they were capable of it and with Jones he had experienced players there to learn off.

Shaw got a really bad injury (not even a foul for a broken leg) and who knows how he would have developed without it. Jones was one of the better players for United at his young age.

I do see the point you are making though, the age profile at United has been a big problem the last season anyway. Which I think is why they've prioritised mostly mid 20s signings this Summer, bar Yoro who was more opportunistic than anything.

• Advertisement

Opportunistic is taking advantage of a low release clause, or exploiting a contract stand-off etc. Paying double the transfer fee that a rival is willing to pay is not opportunistic.

They got the highest rated young defender in Europe for 50m odd. If he had 2 more years on his deal he'd either be unobtainable or be quoted twice that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,591 ✭✭✭Iseedeadpixels

Real wanted him to see out his contract, just because they only bid 20m doesn't mean that's his value, they thought they could bully Lille and it didn't work.

It was of course opportunistic he was all set for Madrid one way or another, Madrid had a lower bid in or were telling him to wait and they would sign him for free. United took the opportunity to pay a more to get him and managed to convince him to join.

That is not to say it was a good transfer or a value transfer but it certainly was opportunistic.

I see opportunistic used with Untied on transfers this summer and I don't think tit should be read as purely cheap/financial.

I do think Zirkzee was an opportunistic signing because players of his quality/profile generally don't have a release clause that low.

With Yoro I think the opportunity was talent based. He is widely reported to be considered the best CB prospect in football. And, for United, the opportunity in this case was the opportunity to sign him. I don't think we'd have done over our value for him, but if we had waited a year I reckon he goes elsewhere on a free (Madrid). It is reported other clubs didn't go in for him because they assumed he would go to Madrid and didn't try to convince him otherwise. United saw a potential opportunity with Madrid not waiting to spend big on him this summer, and made their offers - and got it done.

It may not work out - history would suggest it won't because we are terrible at coaching and improving players. (over the last decade). But hopefully the new (part) owners and the changes they are putting in place will right that, and Yoro will have every chance to become the player people seem to think he will be. At which point we'll probably sell him to Madrid!

• Advertisement

Kalvin Phillips off to Ipswich this year. Hope it goes better than the West Ham loan....

Clubs activating players release clauses when a club is relegated is opportunistic. It's taking advantage of an anomaly in the market.

Clubs buying a player with one year left on his contract, at a reduced price, is opportunistic. IIRC RVP had one year left on his deal at Arsenal when Man Utd bought him for below market rate as a result. Generally speaking, when a player is in the last year of his deal, the selling clubs will accept a lower fee - 'to get something'.

Opportunistic is finding a player with a release clause that is much lower than his actual value. it may not exactly be a player you need but you can take advantage of the situation. An old example but Minamino had a release clause of €8.5m. Liverpool activated that as they thought his actual value was higher and he could be used as a squad player. He was then sold for nearly double initial transfer fee, closer to his actual realistic valuation (€15m), a couple years later. As Mitch mentioned, Zirkzee is one that could fall under this category as Man Utd think that his actual valuation is much higher than his release clause.

Whatever you think about Yoro being this big generational talent etc, paying double (€62m) the nearest bid is not opportunistic. That is overpaying in a one-club bidding war. Real Madrid were offering around €30m as that is what they felt his value was, because he only had 1 year left on his deal and was very inexperienced. Liverpool were interested in that price (€30m) too, for similar reasons and made a point at using the word opportunistic. Anything higher was not worth it as it was too risky given his inexperience and better value elsewhere or at home. It's notable that both clubs have not been active in the transfer market for a CB since. They were both interested in the low price, not the player or position specifically.

Paying more is not opportunistic, it's just paying more.

I disagree, for the reasons I mentioned above.

Unsure why you have written all that and not engaged with a single one of the posts explaining how it very much was opportunistic...

You can blame boards for not quoting 3 posts at the same time. The reply is directly after each of them and clearly on the same topic and in reply to each.

