Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Switching electric/gas providers (see first post for links)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,895 ✭✭✭bren2001

• Registered Users Posts: 9,467 ✭✭✭OmegaGene

i have seen many people come here asking about moving a week before or a few days before, it makes no sense to me just wait until the contract is up and move the next day and no risk of penalty

here is a post from the other day for example :- My current contract with bord gais ends Aug 31 , how soon can i sign up to a new provider or do i literally have to wait until the last day?

The internet isn’t for everyone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 443 ✭✭freebee23

Hi All,

For the Flogas Certa Affinity Dual Fuel offer, is there a section where you can select the 24 hr non smart option as I am still on MCC01 and would like to be sure that I remain in this category.

Is it after the section where you enter your MPRN number and readings??

Cheers,

freebee23

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,178 ✭✭✭Roberto_gas

Well well just got my welcome kit for staff offer after email exchange that it cannot be given😂😂…does anyone know who managed to get it what is the offer called on the letter? Either that or they have messed up the application

EDIT - IT WAS NOT STAFF ONE !

Post edited by Roberto_gas on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,850 ✭✭✭bromley52

That's some saving. When did you get the email?

• Advertisement

the link above is for non-smart. Just fill out the form

Post edited by bren2001 on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,423 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

When did you attempt the sign up? Fully gone through?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,188 ✭✭✭CoBo55

Oooh, we're all ears😊. I wonder will you actually get it?

Well premature excitement….they put me on fixed rate and not staff one which was higher than BWG…I had clearly said cancel the switch if you cannot give me rate i applied.….now the fight to go back to old one begins !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

I moved to bord gais on the 31st of July as contract with flogas was up on the 7th of August. The actual switch over didn't happen until yesterday. But I finally see the data coming through now.

• Advertisement

If it was done via phone call its likely recorded. If they're difficult and refuse to move you to the Certa plan or other, I would request a copy of the recording (via GDPR if necessary).

I tried the staff offer and so did my Dad months back and were no successful. I know of 2 other people I told about it and they were successful. I thought you had done it too! Sucks

well they messed up my last move and i got 33 as compensation and 100 as goodwill gesture ! I had the facts and data ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭lau1247

Any one on a day and night meter and is with Energia? I am a little unclear about the rates and hoping someone might know. I see they have a standard 37% discount plan but when I click on it, it gives 23.99 rate for 24 hour meter only. Nothing else showing for day and night meter as per below.

I did however find their general tariff page (https://www.energia.ie/about-energia/our-tariffs), it shows the 24 hour rate with 37% discount which matches the above from the main page. They also show a 37% discount for day and night further down.

My question is, would I be right to think that if I "switch" over to them, the day and night rate with 37% discount will automatically apply because that is the meter type I have (Even though there is no specific 37% discount page for day and night meter that I can find)?

West Dublin, ☀️ 7.83kWp ⚡5.66 kWp South West, ⚡2.18 kWp North East

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭jasonb

Yep, I am on a Day/Night meter and recently moved to the 37% discount with Energia. I had the same concern, it was only showing the 24 hour rates, but I think the Day/Night rates appeared once I started the switch and put in my meter details. I am definitely on the correct Day/Night rates now.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 xbl

Anyone here with YUNO. I am thinking of switching but they seem to have some pretty poor reviews online

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,188 ✭✭✭CoBo55

Did you put in your mprn? It should show the D/N rates then.

Thanks, just tried it there, yes it is showing. Must be tiredness from late night that I missed it.

Energia's looks like a very decent plan Day (26.3c) / Night (12.61c) with 296.4 standing charge and their FIT is better than Bord Gais (Who I am with at the moment). - Only downside is rate is variable.

For gas, Flogas seems to have the best at 8.13c (fixed) with 151.19 standing charge.

All figures includes VAT.

Gonna hold out until contract end at the start of September and see and see if BGE will do any better than the current 24%/20%. The above looks like a good plan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,414 ✭✭✭ando

I’m with Flogas at the moment on a 24hr rate. Just got an electric car. Is it worth breaking contract and going to Energia for electricity night rate? I know of the €50 penalty but the difference is significant for car charging overnight.

