Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Property Market chat II - *read mod note post #1 before posting*

Comments

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,043 ✭✭✭hometruths

Exactly same size and spec 3 bed semi.

I think we can definitely agree the land cost is not influencing the cost of the loos.

This is getting quite absurd.

I think that finishes to the same size and spec house in Louth should not cost over double that in Dublin.

You disagree. Fair enough, it makes no difference to me.

I also think guttering and sanitary ware on the same size and spec house in Galway should not cost over three times of that in Dublin.

You also disagree with this.

I have made my point. We can agree to disagree.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,562 ✭✭✭Timing belt

are you just ignoring everything I say repeatedly….for about the 10 time the price variance will mainly come down to labour and land…. You have fixated on some erroneous data that you’ve picked up on…great but it’s small change and not the main reason for price differential. Which was your original question.

Now my initial questions were about the variances listed regionally for specific aspects of the build cost of an average 3 bed semi, nothing to do with land costs or the variance in entire cost of build

To remind you:

• Why are site works and site development costs more expensive in Cork than in Dublin?
    • Why are fittings - kitchens, wardrobes etc - almost 100% more expensive in Leitrim than in Dublin?
    • Why are the siteworks in Leitrim almost 50% higher than in Dublin?
    • Why are finishes - painting etc - over €50k in Louth vs €26k in Dublin?
    • Why do loos and gutters cost over three times as much in Galway as in Dublin?

Absolutely nothing to do with land costs. In OP on the subject I expressly said of course you'd expect higher land and labour costs in some regions eg Dublin.

Kind of ironic you're accusing me of ignoring everything you say.

Your question specifically to me

Can @Timing belt , @Bass Reeves , @Dav010 or anybody else who is convinced that there is no room for construction costs to fall without builders downing tools explain the regional discrepancies in the SCSI figures?

majority of construction cost is labour and land… and as we know labour costs feed into all costs and the higher the hard costs mainly labour and land the higher the soft costs as they are normally a variable based on hard costs…. But rather than look at this let’s talk about loos and guttering 2 things that are not mentioned anywhere in the report specifically.

• Advertisement

And the very next paragraph of the same post that you didn't quote:

Sure obviously land costs in Greater Dublin will be higher than everywhere else, and labour would be expected to be a little higher too. But materials, and fixtures and fittings ought to be broadly similiar.

And the rest of post listed the breakdown of the costs on fittings, finishes etc regionally and I asked could you explain the variances.

Are you being deliberately disingenuous? It certainly appears so.

not being disingenuous just not going down some rabbit hole (which is where most of your posts end up) and sticking to the topic that was being discussed regarding a 30% drop in construction costs and the fact that it’s not realistically achievable without trades people taking a pay cut or something happens to lower land costs.

Fair enough, if you don't want to engage with the questions, just say so, or ignore me, but don't try and pretend you're discussing it in good faith by avoiding what I asked and making out I asked a different question.

As Villa05 says its like trying to talk to have a discussion with trainee TDs.

You and Bass Reeves are clearly smart enough to see the problems with these figures.

What I find both fascinating and unfathomable is why you're so reluctant to admit it.

Might be an idea for your New Year’s resolution….rather than trade insults which it looks like you may have already started but I will put that down to your inability to control it and move on.

The only possible reason you could think I have insulted you is that you misread the post you quoted.

Read it again, if you still feel I have insulted you, then not much I can do about that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,815 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

I like to know the methodology and how the pricing took place. I say the Dulin pricing could be accurate. Pricing woukd have been carried out by larger CQS firms in Dublin. Probably similar in Louth.

In the rest of the country you have a mixture of QS firms and individual QS's. In the NW it was probably all sole trader CQS as there would be few enough firms in place up there. None woukd be pricing the small building sites even if there were any 3 bed semiD build up there.

To price such an estate is probably a weeks plus work if you did not have the data at hand like QS firms Dublin would have from pricing such jobs In the NW and non city area will a CQS spend a week pricing such a job for a survey. As Bailey said to Gogarty "will he f@@k"

In the rest of the country QS firms in cities would have the data, QS's operating by themselves would not.

There is no way that everyone of the reports were prices like for like.

Post edited by Bass Reeves on

Slava Ukrainii

Yes there is a problem the problem is no QS firms or Individual is going to spend a 30-40 hours pricing such a hypothetical housing estate unless they are paid 5k+++ for the work. To get a sample size of 50+ price comparisons for the whole country would cost a quarter of a million++. This was not like for like pricing. It was data pulled together from from existing jobs they had priced.

Post edited by Bass Reeves on

Slava Ukrainii

Well at least we can agree there is a problem.

