Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE Radio 1: The 9 O Clock Show hosted by Various Megathread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,638 ✭✭✭StevenToast

We said it for years...any clown could slot in to the show directly after Morning Ireland and retain strong numbers....

It was obscene paying Tubridy his outrageous fees and justifying it based on this nonsense argument.....

Back into your box Noel Kelly and your acolytes.....

A nail in the coffin for ever to bringing back Tubridy....

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,423 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

I don't know about any 'clown', I think a lot of people consciously left when Tubridy came on, myself included.
    You are right though, nobody should be able to get paid based on 'they can't be replaced'. Both Tubridy's former slots have managed quite fine without him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,645 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Callan will put his foot in it sometime in the future for sure,he's done so a few times already.

He'll push the boat out too far when it comes to political bias at some stage.

Nothing surer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Bellbottoms

It is obscene the amount the current presenter is making. It should be at least half of what it currently is. Paying a salary like that for a slot like that, inflates all on air wages.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭Bobson Dugnutt

150k isn’t a huge amount of money for hosting a flagship radio show. Probably brings in multiples of that in advertising. I make that myself, and I don’t have to deal with people annoying me in pubs and so forth. It’s a well paid job for sure, but it’s not exactly obscene. Loads of folks making the same and more for much less public jobs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,645 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Goes right back to Uncle Gaybo, Mike Murphy, and the DG at the time Fred O Donovan it is said

Gaybo got the big wedge supposedly to stop him going to the States with Disney.

Allegedly had a word with MM to reveal the wedge and say You are the number two here, you should look for relativity.

He did, and MM got a relatively similar wedge !

So the story goes they say…..it progressed from there even though there isn't a valid reason in hell for the wedges pumped out in the Pink Palace to the so called talent.

History has shown it, but it still goes on with the taxpayer almost completely gelded to stop it.

Getting recognised in public is part of the gig. If they don't want that and still want to make 150k, they should get a job like yours.

I am sure the prep and time you spend in your workplace is a lot more then some stars are doing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Sigma101

"Gaybo got the big wedge supposedly to stop him going to the States with Disney. Allegedly had a word with MM to reveal the wedge and say You are the number two here, you should look for relativity. He did, and MM got a relatively similar wedge !"

He actually got to meet Mickey Mouse?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,550 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

It's a flagship radio show for a very small country on a station that is completely broke.

We're not the UK. 150k is ridiculous as is most of the RTE salaries.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,676 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

Pat Kenny was at one time on a €950,000 salary in RTE, it dropped to over €600,000 and he went to Newstalk (I think) on a €2m deal. He has 230,000 listeners compared to Callan's 336,000

In that scenario, i.e. the private sector paying that kind of money, €150,000 seems to me reasonable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,777 ✭✭✭LambshankRedemption

Yeah, 150k is not a lot of money any more. People who think it is would be flabbergasted at what some other people earn.

There is a view that RTE should just sack everyone and begin again or disappear even.
    A quick turn of the dial to regional stations would show anyone that finding people that can do what Callan etc do and the often forgotten production infrastructure around them, would not be very easy. Even Kenny etc perform to a standard that isn't that common IMO.

Nowt like a bit of bad radio and telly, and there is plenty off it at a standard much much lower than RTE out there, to demonstrate that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭Tow

The current issue is the number of staff/contractors in RTE and most of them are not on big money. All the average salaries add up, and don't forget many of the older staff qualify for an old school Defined Benefit pension. With the middle aged staff on some sort of mixed DB/DC scheme and the more recent staff on private sector type DC scheme.

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

Pat Kenny getting dramatically less than what he was getting at RTE and is working much much more. He used to take 8 weeks off in the summer alone when he was in RTE.

No such nonsense in the private sector.

I'm just not sure I'm understanding people saying RTE salaries are reasonable given that the station is completely broke.

Companies that pay 150k to an employee usually aren't broke.

He's on 400,000 a year apparently, getting a 100,000 less listeners.

They are broke for reasons other than paying Callan €150g's. The facts are they are broke because the line Minister ignored the excesses and far worse waste not to mention corruption for decades. You had the likes of Timmy Dooley ranting in opposition about the waste and excess and doing sweet FA about it when in government until it all blew up.
    Meanwhile Bakhurst is tasked with getting it back to profitability. Does he do that by offering mediocre talent and product or finding a balance?

As I mentioned, 150k is a good but not spectacular salary these days for a lot of people. I think it was smart business by RTE. He has grown his audience and that’s to be commended.

I wonder how much he or his production company get for making the monumentally awful Callan’s Kicks? I know it’s probably cheap enough to make - get a couple of “comedy writers” to produce tired and unfunny auld drivel and get Callan into a studio for an hour to absolutely butcher some impressions, but it remains terrible value at any price.

Broke companies don't pay 150k. Ireland is a tiny country with a tiny media market. The salaries have been ludicrous for the last 25 years.

• Advertisement

Like any programme you are not compelled to listen/watch. Turn the dial.
    I don't like everything offered, but I am not a dictator, if it has a market, fair enough.

That's the problem isn't it... comparing RTE salaries with other high paid jobs. Except a job in RTE isn't that important given how small Ireland is.

One hour a day on the radio isn't a hard job. It's not comparable with a solicitor or an accountant.

When were they made bankrupt? Solvent and operating as far as I can see. And in that context Bakhurst has to find a way to repay the government bailout.
    Your problem should be addressed to government not the likes of Callan or Bakhurst who are doing their jobs.

Callan’s Kicks isn’t even mediocre. Be good to know what Callan makes on top of the 150k for sticking his name to that dreadful horseshít.

You can't have a situation or run a radio station pandering to one taste Bobson. Wise up man.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,159 ✭✭✭RoTelly

Great to see someone new take over from Tubs all the same and to carry on with the high numbers and increase them, safe pair of hands all the same.

I think you are so unfair to criticize Callan's Kicks brings in big audience to RTÉ, and while it may not be to everyone's tastes in certainly give a laugh. And I think it great value at what ever price, do you know there are people out there getting 200k for some jobs in Dublin, so I don't see why Callan would except anything less.

______

Just one more thing .... when did they return that car

Yesterday

Playing with words. We know RTE is running at a loss for the last 10 years. The tax payer is bailing them out.

We'll have to agree to disagree. You don't mind these large salaries for one hour a day in a heated room talking rubbish while others can't believe the scale of the pay for such work in a tiny country like ours.

Oh I know that. I’d rather listen to my auld fella enter my auld one than listen to Callan’s Kicks. Crap writing and shambolic impressions aren’t a good use of my time. It’s popular enough though. So is Nathan Carter, Goodfellas pizza, and Manchester United. Popularity is no indicator of quality.

Callan isn't bailing them out. The government are on our behalf. Your issue is with government therefore.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 radioman279

The problem with 150k salary is that hour long format is a completely outdated throwback to the Raidió Éireann of the 1960s, If RTE were serious about streamlining and slimming down, they'd have extended the Today show by an hour and have it 3 hours from 9 till midday

Advertisement