Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Making an offer on a property unseen

• 15-08-2024 2:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭

I've been looking at a property for a relative who wants to make an offer on it but the estate agent is refusing to accept an offer unless the couple see it themselves (and wants both to view). The agent is also being difficult about accommodating viewings (neither of them live in Dublin where they are trying to buy).

Any views on whether this is usual practice or is something funny going on?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 277 ✭✭ElitesTeam

Estate agent is right. That's silly carry on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,099 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Potentially the biggest purchase of their lives and they won't go to look at it in person? That's crazy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭Smee_Again

If there's someone living in the house then it is they who decide when viewings can take place so its not necessarily the agent being difficult.

As for not accepting a bit from people who haven't seen the house, makes sense to me. Pictures can only do so much and if it went sale agreed there's a chance they'd pull out once they do see it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,799 ✭✭✭SteM

Don't think he'd view them as serious buyers without them seeing the property first tbh. From his point of view they're likely to pull out of the sale if they found something they'd disliked when they finally saw it, which would lead to more work for him. It's safer for him and the sellers to go with someone that had seen it and is happy to put in an offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭strawberry

Thanks all. Various family members have been to see it but I guess he thinks it is not enough. Seems odd to me as it is standard practice in some countries to buy off plan but guess everywhere is different.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,818 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

I would report him to the body that oversees auctioneers, loads of people put bids on property through a solicitor and auctioneers accept them. Email him the bid, if he refuses to accept it send one in through a solicitor.

I suspect he has a regular investor couple interested in it. During the crash loads of people bought property without viewing it

Post edited by Bass Reeves on

Slava Ukrainii

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,729 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

He probably just sees them as timewasters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,818 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,179 ✭✭✭Deeec

I agree with the estate agent. He has no idea who he is dealing with or if they are serious buyers. The estate agent will also give a briefing on the potential buyers circumstances to the seller. I cant see the seller being interested in someone who has no interest in viewing the property themselves and potentially lives abroad which could lead to delays in the buying process.

Also I wouldnt like to be in your shoes recommending houses for your relative. You could tell them what to buy based on your taste and they end up hating it! I love my family but no way would I trust them to pick a house for me to buy without me seeing it in reality. Tell them to get themselves to Dublin to house hunt if they're serious about buying.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,729 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭RichardAnd

Back in the lockdown days, there was the rule of "no viewings until sale agreed". We can presume that a great many sales fell through after the "buyer" was finally allowed to see what they were buying, and that's a headache for the EA and the seller.

Remember the EA works for the seller, not potential buyers. We don't know what instruction he got from the seller or what professional advice he has given them in private.

He may have advised the seller not to accept bids from couples that hadn't seen the property based on past bad experiences, it's up to the seller to decide who they want to deal with. If it's a property that's going to sell easily then they're right to go with the safest bet imo.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,843 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

what are the IAVI going to do? it's a reasonable condition on sale - and there's no legal requirement to accept bids from any or all people.

i'm not surprised by the EA's stance either - less scope for 'oh we didn't realise that…' if they've seen the property before bidding.

FWIW over 20 years ago we tried to complain about an estate agent to the IAVI. they didn't quite seem to understand the concept of a complaint.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,669 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

I very much doubt there is an unconditional requirement for EAs to accept bids from anyone. Not accepting bids from someone who refuses to even view a property first would seem entirely reasonable. In fact, there is a reasonable chance such bids would drive up the price for others before the bidder finally views, and possibly withdraws from the process.

Who spends hundreds of thousands of Euro sight unseen?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,099 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Are you sure? I bought my current house during the Covid pandemic and went to a little under 50 viewings during the process. Went sale agreed in Summer 2021, so would have attended viewings from January 2021.

The only restrictions during those viewings was it was one couple in the house at a time and not to touch anything under any circumstances.

I think you are missing the point being made, rather than about whether viewings were allowed, I suspect it was more about buyers bidding on properties before viewing, then pulling out when they laid eyes on the property. This is likely to be the reason why the EA told the buyer in the op to jog on when they tried to bid without even seeing the house.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 916 ✭✭✭whatnext

I didnt view the house I'm currently living in. Got my parents had a look for me as I was overseas. Most places I've bought were off plans so there was nothing to see. In fact the only properties I've ever viewed was when I was renting. Once the surveyor is happy I'm happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Hairy123

Can you get a couple of friends to view the house & just get them to give the names of the people who want to buy it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,090 ✭✭✭suvigirl

Pretty sure if they said they were investors, the estate agent wouldn't have an issue taking a bid from them.

I'd definitely complain about this, if I was the couple wanting to make a bid

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,319 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Where do the prospective buyers live ?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,843 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

again, though, complain to who? unless it's part of a code of conduct or written down somewhere, the EA is free to reject a bid they don't think is sincere.

Bass Reeves mentioned bidding through a solicitor - that at least would show commitment as it would cost money to do so and would be an indicator they are serious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭RichardAnd

I was told multiple times that there were no viewings. This changed around May 2021 when they would allow viewing with restrictions as you point out. However, for the first part of 2021, most EAs didn't allow viewings with only some exceptions. I guess you just had more reasonable EAs and sellers.

You're "pretty sure" based on what exactly? You're just fabricating a scenario so you can get worked up about something. You don't even know who the EA is for goodness sake.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 692 ✭✭✭Kurooi

Time wasters , the EA is right

The regulatory body can’t make a vendor/EA accept a bid if the condition of accepting the bid is the buyer must view the property first.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,090 ✭✭✭suvigirl

I'm not at all worked up.

But I have bid against people who had never seen the property we were bidding on. Twice in fact. I don't care who the EA is

If your posting the OP complain (without even knowing who to complain to) then you're worked up.

Your experience means nothing to the EA in question or the sellers past experience in the market.

i once bid on a house, to be told it had gone sale agreed - i (exasperatedly) told the EA 'you knew i was interested in the house and was intending on placing a bid!' and his response was 'yes, but i also knew you were getting married at the same time so we went with the person less likely to be distracted'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,013 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

The view the house go sale agreed price is set done. If the survey finds anything they might open up the price again.

They don’t view the house, go sale agreed, price is set. Time passes, then they eventually view the house deicide it’s not for them or they over paid…..

Which would you deal with, which is in the best interests of the client.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭etuzyuk

Understand your frustration, buying can be a frustrating process but the day you buy is the day you sell, so no harm to be dealing with uber conscientious professionals. That goes for your solicitor too, you want them to go through everything with a fine comb but that does not always help with you wanting the contracts signed ASAP. But it's the only way to go.

Just to clarify as well, you said multiple family member have viewed it. Was that multiple viewings or just the one viewing with a big group? How was the EA? Was there a good rapport or were they curt, in and out, seem disinterested? Plus I don't understand exactly why the buyer can't just go look at it. You said EA was being difficult. Maybe they have the same opinion of you if you cannot get the buyer to come.

Advertisement