Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Servicing in Northern Ireland with a southern reg?

• 15-08-2024 8:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 38

Just bought a 2013 Honda civic privately. The car is fine but due a service soon. I intend to give it a major / full service from a proper Honda dealer. There's a few Honda main dealers in the likes of Clonskeagh, Naas, and Kildare but since I live close to the border, is it worth taking the car to a Northern Irish Honda main dealer for servicing instead?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,249 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Its an 11 year old car, most people don't get cars that old dealer serviced at all.

However, even if you were going for an independent, the ones in NI could easily still be cheaper.

Its not going to impact the resale value; if a car that old has a digital service book they should still be able to record to it also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭IrishGrimReaper

FYI it's about €230 for a standard service at the Ford Autoparc in Cavan. They are a Honda service agent.

I get my 2012 Civic serviced there.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 mac167

Thanks for the suggestion but the thing is I go up there more than down these days

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,494 ✭✭✭goochy

Yes but why a main dealer,?

• Registered Users Posts: 38 mac167

Previous owner does quite a lot of mileage with very little service history, so I want to give it a major service as soon as I can. My idea is after this major service I can do the oil change myself the following years.

Does car servicing a lot cheaper in the North generally?

• Advertisement

I just know there is no logic to bringing a 11 year old car to a main dealer especially as car has no service history and any garage can service it

Everything is cheaper there but if u need follow up repairs you will have to go up for them too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,835 ✭✭✭User1998

Independent mechanic will do a better job

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭xabi

I wouldn’t be going to a main dealer anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,468 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

You can’t undo missed services by paying extra 😄

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭Jim Simmental

in general nowadays there probably isn’t a whole lot between the independent garage and the main dealer for a basic service?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,249 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Only if there's a price deal at a dealers really. Also, the quality at a dealer can be extremely questionable (and some independents, of course).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭9935452

The main dealer can give you a courtesy car. Normally an independent wont..

No they won't for a new customer who is only getting car serviced . What planet u on ??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭PukkaStukka

If you go main dealer on a car that old, chances are they will give you a list of issues they find as long as your arm. And all that will do is frighten the life out you! That, and both Honda spares and labour rates are not cheap. A good independent mechanic will do just as good a job and leave you with some change in your pocket.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,074 ✭✭✭Lewis_Benson

A major service?

They will change the oil and oil filter, you'd be lucky if they change the air filter, and they won't even look for the cabin filter.

They will tell uou the have done a multipoint check and bill you accordingly.

For. 2013 car, just bring it to your local mechanic, it will be less costly.

Mate of mine used to be like this too, had a 20 year old seat ibiza, used to go to the main dealer for everything and get fleeced for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 378 ✭✭Ted222

It’s not just the extra cost that makes a main dealer a bad idea. It’s the additional layers of bureaucracy that add to the mix.

You don’t get to speak with the mechanic working on your car. You’re dealing with customer service reps and receptionists and hanging around in a reception area drinking “free” nespresso coffee like an expectant father.

I don’t necessarily believe that a dealer service history adds much in terms of resale value even for relatively new cars. For an 11 year old car, there’s absolutely no benefit. You’ll be paying a lot more money than you have to.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Slightly Kwackers

Spot on.

I had my car main dealer serviced from new.

After the last visit, never again!

I can get information on what they do not know about the car from anyone.

The trouble is that as the problems with my car build up any question to the company supplying the vehicles Seat/ VW, results in a response to go back to the main dealer.

When the poor eejit taking your keys looks at you as if you are speaking in a foreign language when you relate the number of times the brakes come hard on for no reason, the auto stop start leaves you stationary at lights when you try to move and the windows are having a mind of their own when trying to open/ close them, you get to wonder if they even know what hole to fill with oil.

From past experience the independent I used with my previous car made the right noises and was a lot closer. I don't have to pay for the advertising and website blather saying what experts they are with my car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,074 ✭✭✭Lewis_Benson

Advertisement