Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Gràinne Seoige in the Dàil?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 61,012 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Maybe if she started at her local council level and worked her way up serving her community I'd have more respect for her if she then decided to run as a TD canidate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,531 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

They have plenty to worry about when it comes to getting 40% female candidates in the general election, FF especially. They need to hit that number to continue to get exchequer funding for the next Dail term.

They'll be sticking no-hopers in left, right and centre just to bulk the numbers up in certain constituencies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,432 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

She won't be in my constituency so I'll not be voting for her anyway. But I'd hold fire on her suitability until I hear what she has to say. Educated, intelligent and since she was a journalist, she should be well versed in many areas that will be of interest to the electorate.

I do find it interesting that she only flagged her intent when O'Cuiv decided to step down. She could be kiteflying and wait to see which way the wind blows. She was a journalist, so is used to the gig economy. This could be just another gig to her. If she gets it, great. Five years employment and an updated CV after. If not, back to the diamond mine. Not knocking it, as long as she puts the work in, once elected. People have gotten into politics for worse reasons

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭George White

I wonder how being in South Africa has shaped her political views. Isn't her husband a Boerstadt loon?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,465 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Five years employment and an updated CV after

And being available 24*7*365 to answer the call of every Tom, Dick and Harry in the constituency.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭Viscount Aggro

Which husband?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,581 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Jack Lynch was a celebrity candidate for Fianna Fáil and ended up as Taoiseach.

It happens all the time at varying levels of "celebrity", it might help somebody in their first campaign but anything after that will be based on their record.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,342 ✭✭✭alias no.9

Like I said, the v is the distraction, the Ó should be before Cuív

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭kriko124

The woke will love her, she will be the next Mary Robinson wanting Africa and it’s mother and father to relocate to treasure Ireland

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,310 ✭✭✭monseiur

The Labour Party parachuted Orla Guerin (an RTE journalist) in to the Dublin Euro Election back in 1994 against the wishes of the grass root members of the party and their sitting MEP Bernie Malone……it did not end well Malone was re elected. Perhaps there's a lesson there for FF

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,808 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Their is no v in old Irish. 18 letters in total, combined with fadas and sheabhus, as I learned in school.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,310 ✭✭✭monseiur

I read somewhere that there was some controversy about this years ago. It seems the returning officer was adamant that the the ballot paper would read O'Cuiv and Eamon would not accept this for obvious alphabetical reasons. Not sure if there was a full court case at the time but top barristers were involved from both sided. The returning officer had to eat humble pie, young de Valera won the case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,285 ✭✭✭threeball

60 million people voted for a reality TV star who was a complete simpleton in the US elections. We're not the only country who suffers from this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,808 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Name recognition is just one step to getting elected. One must also have other attributes. FF also had Cynthia Ni Murchu in the EU Munster constituency, another was Ciaran Mulllooly, Independent Ireland, Ireland North West Constituency. wouldn't vote for either. Cynthia didn't come across great in any debate and whilst Ciaran is affable, wouldn't support his politics. GS wouldn't be my cup of tea either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,263 ✭✭✭littlevillage

Just remember Fianna Fail sold our nations sovereignty away.... to appease the ECB and cover the debts of professional gamblers.

They should never be allowed into any kind of a government.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭bigroad

She cant be any worse then the current clowns.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,145 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

…we have a history of electing chancers and those that are entitled, theres many more ff governments to come….

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,572 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

The fada is going the wrong way in the title: "Gràinne Seoige in the Dàil?" Should be going the other way.

Is it a far right or a far left fada ?

😁

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,945 ✭✭✭growleaves

But Trump was well-known within the US for his political battles with NY Mayor Ed Koch decades before he became a reality TV star.

It's only people outside the US, like Irish people, who think he started off in television.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,901 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Trump was well know for being Trump.

He used the tabloids to build a persona of wealthy brash playboy billionaire.

Howard Stern made him more famous nationally.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Should she run?

That's up to FF.

Should she be elected?

That's up to the electorate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,581 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

That's not how democracy works (fortunately or unfortunately I guess, depending on your viewpoint)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,411 ✭✭✭Jack Daw

Cynthia Ní Murchú doesn't have much name recognition though.She had one famous television appearance for about 30 seconds 30 years ago and that's it.

Mullooly has been on the news every week for the last 30 years or so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭amacca

nah....shes definitely good but 7 - rising to 7.5 max is about right

There was a spectacular 10/10 one that used to do the weather on tg4 ..remember thinking she must be the lesser known but really good looking seoige (not sile) but I don't think she was related at all....a genuinely naturally spectacularly effortlessly good looking woman

It put grainne in perspective.

I'm ashamed to say I'd probably vote for her she was so good looking....that's how weak minded I am...she could have been a morally bankrupt Monsanto stooge out to poison the water in Galway and **** up the traffic situation even more and she would probably have got my number 1

Grainne would have to put in a bit more effort and convince me her policies were to my benefit!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,822 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

The electorate could be thick enough to elect her, unfortunately.

Rest assured she won’t be the last from the RTE/NKM stable to try to monetize their position.

We have plenty of examples.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,768 ✭✭✭Floppybits

Sure people just voted in an ex Rose of Tralee winner and a Dancing Jockey who didn't say more than 10 words in the election campaign. We deserve everything we get with people voting for these wasters, when there are many more hard working councilors who would do a better job and are more deserving of a vote than these "celebrity" wasters.

Maria Walsh was elected for a second term in June.

Nina Carberry is only in the job since June.

Based on those facts I think it's a bit unfair to write them off as wasters.

They are wasters both of them. Maria Walsh said nothing and did nothing in her previous 5 years there, somehow I don't think that is going to change and as for the dancing jockey, sure she could hardly compose a sentence to answer a question during the campaign I doubt we will see any of her over the next 5 years.