And thankfully we've moved on from the it's probably very high standards of finish in Louth to entice the Dublin buyers idea.

I think we agree on the nub of the issue - the variances don't make sense.

We can agree to disagree on why they don't make sense. I've made my point.

And I still stand by that in the case of Louth that the finish could be higher to entice buyers out there.

Similar is supposed to be happening in a couple developments that are in a village outside Limerick. Houses are slightly larger with a higher standard of finish.

It would also prove my point to that QS just pulled from existing data they had

Slava Ukrainii

Fair enough, personally I think it's an absurd explanation given the context of the report - to illustrate the viability of building private housing by calculating the affordability gap between buyers ability to pay and the build cost.

If there is a viability issue in Louth because of an affordability gap then that problem is better solved by the average house in Louth making do with same level of finish as the average house in Dublin, than asking the taxpayer to pay for the higher level of finishes in Louth.

In the context of affordability issues it is also possible lower prices might be a more effective enticement than higher finishes.

But again this is simply a matter of opinion, we can agree to disagree on this too.

Look to be honest, hometruths there used to be a poster here called Property Queries a few years ago predicting a house price collapse to happen every six months a few years ago. It never happened.

In general the majority of young people buying a home will always spend as much as they can afford on a house. Developers building in Louth just like the builder outside Limerick are just giving buyers a different option. I did not know you were posting about an affordability gap for houses in Louth.

Developers/builders like any other business will try to maximise profit as much as possible. However they also have to compete against other developers on other sites. They also compete against the second hand housing market and against the option of doer uppers.

This Generation are generally not into hardship. They are not willing to move into a house with no washing machine or dishwasher not to mind a house that has bare concrete floors, no curtains and is not painted. The developers in Louth will are looking to maximise there profit by attracting buyers from Dublin who are willing to live in Louth and commute in and out of Dublin.

So the house may have a slightly bigger garden, it may have a slightly larger footprint, the appliances could be of a better make maybe Miele or Bosch than Indesit or Candy.

So the SCSI bang out an email to members looking for price comparisons for 85sqM three bed semi's. They will hardly specify every detail down to electrical fittinf, loos and appliances. The CQA in Dublin will dip into his file and there will be costings for 8O sqM houses in a development of 1K+ houses and he will bang them off, he may or .ay not doctorthem slightly. The QA in Louth will pull out costings for 99sqM houses in a 200 house estate and send them off.

The QA in Cork city prices for a 500 house development 85sqm in size etc. Th SCSI will probably have to send repeat emails to the QA's that work by themselves maybe even ring the lad in Leitrim who tells them he has no data for such a house and they encourage him to get some sort of figures. Or maybe he had figures for a development of 4 or 6 houses build on a brownfield site in a town in Leitrim for the local Authority

As the saying goes there are

"there are three types of lies, lies, damm lies and then there are statistics"

Ya maybe they cooked up the figures around the country. But your argument that these was costing for exactly the same hypothetical houses was never a reality. As I posted to price such a house takes time, the timing of the figures could even be 6-12 months apart as QA's pull prices from different projects.

That Is not to say the figures are a reality of what is happening on the ground

Slava Ukrainii

I'm familiar with PropQueries and his posting history. I didn't predict a house price collapse.

I raised the questions about these figures because they are repeatedly cited unquestioned by our government as evidence to justify using ever increasing amounts taxpayers funds on the demand to bridge the apparent affordability gap because build costs are so high.

This should be a cause of concern to everybody.

I also raised them because there are a number of posters on here who repeatedly state with absolute certainty that there is no room for prices to fall because if they did developers would simply down tools and refuse to build at a loss.

Now, obviously developers are not going to build at a loss. But I am wondering what are you basing your conviction on that developers margins are currently so tight there is no room for price drops?

If it is not these figures, that as you say yourself don't reflect the reality of what is happening on the ground, what is the basis for the theory on the tight developers margins?

Because if it is just your gut feeling and reading of the anecdotal evidence, it is no more or less credible than my gut feeling and reading of the SCSI figures that there is a fair bit of room for prices to fall and developers to remain profitable.

you have such a black and white thinking when it comes to data or statistics it’s crazy and this isn’t the first or only case and it’s not just me calling this out as multiple posters have tried to do so over the years.

you don’t need a report or some statistic to realise that if house prices drop by 30% that new builds will slow down or stop.

• Administrators Posts: 53,955 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Unless the data is normalised to account for the huge difference in volumes then you are wasting your time trying to make comparisons like this. The numbers you are comparing are averages, but the scale of development in Dublin vs Leitrim is very significant.