Depends on when your contract ends. Apart from that I am going to assume urban and prices below is including VAT. Not sure what plan you are on with Flogas so gonna compare against the Certa one.

Company | SC | Unit Rate

Energia | 236.62 | 23.99

Flogas | 257.38 | 23.44

BG | 218.55 | 24.56

Compare Energia versus Flogas: Flogas gas has higher standing charge, you need to use 3,775 units to break even if you go with Flogas

Compare Flogas versus BG: Flogas has higher standing charge, you need to use 3,467 units to break even if you go with Flogas.

Looks like Flogas is the most expensive out of the three.

Compare BG with Energia: Energia has higher standing charge, you need to use 3,170 unit to break even if you go with Energia

So if you don't use more than 3,170 a year then BG is appears to be cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Daith

I see Electric Ireland is now offering a welcome bonus which might cancel out the slightly higher standing charge versus BGE

• Advertisement

Adding in the 24hour and 30% discount + €50 bonus from EI.

Company | SC | Unit Rate

Energia | 236.62 | 23.99

Flogas | 257.38 | 23.44

BG | 218.55 | 24.56

EI | 250.77 (-50) | 25.08

EI's standing charge is less than BG when the €50 bonus is taken into account but EI has slightly higher unit rate. You need to use 3,419 units if going with BG to break even. So if using less than 3,419 units, then EI is cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭linthum

i am on standard meter 24hr. is it a good time to activate the smart meter plan considering there are many smart meter plans with lower unit rates?

there are many smart meter plans with lower unit rates?

Are there?

The answer is going to different for different setups. There's no universal yes/no answer to this question.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,214 ✭✭✭batistuta9

if you haven't an electric car or solar or use a larger majority of units in cheaper periods it's still a no. & probably always will be a no

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭Romero

Hi All

Flogas Community Deal finished the 12 months on the 15th, just took a reading for both electricity & Gas have a standard 24 hour meter.

Electricity 3453 Kwh

Gas 9244kwh

According to Bonkers best dual fuel deal is flogas Team Ireland (existing customers) 300 euro cashback rates as follows

Electricity Unit rate 28.972 cent per kWh Annual standing charge €257.37

Gas Unit rate 8.822 centper kWh Annual standing charge €151.19

Overall savings €802.23

Do I trust Bonkers? Is there some other hidden deal out there or would I be better going for seperate suppliers for gas and electricity?

There is the Flogas Affinity rate but based on your usage, there would not be savings when you factor in the €300 cash back:

• (28.972-23.44)/100*3453 = 191
    • (8.822-8.13)/100*9244 = 64
    • €255 < €300

There's no other "hidden" offers out there that have been mentioned on this thread. Why wouldn't you trust Bonkers? You can see the savings by splitting by selecting Electricity and Gas in the tabs at the top.

There is a catch, if you find a better deal and leave, Flogas will take back their €300 meaning the cost to exit your contract early is €400 (effectively).

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭linthum

ok thanks. im considering going for EI 30% off plan. if I renew today as my contracts up in 3 days, can i switch to EI on same day I renew to flogas.

also considering the cashback on plans which ones has long term savings? the ones with early cashback or lower unit rates but no cashback?

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭Darith

Thinking of moving to Yuno as I would make money on the smaller service charge essentially. I have a mcc002 smart meter with just a day and night rate so essentially a unactivated smart meter. I have been directly informed that all Yuno's bills are estimated and that there are issues when trying to reconcile with actual readings? Another comment I received is that they don't actually read smart meters directly either via esb networls or not? Is this true?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,387 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

I’m trying to switch to SSE and they’re telling me my smart meter isn’t sending a strong enough signal that they can’t give me a smart deal.

Anyone else seen this before?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,072 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

Hi folks,

We have a new build and need to pick a provider.

Question is are we better going with a smart plan or not?

Rural.

A2w heating in a well insulated and airtight house

No EV

Advertisement