I am sure, now I could be wrong, there are more hardworking deserving people in political parties than those 2 wasters.

You're just doubling down that's not a justification for calling them wasters.

Have you looked up Maria Walsh's record as an MEP ?

Have you considered the fact that the electors in her constituency having assessed her first term thought her worthy of five more years ?

As for Nina Carberry, you don't find her an impressive candidate but she's only elected a wet week and has a full term to prove herself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,822 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Hmmmm….cue Floppy scouring the Stygian records of the European Parliament for contributions from Ms Carberry and Ms Walsh for the next five years………eh…….good look with that bub.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,465 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Someone else mentioned on another thread why "celebrity" candidates are more common in European elections.

This is because the constituencies are so big that it's hard to find existing politicians that would be well known across the length and breathe of them.

So a well known national name works well.

Plus the European Parliament is this obscure thing way over there, it's not as "important" as national politics, so the tendency to elect a non political/celebrity member is greater.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,119 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

The surname was originally spelled Ó Caoimh.

It was changed to Ó Cuiv by Cork journalist Shán Ó Cuív (Éamon's other grandfather), who invented his own simplification of Irish spelling in 1907, known as An Leitriú Shimplí. Under this scheme, the letter v would have been introduced into Irish, so he attempted to promote it via his own name.

There's no set rule, but it's very common for Irish language surnames to be indexed by the main part of the name, not the Ó, Mac, Ní, Nic, etc.

Here's the beginning of the alphabetical listings for surnames starting with the letter C in the Dúchas Project of the National Folklore Collection

https://www.duchas.ie/ga/sloinnte?SearchText=c

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,800 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

I love it if a journalist asked her why she didn't use the huge rent she charged the FAI (basically the taxpayer) to pay the mortgage on her large Wicklow home that has since been repossessed.

An upmarket Violet Ann Wynne.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,716 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Well with Walsh we had an idea of what she was about but for most people the only thing known about Carberry was from Irelands Fittest Family.

She never appeared at all to do a debate and still got elected and i'll bet the house there won't be a peep out of her until the next European election rolls around.

As for Seoige it will be interesting to see how it plays out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,392 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Touche! But she could do well with fans of the Sawdoctors? Joyce Country Ceili Band etc. Joyce Country is a big area.

In fact the name Joyce has far more real cachet out west I'd think. More recognisable than Seoige.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,099 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

I honestly don't think many of these "hard working councillors" who would do a better job in the European Parliament. The job of a county councillor is nothing like the job of an MEP and they operate at different ends of the scale. It's like saying "Tommy has tarred hundreds of driveways, he's well able to build a motorway".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,839 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

Maria Walsh has one term under her belt and has just been re-elected. Her record was clearly considered good enough by the electorate.

Nina Carberry has a successful career in a tough sport behind her as well as an interest in a bloodstock agency.

She obviously has yet to prove herself in the world of politics.

She has been given an opportunity by voters to do so which can't be second guessed. Time will tell.

Grainne Seoige may or may not be elected.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,986 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Is Daithi also considering a run? Diamond Grainne might do something for Galway, extend the races perhaps 😄

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 476 ✭✭ax530

I didn't like the idea of celebratory candidates.

Hope the people of the country select candidates who want to make required improvements to the running of the country. Tax, health and education... Infrastructure...

Enough influencers working hard to 'look good' leave them at it and have TD doing good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,099 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

And Nina Carberry will what?

I'm not saying that Carberry or Seoige or anybody else is great, just the idea that somebody being reelected multiple times as a Councillor automatically means they'd be a better TD or MEP is seriously flawed. Local government in Ireland has no real power and is often about showing your face at many events and shouting about things they have no influence over in the local papers.

In fact, I think it is better to have people who have been successful in other fields and bring with them different experiences rather than just having people from the same political bubbles who have "served their time" and now it's their turn. Look no further than the current Taoiseach for an example of a career politician and a "served their time" appointment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭its_steve116

If Donald Trump could be President of the United States, then anything's possible...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,397 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

If it was Sile I'd vote for her, Grainne always gave off the impression she was an absolute fun sponge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,161 ✭✭✭hoodie6029

The only way a politician will get experience is by doing the job. The electorate give the person a chance by voting for them and they either perform or they don’t. Like any job, the interviewer is taking a risk in hiring the person. An election is no different.
    In the modern era, we have celebrity candidates who are known nationally. It was never any different before. They only people who got elected where well known on their locality through sport, being from a prominent family etc. The medium has changed but the candidate are still the same ilk.

This is water. Inspiring speech by David Foster Wallace https://youtu.be/DCbGM4mqEVw?si=GS5uDvegp6Er1EOG

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭50HX

An election is different & unlike any job as you say you are taking a complete punt in the dark esp with celebrity candidates.

A successful candidate gets chosen for a job based on proven ability & past experience among other things.

I get what you are saying but this vote in the celeb shitshow has to stop

Case in point : Nina Carbery....so out of her depth her party wouldn't even let her give an interview.

She romped home...maybe the people deserve what they get

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭its_steve116

The red tops are saying it's a done deal…

Anyone who is successfully nominated can put their name before the people.

What the people deserve is that the candidates who get the most votes get elected.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,839 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

For credibility sakes I think these celebrities should first get elected as councillors and then prove their bona fides and work ethic. Only then should they be arrogant enough to try national politics. The local elections were only 2 months ago. Our democracy is bad enough without this celebrity nonsense.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,731 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

The party apparatchiks love celebrity candidates, a well known face to parrot off party policy from an autoque. Celebrity Democratic centralism!

🙈🙉🙊

• Advertisement
Advertisement