Why bother engaging when you can make up your own reasoning for what a word actually means

No, you babbled on about release clauses and Van Persie, Zirkzee and Minamoto(???) for 2 paragraphs and then ignored the main points about going in for a player nobody thought they could get and making him their player.

I don't know what Liverpool have to do with anything and yet you've mentioned them on 2 separate occasions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,114 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

For some folk, there is simply no balance, rhyme or reason when they are discussing United or United related matters. It's funny and utterly transparent at this point.🤷‍♂️

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,976 ✭✭✭doc_17

€62m is cheap if he’s going to be top class for 10 years and you can sell him for the same then! But, as other posters have said, most of Utd’s signings stagnate upon arrival. Or have terrible injury problems. If they can improve both, Yoro might be shrewd.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,591 ✭✭✭Iseedeadpixels

Mate of mine (Liverpool fan) everytime we sign a player "has to be the wages, no other club will pay what United do" then quotes a crazy figure about 80k higher than the actual wages.

• Advertisement

Because all 3 of those transfers are actual examples of opportunistic signings taking advantages of gaps in the market at the time or the players contract situation.

Real Madrid & Liverpool were only interested in him because he had 1 year remaining on his deal, so he could be bought for cheaper than his actual value. Be it €30m, or €0. They were going to take advantage of this contract situation. Both clubs are not even in the market for a CB, suggesting that they didn't even want or need a CB, and that he would be 4th or 5th choice at both clubs this season. It was an opportunity to exploit the market and save money down the line.

Man Utd bought Yoro because they paid both the selling club and player more money than anyone else was willing to offer. Man Utd are not exploiting a gap in the market, or taking advantage of a hidden release clause that nobody else knew about. or are ye convinced that paying double than the only other recorded bid is taking an opportunity? What was the big gap that nobody else saw or acted upon?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭NITRO95

Alot of words to basically say "we didn't want him anyway" which is blatantly not true. But carry on convincing yourself that Utd have overpaid and somehow this is a bad deal. You've been so concerned about Chelsea and Utd this summer that you seem to have missed that the much touted best in class Liverpool backroom team can't get a deal done.

Im struggling to see how it can be explained any clearer than it has been already.

Lille valued him at X and were unwilling to budge on their valuation.

Madrid were willing to only pay Y but were confident that he was happy to wait and would join them on a free transfer next summer.

PSG, Liverpool and others did not get involved as it was felt that the player only had eyes for Madrid.

United agreed to meet Lilles valuation and the player was open to the move.

Due to Madrid's unwillingness to meet Lilles valuation, United were given the chance / window / opportunity to meet said valuation, open negotiations with the player and sign him.

The knots people twist themselves into to detract United is mind boggling and heart warming.

I do remember a lot of people in similar threads having their head in the sand alright when Ronaldo, Casemiro & Varane signed. World Class for the here and now etc and that anybody showing any sort of reasoning why those transfers were overpriced or how the massive contracts handed out would be an issue etc were instantly shut down. There was no balance, rhyme or reason for a lot of people, but look how those transfers ended up.

How many years do we have to wait for this to come through? Laurie Whitwell, the Man Utd Athletic reporter stated that assurances around game time and being a key player this season were a big factor in convincing the player to move to Man Utd this year. They've paid the big fee now and said he is being told that he is playing now, so is he being judged on the here and now? Obviously the answer to that is no as he is a young player but when can this be reviewed? 2030 or 2034? Will this be another Pogba or Sancho or AWB situation?

I haven't said Yoro will be a bad player either, it's just not an opportunistic signing. it's an overpriced one, that nobody else was willing to even go close to.

Can this be applied to all walks of life?

Let's say that a house is listed for sale and has an asking price of €400,000. One vendor has an offer in of €300,000, with the seller reluctant to sell at that price but it's the only offer so they might be forced into it.

If another vendor comes in and offers €600,000 can that be seeing as opportunistic? Bearing in mind that the seller would have accepted €400,000 in a month's time anyways.

