Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Roundabouts—give way to the right

124»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭Uncle Pierre

Just to further illustrate the point to @Akrasia, using a real life example -

This is the Clough roundabout, close to Gorey in Co. Wexford. It's the route I drive when on my way home from Gorey - a journey I make at least three or four times a week.

I need to take the exit to the right. Note how there's no visibility back along that road, so I can't see anything approaching from that side which is not already at its 'Yield' sign.

I position myself where the red X is, and come to a complete halt to yield to a blue car which is already on the roundabout when I get there, and which is taking the path shown by the blue arrow.

The blue car moves on, and there's now not a single vehicle in sight. So, I begin to take the path shown by the red arrow, in order to get into the correct lane for my desired exit.

As I'm doing so, the yellow car suddenly enters the fray from the approach road to the right (point marked by the yellow X), at a speed such that its driver has to slow down when he/she sees me.

Am I wrong for having entered the roundabout when there wasn't a single vehicle to be seen?

And if so, what am I to do instead? All I can think of is either wait there indefinitely, or else take a different route home altogether.

I really am eagerly awaiting your answer on this one…..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,470 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

If the car wasn't in your field of view when you entered the roundabout, then you are perfectly entitled to enter the roundabout as the roundabout was clear and you couldn't see any traffic approaching from the right that you would be obstructing. However, If you saw the yellow car was about to enter the roundabout but hadn't 'technically' crossed their yield line yet so figured you'd take the right of way by entering the roundabout first, then you'd be in the wrong

Post edited by Akrasia on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,470 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

I take the interpretation where I don't deliberately enter a roundabout when I can see a car coming from the right towards me at a speed and distance that would cause an accident if that other driver didn't take evasive action to avoid me.

I'm not trying to excuse drivers speeding through roundabouts, I'm trying to say that it's the responsibility for the driver entering the roundabout to ensure that there are no cars to his/her right that would be forced to take evasive action to avoid him/her

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭moonage

"I'm trying to say that it's the responsibility for the driver entering the roundabout to ensure that there are no cars to his/her right that would be forced to take evasive action to avoid him/her"

That is only true if the car to the right is already on the roundabout. It is irresponsible for a car to the right to enter if it would cause anyone already on the roundabout to take evasive action.

Obviously if someone is barrelling through from the right it is sensible to cede priority to avoid a collision. 

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭Uncle Pierre

With regard to the first line of your response here (which is the more relevant one in actually answering the question):

What you now say yourself doesn't tally with your earlier assertion that a driver must give way to cars even approaching the roundabout from the right. This is obviously not possible if that other car is approaching from a point which you can't even see. So, it's clearly not a "must" situation.

With regard to your second line: I agree. If you can see there's a car about to enter the roundabout from your right, at a speed at which you'd create a hazard for it if you began to enter the roundabout too, then you shouldn't enter the roundabout until that other car has passed.

However, I still maintain that the driver of the other car shouldn't in the first place be entering the roundabout at a speed which may partly contribute to a hazard, should somebody else attempt to enter from the next entrance. This is in line with the general driving rule of always be able to stop safely in the distance you can clearly see ahead.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭J_R

Roundabouts are and should be treated exactly as you would any other junction. The only rule unique to roundabouts is the Turn Left on entering. All other rules apply, lane changing, traffic signs etc.

Roundabouts with a Yield sign. Motorists must approach at a speed that will allow them to safely stop before the line - if not safe to proceed. Any motorist that approaches and enters a roundabout at speed is totally in the wrong and any mishap as a result would be completely on the that driver.

(All roundabouts have either a yield, stop or traffic lights).

However before posting checked with ChatGPT re signs:-

Not all roundabouts have yield signs, but the majority do. Yield signs are commonly used at roundabouts to control the flow of traffic, ensuring that vehicles entering the roundabout yield to those already circulating within it. This helps prevent collisions and keeps traffic moving smoothly.

However, in some countries or specific roundabouts, different traffic control measures might be used. These could include stop signs, traffic lights, or even no signage at all, depending on local traffic laws and the design of the roundabout.

Advertisement