Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should people over 40 be banned from nightclubs?

• 16-08-2024 5:47pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭

Great piece in today’s examiner from a 20 year old advocating her theory that GenX and Boomer sorts should be banned from nightclubs? What do the the good folks around here think?

I’d say I’d agree with her. Some old sleazebag arriving down into Coppers is totally embarrassing. Maybe maintain a late night venue like House for the missing wedding ring, salmon shirt, loafers and overpowering aftershave crew.

It’s the same with lads still going to music festivals that aren’t for them. Pack it in pal. You had your fun and your MDMA. Bringing some screaming children to the family camping section for a weekend of misery just so you might be able to sneak off with the lads for a naughty joint at around 11 is pretty naff behaviour.

I don’t mind a bit of growing old disgracefully, but there’s something a bit forced about a lot of it. Hitting 40 was a milestone dude. Accept it.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/lifestyle/people/arid-41455432.html

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,778 ✭✭✭Allinall

They're pink shirts.

Only really really old people call it salmon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,097 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

No, but I think anyone born after the millennium should be banned from writing opinion pieces.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭Bobson Dugnutt

Just a fanny hair over 40, pal. However I’m wise enough to know my day was better spent hitting the golf links for a few hours and having a comfortable and relaxed gallon this evening in my local over a weekend spent in a sweaty tent down at EP with folks nearly half my age.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭nice bit of green

I’m going raving next Saturday to the music of my youth, 20-30 years old tunes. The majority of the crowd will be aged 40+, the DJs will be aged 50+.

Cannot wait.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,865 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

I'm on both sides. I'm mid 40' and I banned myself from nightclubs at about 30. i also used to manage nighclubs until about 7 years ago and looking at people in the place my age made me shake my head. However it's not up to us to decide if people that age want to go have a night out. Apparantly this gig had a load of people in their early 20's.

https://www.cyprusavenue.ie/gigs/club-30-an-over-30s-evening-club-11167599

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 691 ✭✭✭Kurooi

Try to persuade the bars and operators to turn down the customers with the most disposable income.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,436 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

They really will give any eejit column space with their brain farts dressed up as journalism these days. She can fk off with her gatekeeping.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭amacca

Yeah....well I don't want to go to your shite fast disappearing nightclubs anyway!

Just know the nightclubs now are a pale shadow of the drunken debauched free for all in my youth you young whelp..

We knew how to drink to the point where most of it ended up outside of us and you couldn't look your friends in the eye the next day

We knew how to have drunken half sex in public places!

We knew what real music sounded like (well most of the time....there was some utter unoriginal shite too)...but we weren't inundated with samples and rehashes of shite that wasn't that great the first time around peddled by algorithms and vacuous "celebrities"

We knew how to actually have a night out and not disappear up our own collective rectums every night and spend precious getting off your face time worrying that there might be uncool sad desperate lovers or over 40 cheating lotharios perving at our best friends sisters.....

We also wouldn't have dreamt of analysing our actions and thinking about things like problem binge drinking preferring instead to get the **** on with it and proceed to the next weekend.

I wouldn’t mind that as much at all. It’s just the slightly more modern version of oldies going to showband nostalgia nights. That said, I always found “sesh heads” to be very tedious. They made taking ecstasy in some sweaty box in Galway a far too fundamental part of their personality.

• Registered Users Posts: 884 ✭✭✭DarkJager21

I hope she is forced to read that when she turns 40, the cringe will devour her soul.

**** Gen Z.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,422 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

OP routinely trying to dictate how people should live and enjoy stuff. Weird to be honest, very weird.

Just do your own thing, if you enjoy it, do it again. normal people are going to do what they enjoy regardless. Live and let live.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,253 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

I’d suggest that golf is a more age appropriate and indeed popular activity amongst people in their early to mid 40’s than hanging around in a sweaty tent drinking warm lager and pretending to be down with the lingo of the 20 years old camping beside you while secretly hoping they will go to sleep before 2am as you’ve pencilled in the 11am Bljndboy and McWilliams show down at the podcast tent the next day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,253 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

It's ok. I get it. Kinda posted to wind you up. 😁 I'm terrible - trying to rattle cages.

• Registered Users Posts: 884 ✭✭✭DarkJager21

Ooh don't do that to a Gen Z guy, he might get "triggered" and have to locate his nearest safe space for a good cry 🤣

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,274 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

A pointless discussion. There are basically no nightclubs left. When I was fighting off the nation's most beautiful women in the mid 1990s, there were 650 licenced across the land.

Now there are only 70. And many of those are more correctly described as Superpubs and mixed use venues.

And anytime I do go to a party or club night of any sort, the only ones I see dancing are the people in their 40s and 50s. The younger ones are buried in their phones and sneaking vodka they brought with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭etuzyuk

I'd imagine over 21 limit is because clubs don't want to be dealing with people who can't handle their drink, don't spend money and give security staff too many problems.

After that, birds of a feather usually flock together. If a club knowingly caters for more mature clientele, and you are super sensitive to this, I don't know, maybe go somewhere else.

It's rare you read a piece that kills so many brain cells.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,231 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

It's awful to see those forty something women at that carry on. But they are not very good at golf, so they need some outlet I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭Burt Renaults

It reads like the kind of thing a 20 year old journalism student might write.

Which, I presume, is exactly what it is. As a middle-aged man, I'd be embarrassed if I saw the kind of thing I was saying >20 years ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,380 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

• Advertisement

The negative impact of women taking up golf on the length of time to complete a round and overall enjoyment is a very serious and sensitive matter, and maybe best left to another thread. 🪡

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭nomdeboardie

(Gave up trying to insert as embedded vid, or even link…)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iYgPznBrjiA&t=60s

• Registered Users Posts: 3,865 ✭✭✭Greyfox

Great piece? It's gutter journalism at its worse with a dash of discrimination. In any case the bouncers already get to decide who they let in.

Gutter journalism? It’s a light-hearted opinion piece written by a young adult. Chill out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,422 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Maybe old men should be forbidden from reading the musings of a young writer trying to get attention by being edgy. Wholly the wrong way to become a good writer but maybe they’ll figure what good writing is or else it’s the golf course fir them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 107 ✭✭L Grey

I feel like a 21 year old.

But there is never one around.

Just an old vaudeville joke from my twenties.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,799 ✭✭✭SteM

So the author is a 20 year old that keeps trying to get into clubs that are 21s by flirting badly with bouncers, and hates the idea that there would be 18 year olds and over 40 year olds in the same place? Does she have any other dislikes? No people with blonde hair or people called Tom maybe?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,769 ✭✭✭LambshankRedemption

• Registered Users Posts: 3,865 ✭✭✭Greyfox

No I won't, its gutter journalism that hurts brain cells and It's also hinting at discrimination.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,723 ✭✭✭Trampas

Them 20’s year olds know what a nightclub is compared the 90’s. Are we going dancing tonight. You could be in a nightclub half the week. It’s just disco bars the last times I went out. No phones or just starting to come out and just the odd sms that cost 20p or something like that never mind a call. 80p a minute?

Drink promotion nights £1/2 a drink and none of this selfie crap and put it up on what social media that’s everyone is on this year to see how many likes they can get

Advertisement