What in blue blazes do the signings of Varane, Casemiro or Ronaldo have to do with the discussion at hand ie the opportunistic signing of Yoro by United?

<moving goal posts gif>

You quote me after googling the word reading that meaning and still think your evaluation of the situation is correct absolutely baffling.

United exploited/took the opportunity that Madrid thought they could get the player cheap or wait a year and get him for free by paying what lille wanted,.the transfer wasn't planned but the decision makers felt it was too of an opportunity to pass up. That help?

Rio Ferdinand has great things to say about him. Rio is usually spot on with his analysis.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭Lauras Law

I feel like this needs to be explained in a similar way to how in The Office, Oscar explained the surplus to Michael. Imagine you have a lemonade stand. You have decided to sell the lemonade for €2 per glass. Someone comes along and decides to offer you €1 for a glass. Maybe they're trying to lowball you. Maybe that's all they are willing to pay for a glass of lemonade. But that does not mean the value of a glass of lemonade has now dropped to €1. You set the price, and that was at €2. If someone else comes and gives you €2 for a glass, that doesn't mean they're overpaying. It means they paid the price you set, which enabled the transaction to be completed.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭McFly85

We really need the football to start!

All transfers are opportunistic to a degree. Every big club will be aware of every top prospect so getting them signed does require opportunity - whether other clubs have no need for a player like then just yet, or can’t afford it etc.

Does it make any difference? Not really. If they work out it’s considered shrewd, if they don’t questions will be asked as to why they spent so much in the first place, so it’s on ETH really to get him playing.

The words opportunity and value seem to be getting mixed up in this and I'm not entirely sure why

The good news is that this finally seems to be the season where Liverpool and United fans opinions no longer seem to be determined entirely by the football team they support.

Mod edit: Warning applied

Post edited by DM_7 on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

If rio told me the sun was shining, i'd pack a raincoat. Ultimate spoofer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 360 ✭✭Patrick Mahomes

Maybe one day the mods will relent and create a Utd/Pool thread for this nonsense that takes over every neutral thread in this Forum. It would save the rest of us the pain of having to see it.

Regards,

P.

Post edited by DM_7 on

• Advertisement

What exactly is that?

Is it because a Liverpool fan dared to give an opinion on an forum about transfers involving Man Utd? Just because I support Liverpool does that mean I am not allowed to post an opinion on another club overpaying on a player? I have posted about lots of clubs overpaying in this thread throughout the last few months. Do I have to ask for permission before posting about certain clubs in the future?

Or maybe some people will not act so precious when reading an opinion on one transfer and trying to compare it to a tactical attack on their club. But of course for some, there is simply no balance, rhyme or reason when they are discussing Man Utd and you're not allowed to even think about having an alternative viewpoint. Which I thought was the whole purpose of a debate forum. 🤷‍♂️

Post edited by DM_7 on

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭Lauras Law

I see you've learned how to quote multiple posts.

Post edited by DM_7 on

You've justed decided United bid 50% over his valuation, which is a rubbish, staw man position to take.

You've also decided a move can ONLY be opportunistic if it is cheap or under value, which is also rubbish.

The opportunity United speak of with regards to Yoro is a market situation which they took advantage of. Madrid spending 150million on Mbappe and deciding that (1) Yoro would only ever leave Lille for them and (2) he'd sign for them for free or Lille would be forced to sell him CHEAP because their only option was sell him for whatever madrid offered or lose him for free.

It was widely considered Madrid were right about it.

United made an acceptable bid, and convinved Yoro to come.

The opportunity can also be said to be Yoro himself. Ie. They have the opportunity to buy a generational CB prospect (thats the talk) that they would likely not have in 12 months. they had the opportunity to move for him now, and try do it.

Opporunistic, opportunity etc - don't have to only mean 'bargain' as you seem to be pushing.

It’s not really specifically about you as an individual at all. At least from my side anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,742 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Hopefully Yoro is as good a defender as our resident United fan group

Post edited by DM_7 on

• Advertisement
Advertisement