Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Commute Lucan to Tallaght

• 16-08-2024 12:24am
    Registered Users, Users Awaiting Email Confirmation, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6

hi! I’m a primary school teacher. Just wondering how long the commute from Lucan to tallaght would take in the mornings and at around 3pm when schools start back? What is the best route to take - m50 or another route? Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,800 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

Take the R136

• Registered Users, Users Awaiting Email Confirmation, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6 niamhburke

thanks for the reply! Do you know how long the journey would take on school mornings taking this route?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,493 ✭✭✭Iseedeadpixels

Without giving too much info away where is the school located? The M50 might be a better option depending on the location.

• Registered Users, Users Awaiting Email Confirmation, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6 niamhburke

thanks for the reply! School is in Oldbawn. House in Lucan is Hillcrest.

Personally I would take the m50, come off at the Tallaght exit, up the Bypass and take a left at Tallaght stadium and the first exit at the roundabout, the 2 schools I can think of are in that area.

• Advertisement

thank you! Do you know how long the journey would take? Even a rough estimate?

If you're in for 8 I'd leave at 7.20 to give yourself time, I drive from Coolock to Tallaght for work and leave at 7.10 and I'm there usually in 25-35 minutes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭standardg60

No need to go up the bypass, take the first left after the Glenview roundabout up seskin view road, straight through the lights at the top into Old Bawn.

Jesus you're right and I lived there for 40 years!

Thanks a million! So I’m looking at a journey of around 30 minutes roughly? Would that be fair to say? And the best route is m50, tallaght exit, glenview, seskin view etc.?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,692 ✭✭✭extra-ordinary_

Really depends what time you'll be going at, but I wouldn't be taking the M50 at that time of the morning from Lucan as it's choc-a-bloc getting to it on the N4 from before 8am. Instead, go up the outer ring road from Woodies in Lucan to the N81, then either across Whitestown Way, or else turn right from the N81 at the stadium to get to Oldbawn.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Ezeoul

I'd go via the R136, up onto the Tallaght bypass, swing left around Killinarden and into Oldbawn that way.

I'd avoid the M50 carpark like the plague in the morning, and doubly so on the commute home. Traffic starts to build up on the M50 between 3pm and 4pm…

Its also 5km less of a journey each way, avoiding the M50.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,587 ✭✭✭This is it

My other half did similar journey, Lucan village to Avonmore Av. She'd leave about 7.15am to get there for 7.50/8am. Any later and it could add 20/30 minutes. Home she was leaving about 3pm and it was usually 30/40 minutes.

Friday coming home was always an outlier, generally taking an hour or more.

Edit: she preferred the M50, but if there's a crash you're fecked. Although these days if there's a crash on the M50, all roads around are gridlocked anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,917 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

You've just reminded me my commute is going to get longer!

When you get in the car in the morning put your destination into Google maps and see what way it brings you. Or Waze.

I do a not too different commute to you, I've a few different options and I use google maps to find the best one.

But yeah you're looking at a 30 to 40 minute commute no matter which way you go.

I can see getting out the back of Hillcrest and heading towards n7 easier than the exit beside SuperValu and heading towards n4 and m50 though, this alone might be the deciding factor

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.

Advertisement