Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Couples on 107K can’t afford a home

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Beta Ray Bill

Incentives are bad, especially if there is a middle man involved. The middle man sucks it all up.

It's the same with Solar Panels, my dad ordered 2 online for his boat, I think they were €100/200 each, (he's a spark so he could install them)

Lads installing the same panels are looking for €750 per panel installed, it's outrageous. Obviously there is additional equipment required for an Panel install, but for 10 panels with no battery you're talking about €7,000-€8,000

#imtryingttorunabusinesshere #makehaywhilethesunshines

• Registered Users Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭Vote4Squirrels

Anything like that someone will make a buck - even funerals! My dad's funeral (smack back in the middle of Covid, so the barest of bare bones anyway!) was quoted at 4,300 euro.

I know someone in the Citizens Info who pointed me towards 1,000 grant - I mentioned this to the funeral director. I went back a few weeks later to pay and saw the invoice - now 4,950 (padded 650 of the grant! I didn't get it anywway).

I paid him 3,300 and told him to sue me for the rest. My dad's ashes were scattered over three years ago this summer - and not word one have I heard from the undertaker. Shocking gouging that!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,005 ✭✭✭circadian

People coming here isn't the problem. The population has been steadily growing for decades. The problem is successive governments not scaling infrastructure and services as needed. We have a wide range of problems that create a cycle of being outpaced by population growth.

1. Councils don't have much control over planning, government is heavily centralised and decisions made on a national or even regional scale may not meet the needs at a local level.
    2. An Bord Pleanála has far too much control and again behaves without really considering local impact and regularly overrules council/local government approvals for developments on suprious grounds.
    3. A lot of the political class are landlords/land owners. It is my personal opinion that at least some of them don't see the need to tackle problems in the property market as it benefits them.
    4. The HSE is top heavy, it has been for decades. The quality of healthcare here is excellent, the problem is availability.
    5. Governments are often fixated on plugging holes and appearing to be doing something so when the next election cycle comes around they can "look busy" when in reality we need long term plans that span several Dail sessions, regardless who is elected into power.
    6. We need decentralisation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,558 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

I have a lot of empathy for those trying to buy.

That article is nonsense though.

I guarantee that a couple €107k would be able to buy a new build in every county surrounding Dublin.

@circadian

People coming here isn't the problem. The population has been steadily growing for decades

Migrant population growth is a huge problem. For example a baby being born will in most circumstances live with their parents, they don't need a new dwelling, they live with their family for 18/25/30 years depending.

When I migrant arrives they need a dwelling, immediately.

Population growth isn't detailed enough to explain what's happening.

In 2023 there were 57,373 births, 35,549 deaths, and the population increased by 86,614

So (roughly) the number of migrants that arrived here is approx 65,000… in one year (A lot of these could be Irish people returning home from places like Australia). That is huge. it's over a 1% increase in the adult population, a 2% increase on the urban population, which is where most of them want to live. (Half those numbers if they all have kids)

If they have the right to be here, then I am absolutely fine with that, but the powers that be need to make sure the states infra can mange the extra people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,077 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Indeed they can. It's not a housing crisis it's an I want a mansion on oconnell street crisis!

• Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭Fred Cryton

There are lots of apartments out there in greater Dublin area going for 250k to 300k.

A single person earning 55K could borrow 220k, and therefore just needs about 25k to 50k deposit.

To be honest, if you earning less than 55k you should not be buying a home by yourself. You should be buying as a couple.

Based on these figures, while housing is expensive, you could argue affordability is reasonable.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,193 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Economic growth and immigration are a package deal. Can't have one without the other these days. Japan cracked down hard which meant retirees coming out of retirement to work. Pensions are another ticking time bomb. If people are living in houseshares until their 30s, 40s and 50s or longer, that means a much smaller worker pool to pay our pensions and at least a much higher retirement age.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭suvigirl

Approx 1.5 million Irish born people live overseas. Maybe if government had have supplied services for the population born here, there wouldn't be an issue?

Ok so first thing I googled:

https://www.daft.ie/new-home-for-sale/terraced-house-the-poplar-baker-hall-baker-hall-academy-street-navan-co-meath/3931892

3-bed cause they want to start a family, and they work in Dublin. it's €375k so they're at the absolute limit of what they can borrow.

It's to difficult to start a family with both parents needing to do a 3 hour commute everyday. (Schools, Creche and what not) It's also likely they are not from there and will have no family support either. It's just not workable.

