Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE Radio 1: The 9 O Clock Show hosted by Various Megathread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,423 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

I’d rather listen to my auld fella enter my auld one than listen to Callan’s Kicks. 

Not hard to know what type of comedy you favour.

Might I suggest Bernard Manning or Mrs Brown? Smutty imagery and double entendre's a plenty there. Not my cup of tea but they are popular.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

This is it, the slot should have been cut after Kielty wasn’t going to take it. It’s a placeholder for the ‘Late Late Show’ host. It was factored into their payment package.

Would have been great if they’d “rejigged” the daytime schedule and gave Louise Duffy an extra hour.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭Bobson Dugnutt

Ya, that’s what they should have done. Save 150k, make Duffy’s slot 2 hours, leave Today show as is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Sigma101

Louise of course. Joe is fine though. Liveline really isn’t my think as I care very very little for the opinions of the type of people who would ring Liveline. Gets a lot of guff on this forum though by the crew who sit down and hate listen every single day (including the genuinely horrific Funny Fridays).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,159 ✭✭✭RoTelly

I honestly don't get why people get on boards to vent at people, just leave the man be, he's a great entertainer making lots and lots of money. I mean boards hasn't been relevant in about a decade. Angry old men spouting shite that what it is really. Good for Callan may his reign at 9 continue and may RTÉ giving him lots and lots of money.

______

Just one more thing .... when did they return that car

Yesterday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭LambshankRedemption

Again 150k is not a large salary any more. You should be taking aim at Joe Duffy or Ray Darcy who are on 2-3 times that amount. Or George Lee on 186k for no-one knows what.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,550 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Spot on but RTE keep getting bailed out so why bother changing. And it seems some people here have no issue with the salaries.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Bellbottoms

It is a large salay if you are only working part time hours.

Joe is great. This hate listening does you no good Bob, Joe is make good money and continual has an audience. typical middle age man getting at a OAP doing for himself.

I think Joe would do well in London or NYC if he choose to go down that route, lets hope he does. Soon.

Don't understand why people post on Boards.ie, not relevant in years.

______

Yesterday

• Advertisement

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

______

Yesterday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,814 ✭✭✭Brian Scan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,643 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Load of rubbish, comparing apples with oranges for reasons too numerous to mention….and of course you know that.

He/she who pays worries about the listenership and their prime slots. Reality.

Thats the way to do it Francie, blame the Govt for everything.

I wasn't. I was referring to RTE management there. I blamed the government for allowing the rot and excess over decades that led to where we are now, no proper oversight and even though they knew (See Timmy Dooley etc) there were excesses and possible corruption they stood idly by.

Just in off the links, Brian. Missed 3 birdie putts in the last 4 holes so maybe I’m a bit dazed and confused, but what am I missing?

You should read the post I quoted, Bobson. I think there was an implication that you throw stones from a glass house.

• Advertisement

As sure maybe I do. Shít happens. Don’t give it too much thought to be honest. Shouldn’t be taking this site too seriously. Complete waste of time.

Well done Callan for his JNLR figures. Maintaining the audience. Seems to have captured enough of the audience who don’t like to move the dial unless it’s over to Galway Bay FM for the death notices. He’s quite an establishment sort of chap for a lad who considers himself a lampooning outsider.

Yeah, none of this should be regarded too seriously.

Absolutely Brian. Taking the opinions of anonymous strangers on the internet in any way seriously is just a very bad use of one’s time.

He kept the audience and added to it, great presenter, good on RTÉ for getting on board. I think this hate listening is just bring down this site, completely waste of time anyway. I don't see why you might see him as establishment, Ryan was good all the same you probably like the rest of them have a problem with him too, look at him off there living up in London, you just hate listening all the time.

Boards just isn't relevant.

______

Yesterday

Dude, I actually enjoy your posts, but I do think you need to learn to chill out and relax more. I know you believe passionately in the whole RTE and value for money thing, but maybe just step back a little from it at times ok. It’s not that big a deal in the general scheme of things.

This is how I look at it, you've offered the idea that you should not criticise a presenter because you don't like them but you then go on to criticise those other presenters in almost the same way as others have criticised the predecessor in that role. You then tell everyone that boards is not relevant.

Thank you for recognising that I have something to say on this subject, I hope my opinion is based on facts that are available and when I do suggest something that could have happened, I make it clear its purely an assumption on my part.

I am passionate about this subject and I believe we have been let down by our public service broadcaster. Almost everything that they have said about TV production and broadcast over the years is nearly always an excuse not to do something, meaning over the years we've be left with a bland public service broadcaster and by extension bland commercial broadcasters.

I agree with some of the wages are most likely in line with industry standards but there are plenty in RTÉ are are being over paid for their roles. I will also agree there are times when you will want to keep a high profile presenter as they are bring in an audience. However, these are few and far between. This is largely down to RTÉ's inability to develop new upcoming presenters and sticking to establishment presenters.

There is no way that a Gerry Ryan type presenter could develop in RTÉ today, or any new presenter (I wish 2FM luck in their search but that should have happened 2 decades ago).

RTÉ were right to let go of Pat Kenny, I'd imagine even if RTÉ had offered him more money he would have been better severed going to Newstalk. His role in newstalk has always been to rise the programmes surrounding his show, and he has done this to great effect, however I'd argue that Newstalk is in trouble because there is no one coming up. Their morning show presenters and the hard shoulder presenter are just carbon copies of non-entities that give the pretence of being curmudgeons but really Ivan Yeats and George Hook are a loss to the station. I imagine that when Pat leaves Newstalk will be in a difficult position. I see no one from RTÉ that they might nab for that role, nor do I see any one in the commerical sector, potentially Matt Copper but he's getting old too. And you can forget about the finger wagging, glossy, lip smacking, hipster, we know best, wannabe Group Chat Gang from VMTV.

RTÉ certainty shouldn't have given into Ray D'Arcy's demands.

But I digress, in essence most people wouldn't care about the presenters pay or executives pay if RTÉ had done a good job. This "nothing burger" of a scandal would be such had RTÉ actually provided a service over the years, but they didn't, they believe their own lies about almost everything and still took their annual August break, rather than trying to get the audience on board.

So no I won't stop. :/

I will leave it at that, thanks again.

______

Yesterday

I only heard a small excerpt of Callans interview with Alistair Campbell and had to laugh at his constant interruptions to try to get Campbell to agree that Tony Blair made a mistake over Iraq.

And no, I’m not going into five pages on what peoples views. were on that…….Soz.

Funny, I heard somebody constantly trying to deny what we all know, Tony and Alastair made a mistake over Iraq.

Thought it was a balanced interview myself, not everything Al done being portrayed or called out as mistaken or bad. Callan is a reasonable interviewer in that sense.

Yeah, funny Iraq is rarely in the news now for gassing folk en masse and other stuff.

Big mistake there in fairness, people would like to hear more headlines like that.

• Advertisement

So you are in the minority that thinks Blair didn't make a mistake. Ok, that's fine but that isn't the job of an interviewer to conform to what you believe. Soz.

Advertisement