Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time for a zero refugee policy? - *Read OP for mod warnings and threadbans - updated 11/5/24*

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

20 years ago there was no social media, Internet access and use was pretty limited. Barely a mobile. 2 billion less people on the earth. Probably half the air traffic there is today.

Or put simply, a different world to the one we live in today. Anyone using the history books to apply policy in the present is..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 700 ✭✭✭creeper1

A report on what happened the other day at Dundrum, Tipperary.

No need for pepper spraying or charging but still the overwhelming numbers of guards seemed intimidating.

https://youtu.be/oXiNXri1KuI?si=IuvQZ0G0iTFFvxOo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭bloopy

I'm curious as to what the long term plan in general is.

We are setting records in population growth, while services and housing are becoming an almost cut throat exercise for access.

This cannot continue for too long before it breaks.

Surely the government can see that this is going to lead to exceptional damage to social cohesion. They are not that thick.

The current tactic of calling people far right or racists, bigots, etc does not change the fact that people are getting increasingly frustrated and angry with what is happening. Such a type of argument only serves to stroke the ego of the one making it. It does nothing to address what is becoming an potentially very dangerous situation.

And I am not talking about about the recent disturbances in coolock or newtown mountkennedy, they are small fry compared to what is building at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,172 ✭✭✭Stephen_Maturin

https://www.thejournal.ie/masi-pbp-asylum-seekers-right-to-work-6463782-Aug2024/

They’re barely even trying to mask that the majority of these people are actually just economic migrants coming here to work and using asylum as a back door in

Fascinating to see PBP backing this despite it likely being a disastrous outcome for Irish working class people on low paying jobs.

I suppose in their heads backing the “asylum seekers” gives them more virtue points so of course it is the logical course of action

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭bloopy

The old left is gone.

Whatever is claiming to be the left now appears to be some sort of feel good shallow ideology that looks like it was dreamt up by some marketing firm somewhere.

It has been successfully used as cover for western governments to embark on highly business orientated views on society, where profit and economy are all and the people come a distant second - viewed as little more than economic units, dispensible if not required as a better value unit becomes available.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Not sure why you're surprised. The Marxist parties like PBP, Sinn Fein, Labour, SocDems, etc. have never really shied away from this.

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭OscarMIlde

You seemed to have missed Slide 23 from that link.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,458 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

• Registered Users Posts: 7,329 ✭✭✭facehugger99

The windfall tax from the FDI sector has been both a blessing and a curse. I don't think most people realize how dependent we have become on this money and just how fcuked we'd be if/when it stops rolling in.

The problem is it has allowed to Government to absolve themselves from engaging in any kind of long-term strategic planning for any number of issues - including immigration. They are just fcuking money at the problems and kicking the can down the road.

Instead of these billions being used to invest in our infrastructure and our future they are being pissed away making a small cohort of people very rich while doing nothing to solve the underlying issues.

It's galling to see such waste being presided over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 346 ✭✭JP 1800

In response to Headshot

Indeed and full of useless financially illerterate fools. I once had Paul Murphy at my door supporting one of his comrades during the last election. He was espousing the right of housing for everyone. I asked him one simple question, " to support your proposal where will the funding come from". His brilliant and quick analytical mind gave the response "somewhere". I had to take a step back as my wife who was in earshot laughed. He was quick to try and save face by saying he will use property tax to fund it, I then stated why should the money I pay, supposedly set aside for local services (which it isn't I know but supposedly) be used for that purpose. He then rambled on a bit and try to appease me by saying as you are a property tax payer our party voted to reduce the amount you pay. My response was "so your party are going to reduce the available money you need to get your housing for a all" to which he knew he was rumbled, made his excuses and hurried away from my door. These are the calibre of people you get in the far left. Scratch the surface and there is no substance to their policies and their ideas.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,896 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Saw this on a famous Irish satire site, and wondered, "how did they get a copy of a real letter?"

• Registered Users Posts: 971 ✭✭✭Mike Murdock

If the FDI carousel stops, it's back to the 1980's for Ireland.

So mass immigration of our young workforce. Only this time will there be no US safety net as we no longer have a Morrison Visa program. The UK is and will continue to be a basket case for a long time, and most of Europe is in trouble, too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

Yes but we're full and they can blame the illegitimate IPA's for that. And blame the Irish authorities for entertaining them.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,008 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

I didn’t miss it, it’s just not saying much other than in recent years (post-Covid during which movement was restricted), the detection rates of HIV among immigrants is higher than the native population. One of the reasons for that is that HIV rates across all of Europe have risen significantly since 2022, but still we come back to your original point about higher rates of HIV among immigrant populations based upon region.

