Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia-Ukraine War (Threadbanned in op)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,530 ✭✭✭Markcheese

The Russians have managed to hit a few , at least 2 went back to the states to be rebuilt ,

Reported that the crew of this one are safe , so that's a big plus ,

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 2,087 ✭✭✭rolling boh

Find it difficult to read exactly how things are going as I don't want Russia gaining more ground in Ukraine while Ukraine are occupied with what they are doing in Russia .I am not convinced the cross border push by Ukraine is going to have the impact on Russia that most on here hoped .The area is too vast to gain before real panic starts with the general population to maybe put Putin in danger .I hope I am wrong of course .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,271 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

Russian economy, army is gone back 100 years, the amount of resources, military equipment, missiles being lost /used daily is frightening, must be hitting a billion some days, not a mind bleeding their country of people, any that can find a way out will leave,keep it going for a few years more and they will be throwing rocks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭rogber

The idea that the incursion would trigger some popular uprising to depose Putin, that Russian soldiers would run away as soon as the first shot was fired, was fanciful and pushed by the same folk who always get ahead of themselves any time something happens. The reports from last couple of days make it clear Ukraine is doing something bold but very risky and already paying a high price, both within Russia and in terms of territory back home. I felt from the beginning only in hindsight will we see how wise and successful a move it was. Not only Putin's but also Zelensky and his top military people's reputation have a lot riding on this, particularly as it seems the West knew little about it. A delicate balancing act:

Post edited by rogber on

God that's grim. More wives and parents and children who've lost family, a reminder that the reality of war is a long way removed from all of us following it on the media...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 338 ✭✭vswr

Quite telling about the state of Russian aircraft…. they were really pushing the use of the TU-22's the last few weeks as a projection of force (fastest heavy bomber in the world etc…..)

Then one goes bang while doing so

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 754 ✭✭✭thatsdaft

Just.

Following.

Orders.

* https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Superior_orders

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,572 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

or in hindsight how dumb it was, short of creating some short term headlines I dont see how the Ukrainians will hold on to this land long enough to turn it into a negotiating chip, Its a real head scratcher, im not sure Ukraine have expendable reserves at this stage

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭Paddigol

Go back and read this post and then let us have your thoughts…

It's easy to pick a single bad news story and come out with one-sentence pronouncements, but that doesn't do much for the overall discussion.

Edit: also, I'm not sure you have any insight into Ukraine's reserves? I'd have a lot of confidence in the Ukrainians' ability to judge the resources available to them here… they've hardly put a foot wrong in the war to date.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,530 ✭✭✭Markcheese

It's not so much Russian general population "panic" ,as russian logistics, rail in particular, the Ukrainians have one of the major supply lines under artillery fire , and while it's far from the only line ,it'll putting serious extra pressure on an already creaking Russian rail system…

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭gw80

Who said this would cause a populist uprising, and that the russians would run away at the first shot ?.( some didn't wait, or run away, they threw their hands in the air as quickly as possible) there must be some serious armpit injuries over throwing their arms up so quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

UAF managed to take out another supply column

All eyes on Kursk. Slava Ukraini.

Just as a few days ago it was too early to say it was a masterstroke, it's also too early to say it was a big mistake based on some bad news. If lots more soldiers get killed or captured and more territory is lost in Ukraine, it will look bad and could do serious damage to Zelensky and the military going forward. But we are not there yet, the situation is still evolving. Let's give it another week or two...

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭Roald Dahl

How may are in this 810th murder gang? They may slow things up, but they will hopefully also be dealt with comprehensively along the way.

It will be difficult on an individual level for Ukrainians not to respond in kind, but ultimately they will need to to not let themselves - as they have peerlessly done up to now - sink to the levels of deviant, degenerate depravity of the Russians. This is of course the correct course of action,no matter how satisfying retaliation may be at the time. Those who joyously commit these type of atrocities, and are additionally hailed as heroes by their regime, will have will have to be suffered by wider society in the future. These brutes will go on to inflict harm on anyone that crosses their path if they emerge out the other side of this war.

