Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Executive Officer 2024 Competition (Nationwide)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭TheDavester

was the maths close to the sample one on public jobs - take its like graph reading/percentages etc

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Darranj85

was the written based on people management like last year? I went for it last year and so did half the office so we were all discussing it after the first couple of days. The folk who waited benefited from our panic 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 25 louloubb

MIght just go for it tomorrow as I'm prob gonna do crap on maths anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭AngelaG

Can you do them in any order ?

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭BrandonBay86

Banged them all out today. Personally found the numerical easier than the verbal reasoning, had to wing a few of the latter. Situational one wasn’t too bad, but that’s all subjective.

That written one however, dismal. Feels like you’re playing countdown with the clock.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3 Amsterdammaster

I think I messed up. I completed the maths test today. Did the room scan and was on video throughout the test. During the maths I was scribbling down some calculations on a piece of paper (just the way I'm used to) and I used my phone as a calculator. I also clicked on the tab for my email by mistake. I was literally on my email for 5 seconds at max.

I'm currently in the civil service 1.5 years. I was a tco for most of it and I am currently on probation as a co. I am worried that they will consider this cheating. Will pas contact my current job to let them know of this infringement and could I be let go?

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Trevorfromtheshoppingcentre

Highly, highly unlikely they will contact your current department.

Can't say for certain about the test working out. Did you lift your phone up to within view of the camera? Might have gotten away it too.

Most important I would think you're safe enough in your current role though :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,842 ✭✭✭RobbieTheRobber

You will not be let go over what you have described.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 49 Newbie12345The

Was the maths like the practice exam on the public jobs page?

i doubt they'd go back to you about the phone as a calculator or accidently going on your email

I must add that the phone was flat on the desk. I may have raised it at some point during the exam so could possibly have been seen. I feel terrible about it. It was a genuine mistake.

If they do consider what I described as cheating, what could the potential consequences be? I am fearful of them contacting my current department as I am on probation.

The questions for the maths were hard. They were similar to the practice ones.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16 Darranj85

I used my phone as a calculator last year when I did it. No snags. On the booklet i think it mentions types of infractions. You get away with a few minor ones if I remember correctly. Minor one being the kids walking into the room etc. I’d imagine your one would be classed as minor

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 49 Newbie12345The

Thanks - Public Jobs will only get in contact with where you work when they have to obtain a reference…i wouldnt be losing too much sleep

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Janas

What was the written one about? If you don't mind me asking

Thanks for the advice everyone. Are the screens recorded or is it just the room? They might pick up through keystrokes that I accessed my email during the exam, so if the screen is also recorded they will be able to see it as a mistake on my behalf and nothing else. I feel like an ejit because I never access my personal email in work through the pc. I only ever use my phone at work to check my emails. I guess that's why I used it as a calculator too

I don’t think it said they monster screens, I imagine that would need to be explicitly stated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 376 ✭✭pygmaliondreams

I didnt even do the room assessment right last time and i wasn't getting in trouble for it. I think you'll be grand opening screens because they dont even have permissions to see this.

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭SNNUS

They don't have access to see everything on your pc, it's not the CIA so you should be grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Podgesull1

Hi lads I done the exam too . But worried too I had my screen switched a few times in fact and feel they might see the movement or change of screen and I could be eliminated from it .is it possible. Or do they need to have access to everything on it . Has it ever happened before

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Abacus234

I've never heard of anyone being disqualified for something like changing screens. They don't have access to record your screen it's just intermittent recording of you. Even if you did get disqualified from the competition it wouldn't affect your current employment.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 MaryKaye79

they can’t see your screen, you would have to give them permission to do so

they record you not the screen

@Amsterdammaster don’t worry, this competition is completely separate to your current CO position. PAS would never, under any circumstances contact your employer about what you did during an assessment

best of luck everyone

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 PandaDancer

do you have to get a certain score to pass or does just a low score put you at the back of the oom queue?

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Stranger Things

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 376 ✭✭pygmaliondreams

The fact that they don't have any control over whats really going on on your pc other than one tab sort of brings into question whether they could really stop anyone from just feeding questions into an AI tool or the likes.

I suppose they try to stop that by making it impossible to copy and paste so typing a lot would look unusual.

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭SNNUS

Yeah the scan thing is pointless, you could have anything in the room after it.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭summersun23

@amsterdamaster dont give that a second thought. Absolutely no big deal , and nothing will happen as a result, shur it was nothing and no one will pay a bit of notice to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭summersun23

TThink I'll do it sat morning, get it over and done with!!

• Registered Users Posts: 11 PandaDancer

im going to do it tomorrow morning too. Does anyone know where in Dublin EO positions are most likely going?

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭2016claire

Good morning, everyone,

Good luck to everyone taking the test! I have a quick question for those who have already taken it: Does the camera need to be on during the test? Also, which organization or company is providing the test?

Thank you!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25 louloubb

When you complete all tests there is no final complete button is there?

Advertisement