Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Executive Officer 2024 Competition (Nationwide)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20 PandaDancer

do you have to get a certain score to pass or does just a low score put you at the back of the oom queue?

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭Stranger Things

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 390 ✭✭pygmaliondreams

The fact that they don't have any control over whats really going on on your pc other than one tab sort of brings into question whether they could really stop anyone from just feeding questions into an AI tool or the likes.

I suppose they try to stop that by making it impossible to copy and paste so typing a lot would look unusual.

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭SNNUS

Yeah the scan thing is pointless, you could have anything in the room after it.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭summersun23

@amsterdamaster dont give that a second thought. Absolutely no big deal , and nothing will happen as a result, shur it was nothing and no one will pay a bit of notice to it.

TThink I'll do it sat morning, get it over and done with!!

im going to do it tomorrow morning too. Does anyone know where in Dublin EO positions are most likely going?

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭2016claire

Good morning, everyone,

Good luck to everyone taking the test! I have a quick question for those who have already taken it: Does the camera need to be on during the test? Also, which organization or company is providing the test?

Thank you!

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Trevorfromtheshoppingcentre

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30 louloubb

When you complete all tests there is no final complete button is there?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 804 ✭✭✭jkmanc1974

no - finished the tests this morning so it will be a waiting game - best of luck to all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,944 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Sigh, can't even get the room scan to start, just stuck on a green bar with checking on it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 722 ✭✭✭weadick

Just did mine there. Apart from the numerical it seemed a good bit harder than previous EO/HEO tests I'd done, but it's a long time since I last did them. Not holding out too much hope anyway!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,596 ✭✭✭raheny red

I did the verbal and situational this morning. I usually despise the verbal testing but found it grand. Almost certain the situational testing was the exact same as last year's EO Dublin Comp.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 coop142

did anyone email the support and if so how long did it take for a response? Thanks

EDIT I got a response within about 30 mins in case anyone else is in the same boat!

Post edited by coop142 on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,814 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

I found the maths very tough, the verbal was okay, still have the other ones left.

Just did the maths one and have no idea how it went.. Thought some of the questions were so easy that they were a trick question nearly and others that had a lot of writing and specifics just skipped so as not to waste time.

Found the one in relation to rental of machinery very time consuming so guessed a lot of those answers after taking time to answer the first few in relation to that scenario.

Hard to get a feel for how it went.

Random fact . I once did a test for a different job and when i started my maths one the calculator decided to die a death ...times tables in your head anyone lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1 AD86

Hi everyone, I just did all 4 tests there - found the first 3 ok but the written was a nightmare. I didn't even manage to get to the minimum 300 words, only got to 275 - anyone know if this is an automatic fail? 😥

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 843 ✭✭✭- bo -

Did the four of them on the trot there.

Verbal Reasoning first. Thought it was fairly grand. Got them done with a couple of minutes to spare.

Situational Judgement next. Really didn't like it. Lost the run of myself a little bit. Finished way ahead of time.

Numerical Reasoning next. Pretty happy overall. Got it all done in time, couple of guesses, couple more unsure of.

Written Exercise last. I really went in to that one unprepared. Waffled. Got around 320-330 words typed and proofed it with a minute to spare.

Overall… bleh 🙃 brain is a bit fried. Wouldn't mind heading for a pint.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 Summeryet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12 zazoo11

Does it make sense to guess at random if we run out of time? I did okay in the numerical practice test but didn't manage to answer more than 20 or so in the allotted time. Is it better to have a high accuracy rate or to save a few mins at the end to guess at random if we have any questions left?