Economies of scale will impact the per-unit cost, some developments in Dublin will have hundreds or thousands of units, developers will pay significantly less if they're buying 500 or 1000 kitchens vs a developer buying 50 kitchens for a development in Leitrim.

Similarly, because land costs in Dublin are much higher developers will need to save costs in other areas.

The numbers are not that surprising, though I guess anyone can try make whatever narrative they want out of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,457 ✭✭✭fliball123

I am still at odds why modular homes have not been built in large scale. They could be used for those gaining a house on the social and the influx of refugees coming into the country. All people who are currently housed via our social welfare system should be moved to these and those houses freed up to go onto the property market for sale. This would be the cheapest and quickest solution to our current issue. I do agree with those that say there is an agenda from our political system and media to keep the current system in place. Why the media have not reported on this is bizarre as well. This would also quell the moral hazard of those working their asses off to buy a house and seeing others getting the same while sitting on their asses doing nothing. A modular home has a 60 year life span so the sprogs of those getting the house for free will not get it passed on as this is what is currently happening in the country. Our welfare system is now being passed down from parent to child over the last 20 years and it is now seen as a viable way forward to garner a house from the system and give very little back.

• Advertisement

You seem obsessed with this 30% drop. I didnt mention anything about 30%.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,457 ✭✭✭fliball123

30%+ drop if modular homes where built and built specifically for 2 cohorts - social housing and refugees and free up properties currently being used for sale for the private market but there needs to be a culling of vultures and a severe upping of stamp duty for those buying to let to deter more properties coming off the market for sale.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,662 ✭✭✭Villa05

Its like dealing with an automated customer service that does not understand the question.

Similar issue a few months back where an international study found no great difference in international build costs except for a huge difference in windows, doors, and footpaths in Ireland.

Direct labour costs in Ireland were around the average.

Does not appear to be any attempt to investigate this discrepancy to see if any savings could be made. We just continue to throw taxpayers money at it and accept whatever figures the sector throws at us, no due diligence. High paying taxpayers here then making excuses for it. Baffling behaviour

Not that surprising?

So if the average 3 bed semi in Leitrim has kitchens costing almost twice that of kitchens in the average 3 bed semi in Dublin due to economies of scale in Dublin, is it surprising that kitchens in Louth cost almost half of what they do in Dublin?

Where are the economies of scale to drive such a bargain coming from in Louth? Remember these are the same average 3 bed semis in Louth that finishes cost twice as much in Dublin?

It's not related to your post, but as an aside it is definitely curious that the average 3 bed semi in Louth apparently needs the highest standard of finish in the country by some distance to entice buyers out of Dublin, yet those same buyers are apparently satisfied with the cheapest kitchens in the county.

And if these figures reflect economies of scale, as you'd expect, is not surprising that the big developers in Dublin who are capable of driving such a hard bargain on kitchens, bettered only by Louth, are not capable of securing a better deal on sales and marketing fees?

If Dublin developers are building 1000s of cookie cutter houses with same ads, photos, brochures, floorplans etc how come they are paying almost 6k per house to estate agents, same as every other region in the country? Is that surprising?

Developers of all sizes in all regions appear to be paying more in fees than private sellers. One shudders to think what the estate agents fees would be if economies of scale were not take into account.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭herbalplants

The same old same posters gaslighting facts. Taxpayers money used to prop up the housing prices.

People are not buying because they can afford it for next 25 to 30 years, they buy due to desperation.

Living the life

• Administrators Posts: 53,955 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

As I said, without data normalisation the comparisons you are trying to make don't make sense. Without additional context it is impossible to draw meaningful conclusions.

You are comparing chalk and cheese and then exclaiming that since chalk is not cheese there is obviously some underhanded nefarious scheming going on that absolutely nobody except the boards property thread is smart enough to see, which in your defence, is pretty much par for the course on this thread for the last decade.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭PommieBast

I suspect its is down to where these units will be placed. And how much of certain TDs voter base is people who are in the system.

did I say you mentioned 30% no it was used in relation to what was originally being discussed. I.E. property to fall by 30% and no impact on jobs.

But it was only discussed by you and few others usual suspects that are obsessed with that figure.

Blut2 didn't say he thought developers could easily absorb a 30% fall either.

He said 10 or maybe 20%. But as usual, what was actually posted was ignored and you ran with something else.

• Advertisement

As posted above, I don't think there is anything nefarious going on here.

Lobbyists are going to lobby and promote their interests. It's totally expected and certainly not unique to the property sector.

It's as unsurprising to me as the regional difference in kitchen pricing is apparently to you.

Advertisement