Both things were claimed here over the previous few days, anyone who's been following the thread closely saw it. Read through all the posts since the weekend and you'll see them, I don't have the time to trawl back through them and am not interested in points scoring. But the claims were made, and they weren't even the wildest ones

I think that is way off. Fundamentally the Russian view in that post does not express their reality (dont at me) but the Russians see this war as existential not one of choice , their people see this conflict as a NATO proxy war with the goal of breaking up Russia, they aint turning and fleeing, the Russians are playing this as an attrition strategy their logic is you attrit the other side until they crack. All wars end right? at the end of this Ukraine will still exist but it will have smaller borders , they will lose some section of the east of the country, the rest is just horse trading

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

A mix of good and bad news on BBC: hundreds of Russian soldiers captured, airbases hit, but progress is slowing in Kursk and more territory slipping away in Ukraine...

You have created a strawman, inventing a narrative to be contrarian against for some weird bizarre reason

Now go ahead and post proof of these posts you claim you seen here

Another Russian column swatted out of existence near Koronevo by HIMARs according to Russians

source: https://www.reddit.com/r/UkraineWarVideoReport/s/LvlQjUzDEg

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

The Kremlin claims that it is existential for Russia. That is not at all the same as saying the Russian people view it as existential.

There is clear evidence to suggest that the Russian people dont consider it existential, from it being called a special military operation to Prigozhins mutiny to the resistance to mobilisation to the shock at what happened in Kursk.

People may accept and repeat the line that it is an existential issue, but they dont really believe it. Unfortunately youve fallen for a Kremlin lie

I think their government believes it and their people are with them, Im sure there is always dissenting opinion but it makes no odds. Im not falling for anything, the point is I dont see Russia collapsing or somehow doing a coup against Putin, that's fantasy land.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,351 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

Yes, there is a big distinction between the views of…well Putin and the ordinary Russian people. Vlad Vexler talks about this in his latest video. He actually hits on a few points that have been discussed in this thread recently

TLDR: Regardless of what happens in Kursk Putin won't likely face any backlash from the Russian People. That's because the Russian people have been "radically depoliticised" i.e. brain washed against thinking that they have any agency when it comes to politics. For them events like what's happening in Kursk are more akin to natural disasters rather than the consequences of bad political decisions by Putin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭gw80

I have been paying attention closely, and I'm pretty sure nobody said those things, but shur look,

Even if this excursion is stopped in it's tracks today and even if all them are killed by the Russian orks isn't it a testament to these brave men who marched into the breach with courage not really knowing the reaction from Russia, and not under threat of being shot or imprisoned if they didn't drive on,

They do in the hope of contributing to freeing their country from being under the control of Russia and in the hope of providing a better future for their families,

Unlike the russians who are scuttling across Ukraine like cockroaches for no real decernible reason,christ some of them even think they are fighting Poland, that's how clued in these dregs are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,043 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Yes, you can see that in any recent Russian vox pop. They talk about the war as if it is something happening in Peru or Tibet…something that doesn't involve them and over which they have no agency. The idea that their opinion could in any way influence the outcome of the war seems beyond alien to them. The fact that their own country has been invaded barely even seems to register with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭Paddigol

The thing is, even if the Ukrainians do withdraw, I'll bet it's in an organised manner and along pre-planned lines. It'll still have been a successful operation despite any withdrawal as it'll have seriously damaged Russian morale, prestige not to mention the destruction of equipment and facilities, defences constructed.

As long as they don't haemorrhage men and equipment, it's basically a win/win for Ukraine.

The armchair general in me would love to see a bit more fluidity to their push… a bit like water going downhill. But if they are actually aiming to take specific targets then that's not an option. So I guess their approach will tell a lot in that respect.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,110 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

What's dumb about it? Let's see..

It has already diverted Russian forces from the frontlines elsewhere. It's been a huge boost to morale for Ukraine. If they hold any of it, the land can be used as a vital bargaining chip. They have captured hundreds of Russian POWs which can be exchanged. It's once again embarrassed and exposed the Russian leadership and military. It has created world headlines, which is critical for Ukraine to keep the war in the public's eye. It's also created a tactical headache for the Russians who have to expend resources reinforcing that entire border line. It's shown how dynamic the Ukrainian military can be.

If the Russians push them back, the Ukrainians will be in advantageous defensive positions, the Russians will be obliterating their own country to do so, and for what? Best case scenario they reclaim some of their own territory.

The risks? That plus some weakness on the Eastern front which is being ground away anyway inch by inch.

Advertisement