Practice tests are here Summeryet (scroll to the bottom of the page): https://www.publicjobs.ie/en/information-hub/our-recruitment-process/test-advice

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81 ✭✭Dublin.85

https://www.publicjobs.ie/en/information-hub/our-recruitment-process/test-advice

• Registered Users Posts: 8 JSPD

Did the numerical and the written exercise today. Happy enough with the numerical test but really struggled with the written exercise, mind just went blank and couldn't think what to write. Didn't get to 300 words so not sure if that means I've failed. So now not sure if theres any point doing the other 2 tests seeing as i didn't get the 300 word minimum

Best that you finish all questions even if you have to guess, no negative marking

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Totally Red

Don't rule your self out continue with the other two anyways. Was there one or two different scenarios or did you have your answer complete but had words to spare ?

From what I've heard the written exercise doesn't go towards your final mark of the test. It's brought up in discussion during the interview if you pass the tests and get that far. So go for it, don't give up. If anything it's all good practice, if you don't get it this year, you might get it next year.

I found the written ok was the numerical I hated plus very confusing at the end there is no final submission button when all 4 are completed?

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Larryduff2018

Is the situational judgement e.g good response bad response adequate response etc format because there the sample they gave but was given these sample before and the lay out was different on day of exam which threw me abit?

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Beckett99

Not expecting to do well out of that at all. Haven't sat tests for EO before. Had to break it up in to two separate sessions.

• Advertisement

Hadn't sat them myself either before I was so confused at the end as there is no final sumbit button I'm guessing when it says complete it just needs to be left

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,553 ✭✭✭jaffa20

Do they verify ID at weekends? Took ages to try get a photo without glare!

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭WednesdayGirl

They do verify ID at the weekend and in the evening

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭WednesdayGirl

I Would say don't stress too much about the maths as you just need to pass, the marks aren't counted towards your overall mark. Any advice on the Situational one? I don't know if we need to show independence as an EO or should be consulting with HEO / AP? I find that the toughest

@larryduff2018 (won’t let me reply directly to your question for some reason but)
    Yeah it’s in the format as shown in the familiarisation material - excellent, good, adequate, weak, bad and you choose which suits each answer. Lots of time to spare with this one so wouldn’t rush through it just take the time to think.

Also good to note that it says on the testing website that it’s possible there is no excellent answer provided and there may be instances where you find that all answers are adequate or weak etc..

AAnyone's verification taking ages , I submitted mine prob an hour ago ( id)

the math I ran out of time and guessed loads 😭 the essay I thought was great. The others were grand. Ugh probably didn't pass.

I was the same with the Maths. Surely it's not possible to get through them all in that time.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 laff87

The Situational ones.... anyone else find excellent was rarely used??! Overthinking my answers now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27 Podgesull1

How many questions in the written exam

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12 zazoo11

You seem to be the first to say the essay went well! Good on you. Do you have any tips for preparing for it? Will memorising the relevant capabilities help? Fingers crossed for you!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41 Mytimetoshine22

I found the one on Public jobs easier but i still think i passed

But its Sjts im worried about

i answered it like an interview question and how I would act as an EO. You had to draw from a past experience. So I did the star method in response.

Yes they can be done in any order

JJust did the reasoning one . Got to the last question with 10 seconds remaining so took 4 random guesses lol. Hey probability one is right lol

• Advertisement

Yes i very rarely used excellent only twice

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭NaNaNa1

I didn't think I'd be quite as tired after doing these…

I didn't mind the Numerical Reasoning much but I didn't balance the time well and had to rush the final lot. I've taught LC grinds so I'm not too shoddy with numbers!

Written wasn't too bad (but I'm a professional waffler so there's that)

Situational was the worst for me I think and verbal reasoning tired me out!

Yes the situational is always confusing to me and I am an EO LOL. I always wonder why people call the numerical hard but I forget not everyone did their LC 5 years ago so I can understand how maths might become more difficult if you don't work with it for a long time.

I also never do that great in the situational and also am an EO. I dunno sometimes u can do great in these and sometimes mediocre I think it depends on the day !! Lol

• Registered Users Posts: 8 okaydo

Any idea where it states which tests form part of OOM?

• Advertisement
Advertisement