If the rates of HIV among a population are based upon region, the rate of infection is about 90% of those with HIV are natives of any given region -

https://www.ecdc.europa.eu/sites/default/files/documents/HIV-AIDS_surveillance_in_Europe_2023_%28_2022_data_%29_0.pdf

If I wanted to engage in statistical figure fudging, I could, and I’d be able to write articles focusing on HIV rates among immigrant populations as though the native population didn’t exist, but that wouldn’t be at all helpful because it would leave people with the impression they already hold that the rise in incidents of HIV are due to increasing immigration. Articles like this, containing factual but misleading statements like this:

Only 10 per cent of those diagnosed with HIV in Ireland last year were Irish, the lowest proportion of any country apart from Iceland. Twenty per cent were from eastern and central Europe, 22 per cent from sub-Saharan Africa and 25 per cent from Latin America and the Caribbean.

https://archive.ph/9szMQ

Your original point about the rates of HIV and other diseases among the immigrant population is valid (and that’s acknowledging that you distinguish between immigrants from wealthy nations and developing nations), but when it comes to the provision of healthcare, education and so on, immigrants even from poverty stricken nations (which might indicate the reason for asylum seekers applying for refugee status in Ireland), are not putting any greater pressure on healthcare, education or other public services. They are far more unlikely than the native population to be able to avail of those public services in the first place.

I DO get the point you were making, but it’s just not a legitimate point. It’s no different to the point another poster made earlier about doubling the populations of cities outside of Dublin by 2040 and suggesting that UHL wouldn’t be able to cope if the population of Limerick City doubles to 200,000… ignoring the fact that UHL already serves a population of over 400,000, and most of that population are Irish, not immigrants.

Remember when the loonies tried to pretend the housing crisis and immigration have no correlation? Like I said before this country better pray there's not another recession in the next 10 years.

The post I linked to was showing the rate of HIV diagnosed people who are resident in Ireland. They then broke it down based on where these people originated from. The rate of HIV diagnosed people in Ireland who are of Irish origin is 2.6 per 100,000. The rate of HIV diagnosed people in Ireland who are of non-Irish origin is 66 per 100,000. That is a massive disparity and these people need treatment. If they don't personally seek treatment it is a personal tragedy for them as well as being a public health concern. And if they don't interact with the Health Service for treatment of their HIV, they will eventually end up interacting with the Health service from complications of untreated HIV whether it is opportunistic infections, severe immune dysregulation or cancer. And none of these complications are in any way cheap to treat.

I am not saying this to vilify people coming here whether they are seeking asylum or legal foreign nationals. But to plan and allow for a properly functioning health system these realities need to be acknowledged and it is simply wrong to state that asylum seekers cost the Health service less than native Irish people.

As regards to this point:

'immigrants even from poverty stricken nations (which might indicate the reason for asylum seekers applying for refugee status in Ireland).' Poverty in itself is not a valid region for seeking asylum, particularly with all the supports and services which are provided to asylum seekers relative to regular immigration. I'd love to live in a kumbaya world where we could help everyone but we don't, and we don't have the resources to cope with the influx of people entering Ireland and then seeking asylum. Government figures indicate that the vast majority of them are not genuine asylum seekers. Government efforts should be on identifying and deporting bogus asylum seekers and policies of deterrence to dissuade further bogus asylum seekers. The Dept. of Integration can continue to identify legal refugees abroad (often people who have spent years living in refugee camps) and bring them to Ireland in line with the International obligations we have signed up for, as they have been doing for years.

So what you're saying is our immigrants are putting strain on the health system?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,760 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

Well like a good storm it might clear the air, something from the left field might save us all in the end, better off in the long run…either way it's gonna come to a head sooner or later and maybe it'll be some unexpected event that'll temper the madness and bring some pragmatism to the situation, we can't save the world, like a parasite the ngo complex has got far too large and gained far too much influence in government and media circles, they need to be culled and then maybe we can move on with the welfare of the citizens paramount and leave something better for our grandchildren than is promised by these fantasists if they're let have their way

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,627 ✭✭✭jackboy

The way the government are burning through mountains of money for no benefit to the country, it is not inconceivable that the IMF could end up back here again.

If that happens they will go hard, asylum seekers and citizens would be in for a rough ride.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 61 ✭✭amykl_1987

So a 25% increase in population served by ONE hospital, with no discernible plan for increasing the capacity of a hospital already struggling to cope is not going to have any negative impact? And where are that extra 100,000 people coming from given the birth rate here currently is 1.7 (it needs to be over 2 for the population to grow without immigration of any sort)

A 25% increase in population served by UHL means the hospital needs a 40% increase in beds, staffing etc to get it to some sort of acceptable service.

At a time when Teachers, Nurses etc are being enticed abroad by better pay and far better working conditions.

Are you for real?

No, I'm not exactly. But the claim was made that asylum seekers would provide less stress on the health system than the equivalent native Irish person. I was pointing to a demonstrable health cost were this would not be true. It may be that there are other conditions were Irish people have a higher rate than asylum seekers, such as say diabetes or health disease (I have no figures to back this up). It's irrelevant anyway. The more people in the country the more stress on the health system. Asylum seekers by law are supposed to have certain needs met and the Irish health, housing and education system will not be able to cope with the number currently entering the country for long. The vast majority are demonstrably not genuine asylum seekers, but economic migrants abusing the system meant for people fleeing danger. The government should be focused on people legally resident in Ireland, whether born here, legally immigrated here or were allowed in as genuine refugees.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,546 ✭✭✭Downlinz

In every other country people would put aside their differences with the main opposition party in order to remove an unpopular government. Keir Starmer and Kamala Harris aren't exactly inspiring leaders and wouldn't be high on the priority list for people in either country but they're able to recognise the choice is either them or more of the same.

