Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Making an offer on a property unseen

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,090 ✭✭✭suvigirl

🤣 no I'm not at all worked up

The last property I rented had never been seen by my landlord either, ever. So happens regularly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,799 ✭✭✭SteM

Again, your past experience mean nothing to this EA or the seller.

Who should the OP complain to by the way? What exact rules are being broken?

I never said rules were broken. You can complain about things without rules being broken. I think perhaps you have a bias about this type of thing. I'm not arguing with you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,799 ✭✭✭SteM

Complain to who about what?

There is no argument to be made to be honest, you just wanted to complain for the sake of it.

Who will I complain to? Don't know.

What exactly am I complaining about? Don't know.

Pretty sure the OP and the potential buyers would be the people who know those answers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,669 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

We’d all like to think complaints have merit, complaining to a regulatory body because the EA/vendor won’t consider an offer from someone who hasn’t viewed the property, would seem to be complaining for the sake of complaining. Life would be a struggle for anyone who was so easily upset.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,818 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

It depends if it the vendors condition of sale, it may be the auctioneer going on a solo run to benefit a regular buyer who is an investor or he may have someone he knows interested in it.

The IAVI is not the regulator for auctioneers its there representative body. The National Property Services Regulatory Authority is there actual regulator. You probably would be send to them by the IAVI.

The frst thing OP needs to ascertain from the auctioneers is that he has received those instructions from the vendor and that the instructions are absolute. He can make a complaint to the NPSRA then who would check with the vendor to make sure t6gat these were his instructions.

Another option for the OP is to go onto the Landdirect site get a copy of the property folio if it is available and contact the vendor directly. The folio copy costs less than a tenner

https://g.co/kgs/DJyLkc8

Yes maybe it's the vendor instructions and everything is above board. However it would not be the first auctioneers to do a solo run that suits them.

By the way I have nothing against auctioneers but OP has every right to follow through if that is his wish and if there relations are genuinely interested in the property.

Post edited by Bass Reeves on

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭etuzyuk

Sometimes the simple reasons are the most common.

Is the asking price/bid reasonable?

Is there much interest in the property, desirable location etc?

If yes, then EA is dealing with many other bidders, viewings and trying to liaise with occupants, co-ordinate times etc. and give their client a realistic expectation of how the sale will go. In your case they may have said blind bidder, reluctance to view from actual buyer. If you're the only bidder then that's their tough but in a sellers market, and if they have multiple bids, then it could be just a simple case of them only accepting bids they feel genuine. You'd be better off to humour them and get the buyer to view it even if the timing is awkward.

If there is something else dodgy going on then I'm sorry for you, you're in a difficult situation. You're only trying to help out a family member. Your best course of action would probably be to identify another suitable property instead of investing your energy in a battle with no realistic outcome or win. You don't need that stress.

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭strawberry

One half of the couple has seen it, the other is having issues getting to it as viewings are only during the week. It just seemed odd to me that the EA would impose that type of restriction as I've known various people who have bought without an in person viewing and I've always been able to get a pretty good feeling for a property based on photos and a floor plan. If I was a seller I would be a bit annoyed if the EA was limiting the pool of bidders for that reason but maybe he's just had some bad past experiences in that scenario. Good to hear others' views on it in any event.

This doesn't make sense. So the bidders have actually seen the property? But the EA won't take bids from them? I'm calling Shenanigans!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,818 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

If what you say is true it's very odd. I be following it up

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,179 ✭✭✭Deeec

Why didn't you mention in your original post that 1 person from the couple has seen the property. No seller or EA only allow viewings during the week - seems a bit unbelievable being honest. Your first post made it sound like the couple lived abroad!!!

If your serious can the other half of the couple not take a day off - they have to make an effort if they are interested. Tell them to give themselves a shake!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭JVince

Op's story seems to have changed.

I suspect it's mostly made up.

Imagine looking at buying a house for €400,000++ (a low estimate for Dublin) and not wanting to take a day off to view it?

Either the buyer is extremely naive or terribly stupid and no agent will waste time on such a bid to the detriment of genuine buyers.

I'm currently looking at a retirement property in Portugal. I've flown over 3 times recently to look at properties I was interested in. Yet the op's friend won't drive a couple of hours to Dublin?

Now imagine if you were interested in buying this property and the estate agent tells you that someone down the country who has not seen the property has put a higher bid in? Imagine the reaction of the EXACT same people on this thread claiming the agent is trying to do something untoward.

Funny, when you look at other posts of these people they seem to believe every conspiracy theory out there in everything. Rather funny

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,249 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Buying off plans is only a thing for new builds, where you are going to have a snagger and various other things in place. This is, presumably, an extant house

Buying those without viewing is not a standard practice anywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭etuzyuk

Ok Strawberry, it all seems a bit odd. Maybe there's something else going on. But if it's a genuine sale, only other excuse I could give EA is the new rules on renters having first refusal. If it's renter occupied, maybe the EA is paranoid about accepting bids that could be construed as dodgy and designed to drive up price. Or maybe it's a buy back. Good luck.

Advertisement