It's not as simple as people think it is, juggling family stuff is a serious overhead. I'm at the other end of the tunnel (nearly) I know what I'm talking about.

• Advertisement

Yup! 100% they do and Japan really screwed up (I think there's an element of racisms there if I'm honest, I've been there).

It just needs to be managed and planned to some degree, and right now there no meaningful planning and it's certainly not being managed.

I bought a 3 bed in Athboy for a third of that in 2017 and sold it at a profit in 2022 to move to a 6 bed in wexford. We're earning just over the threshold mentioned. We can't afford to live in dublin (in an area or house type we want) so we cut our cloth and moved.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,193 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

There are flats in London for about the same as in Galway. It's absurd.

More than an element IMO but it's a sovereign state. It can do as it pleases.

The problem with infrastructure in Ireland is that during the tiger years, FF just gave everyone tax cuts to spend on nonsense instead of upgrading infrastructure. In 2017, a senior figure from a US multinational opening saying that Dublin's infrastructure was too poor to attract much investment that would be leaving the UK.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭Vote4Squirrels

I'm a single person (mid 50s) on a shade under 50k - if I was younger and more motivated, I could save a deposit and buy the house I've rented for nearly 20 years (from the same person). It's nice, comfortable and near amenities. I've a bugger of a commute like but to say "unable to buy a house" - nonsense!

And, if I were single, I'd have bought a small country cottage somewhere for a lot cheaper too. I agree, this "can't buy a house" crap really annoys me. Since I'm still in my 30's too it's not like I'm a boomer 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭Fred Cryton

Economic growth and LEGAL migration through a work visa system go hand in hand. But you know that's not the type of immigration most people concerned about.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭TokTik

Not everyone has a “home” to move back into. Or home could be West Cork, not much use when your a Garda in Drogheda and your missus is a teacher in Balbriggan.

That is a point but not everyone works in Dublin, blended work from home is becoming more and more common nurses, Garda, social care, ect work shifts loads of pharm and engineering work shifted even professional services such as solicitors do blended work in today's society.

That is only of you hold a medical card. As usual, if you pay your own way you get screwed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,192 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

What were bedsits replace with?

Nothing. Hence their removal has made the crisis much worse. Students who used to live in (albeit ****) bedsits are now taking up a room along with 2-3 others in a 3 bed semi-d. Where exactly are the families supposed to live if there are students living in the 3 beds?

We should be horsing out thousands of communal living units for students.

10 storey buildings where each storey contains communal living spaces + an ensuite bedroom for everyone. Purpose built is how you free up family houses for families and also get higher density housing where its needed. These dorms dont even need carparks if they are built in the correct locations.

• Advertisement

Well it will take them 8 years to save the deposit instead of the 4 it's takes the couple who could move in with there parents.

I'm not a medical card holder and I was told the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,635 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Has a deflation in property prices ever happened on a planned basis? Haven't property prices globally generally risen?

I agree, housing needs to be more affordable by the way, just interesting to see how to manage to increase supply enough to ease on the demand side in Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

That number isn't so straight forward. I'm not denying there's a lot now leaving out of neccesity but not all of them. I used to work in a pub next to a hospital in Sydney and met dozens of Irish nurses who said from day one the plan was to move over there once they were qualified. Not all of them are going over there because they feel they have no choice.

I’m not a MC holder and tried it. Told it was for public patients only. Luckily a new surgery opened in my town and got in there, although all they are worried about is money.

Simply, build up. Irelands reticence to go upwards rather than outwards because Ballymun was a failure is an absolute joke.

I never suggested they do. I'd be fairly certain that at least 90% of Irish emigrate because they want to.

I'm not suggesting you did and your right the majority are leaving because they feel they've no choice but they're are some who are leaving because of the shitshow nurses deal with at work here not always the housing situation. I've been hospitalised several times in both countries and if I was a nurse here I'd be on the first plane over there. My only point was it's not just housing sending them abroad. I signed myself out of a hospital here twice in the last 2 years because of the appaling state of the place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,635 ✭✭✭✭kippy

And this has worked at reducing property prices in other large cities/countries?

• Advertisement

It works in some places because appartments are cheaper to rent than houses in most cities. I know a young couple in their 20's paying €1800 a month for a 3 bed semi. They don't need all that space. If there was more 1/2 bedroom appartments available lets say the rent is €1200. Thats €600 more they can put towards a deposit for a house per month. When they eventually have a family they need a house so they have a bigger deposit in a better position to buy a house. The next young couple moves in there and the cycle starts again.

Advertisement