In Ireland we moan and complain as the country sinks further and further with the 100+ year duopoly yet convince ourselves the untested alternative would definitely be worse somehow.

The graphic you linked to indicates the increase only in recent years though, it doesn’t show the existing cases among the Irish population.

I am not saying this to vilify people coming here seeking asylum or foreign nationals. But to plan and allow for a properly functioning health system these realities need to be acknowledged and it is simply wrong to state that asylum seekers cost the Health service less than native Irish people.

I know you’re not, but these realities are already acknowledged, in the literature already provided, which demonstrates the point that asylum seekers DO cost the health service less than native Irish people, and shows the reasons why they cost the health service less than Irish people - because they have far less interactions with the health service in the first place.

It’s true that poverty isn’t a reason for granting refugee status, but it IS a reason for seeking asylum, by asylum seekers. You’ll refer to them as economic migrants, but that term has no meaning in law. They can be both - economic migrants, AND asylum seekers (and that’s notwithstanding the fact that asylum seekers can still be granted international protection on Humanitarian grounds).

Government figures don’t indicate what you’re suggesting either. All Government figures indicate is the estimated figure for asylum seekers whose application for asylum has been rejected. Government figures don’t make any suggestion that their claims are bogus, or not genuine or anything else. It’s very simple - either they meet the criteria, or they don’t, and their claim is rejected. They can appeal the decision, and sometimes those appeals are successful -

https://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/court-quashes-tribunals-decision-to-refuse-refugee-status-to-man-who-pretended-he-was-gay-1342953.html

And sometimes, they’re not:

https://www.rte.ie/news/courts/2022/0405/1290601-high-court-challenge/

Government figures do not demonstrate anything about whether asylum seekers claims are genuine or bogus.

It’s also true that The State doesn’t have the resources to provide accommodation for an increasing number of people seeking asylum, but that doesn’t mean The State can simply forego the international obligations which it signed up to, which include an obligation to provide for anyone seeking asylum. Unfortunately what has happened historically is that successive Governments instead of investing in the provision of services owned and managed by The State, has chosen instead to pay private providers out of public funds for the use of their resources.

Roderic O’ Gorman, as the Minister for Children, Equality, Disability, Integration and Youth (that’s quite a mouthful 😳), has proposed a means to reverse that trend, so that in the long term The State isn’t going to be caught on the hop by circumstances that nobody could possibly have predicted such as the exponential increase in applications for asylum which are being witnessed all across Europe, not just in Ireland, which is why cooperation among European Union Member States is required, as opposed to the likes of countries like The UK and Denmark who wish to violate international Human Rights Law in order absent themselves from their international obligations which they signed up to when it benefited them, and now wish to abandon when they have to give something back. I don’t wish to see Ireland going down the same route, because whatever economic uncertainties exist now, they are nothing compared to the economic guarantee of this country becoming a shìthole for all but the people who already enjoy the greatest economic advantages in Irish society if we were to follow the UK and Denmark’s lead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,458 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

I would be probably the first person in the queue to moan and complain about this party and lets face they don't exactly make it easy to like them e.g the referendum debacle and stupidity of their immigration policy BUT I've gone to this stage I cannot stand seeing FG/FF in power any longer and seeing our country burn anymore.

Posters might fear SF will make immigration worse, how could they make this **** show anymore worse unless they get a ferry over to France and asked all the illegals to jump in…..

It's a pity my local SF candidate is Martin Browne but through my greeted teeth ill have to put him in my top 3

Something has to change in this country

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭baldbear

A huge population growth and our elderly and youngest will suffer due to lack of healthcare services. I don't understand the governments horn for increasing the population so drastically.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭baldbear

A huge population growth and our elderly and youngest will suffer due to lack of healthcare services. I don't understand the governments horn for increasing the population so drastically.

Are you for real?

I’m very much for real, whereas your point is based upon nothing more than pie in the sky nonsense that you’ve extracted from a pie in the sky plan. It’s a plan, but it was always aspirational, including the potential to increase the population in cities outside Dublin by 100%.

That won’t even be achievable by 2040 regardless of the number of immigrants who settle in Ireland, let alone the idea that they would need to breed like rabbits as well as significantly increasing the amount of immigrants who will be necessary to fill existing gaps in employment in Ireland already, as you point out - teachers, nurses, etc. Even recent changes to immigration policy have only been beneficial to less than 2,000 doctors who have chosen to immigrate to Ireland:

https://www.gov.ie/en/press-release/f5335-up-to-1800-doctors-to-benefit-from-changes-to-immigration-rules/

The issues with healthcare and education aren’t new, they’ve existed for decades. Immigration hasn’t, and won’t have any significant impact either negative or positive on those issues. The whole country doesn’t stop just because you’re not happy with where it’s going.

1,000,000 bigger population won't have a significant impact on basic services?

Cloud cuckoo land.

8 out of 10 school got zero applications to ads for positions and schools are back in 2 week with 550 unfilled positions.

• Advertisement

Advertisement