Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why should we tip?

12345679»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,940 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

I went back to Wales last month to visit family, 4 of us went for a meal in a local restaurant, food was poor, service was shocking, asked for the bill and waitress said "a 10% Service charge has been added, that can be removed if you want", like it was an enititlement

Yeah, you do that, remove it please, the absolute look of shock on her face

Normally i've always given 10% but now i've rethunk i'm stopping tipping altogether

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭MayoAreMagic

Agreed. It is a load of nonsense, we dont use the same system that is in use in the USA, so tipping is completely redundant. When you factor in how most businesses are pulling every little trick they can to cut back on what they give you, to expect nothing but generosity coming the other way is a bit much. For example, many restaurants now give you a big starter with a smaller main because the auld bowl of soup etc is cheaper to produce than the steak dinner. So you fill up on the cheap part and get less in the expensive part. Surely that is part of the service also?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,517 ✭✭✭Glencarraig

years ago, I was in an upmarket restaurant in London with a group of guys. One of them, quite a wealthy guy called over a young lad who was waiting tables and said to him "you look after us well tonight and I will give you a great tip"…..the young lad worked his socks off all night and when we were leaving yer man threw a handful of coins on the table and said to the waiter…."The best tip I can give you is to get all your riding done before you turn 40" !!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,457 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

I take your word about all that happening. What part of that is the waiter's fault?

Why reward the waiter for a big main course or not reward them for a smaller main course?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭BraveDonut

Went out for Tacos recently and my daughter said she had been to the restaurant in May - In May the portion was 3 tacos, we got 2 for the same price.
    Not the waiting staff's issue - but they have just lost customers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Packrat

Nope, I really don't. There is no other job where I could earn as much combined as this one within the time frame. I have another business as well which is busier in winter so it suits nicely.

Every job has its annoying bits and tipping isn't about to be abolished any time soon. I do very well out of it.

“The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command”

• Registered Users Posts: 16,673 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

I use this app for tipping Dominos drivers

Anyone know if goes direct to that specific driver? If not I don't really see the point…

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Absolute ledge bag! Best advice ever! Bet you he did all his roiding before he turned 40! Prob has a few rugrats knocking around… LOLSERS!!

I just read this out to the guys up here on the front nine before a quick round and they just fell around the place laughing! Insane stuff altogether… INSANE!! We're actually off to an upmarket restaurant later, might use your guys trick on the poor guy or lucky chick serving us!!! (she'd better watch out, few of is are pretty irresistible to the younger females LOL!!) Tell him thanks for the tip, cheques in the post dude!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,925 ✭✭✭granturismo

Giving money to an app and not knowing where the money goes is just helping perpuate this codology.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,673 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Well I get these emails direct from Dominos after I've had a delivery so I'm sure it's legit

Thanks to TiPJAR, you can show your driver your pizza-ppreciation with a tip that goes 100% directly to them. It's easy, it’s safe and they can access their tips straight away!

That seems to imply the driver is receiving the money individually but I was wondering if anyone knew for sure

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭BaywatchHQ

Many American cam girls I have dealt with have expected tips from me but i just tell them I will write them a good review.

Advertisement