Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hamas strike on Israel - Threadbans in op - mod warning in OP updated 19/10/23

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,715 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

She's terrible, a real disaster of a politician.

Clearly not…

There's a really strong far left and East African vote in her area

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,036 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Fair play Simon Harris -

https://www.rte.ie/news/2024/0815/1465066-middle-east/

Taoiseach Simon Harris said the figure is a "milestone the world must be ashamed of".

In a post on X, he said diplomacy has failed to "protect innocent children".

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭Fuascailteoir

A total of 2,100 Palestinian toddlers/infants have now been murdered by Israel since last October. Many more are missing. That is some grim statistic and one that the state of Israel will never live down. Grotesque

• Registered Users Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

I don't know if it is that salient (?), as said think it is something that has been talked about repeatedly.

Time passes and nothing much seems to change for the better in the US though. If anything, the influence of these wealthy interests on politics increases.

On the other 2 paragraphs, sorry I would not really agree with them (!) but getting into all that would drag thread far off topic probably.

• Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭sock.rocker*

Had a proper friendship-ending falling out with my American friend over this. The only point I made after he brought up the topic was "You cannot bomb an entire country's population because rockets are coming from there.". He flipped out and argued that you can and should because it's the people's fault for not overthrowing Hamas, then he called me a Hamas supporter, brought up de Valera and Hitler, and said Irish people are "always like this".

The things he said to justify Israel's actions made me realise he's on the far far far right of Israel's politics. It seems to be his vessel for some intense Islamophobia he has going on. Like following Israel lets him cheer the deaths of Muslims in a righteous way with a lot of support from whatever communities he's in.

Our partners want us to get over it but I don't think I want to. His views are more inhumane than the worst of the worst in this thread. At least on boards, people are afraid of a ban. He just let loose and it was vile.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,249 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Double post

That means a minimum of 1.6% of the population have been killed. And that's just a minimum. When you think of the bodies that haven't been found. the people dying of disease and hunger, from lack of medical care for other conditions etc…the figure is going to be far higher. I saw a figure of 180,000 quoted. If it actually went that high, that would be about 7% of the population killed. And that's just deaths. That's not including all the people who are injured.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,063 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

I had a similar falling out with some friends not too long ago over another contentious political issue that I won't get into on here.

Suffice to say, I now do my best to veer away from that subject, as well as anything Israel/Gaza related when in company. It's actually crazy how rabid some people can get on the topic.

There really is no point ending friendships over political issues you both have zero influence on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,318 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

Israeli Settlers engaging in more ethnic cleansing in the West Bank.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭WEST

Yet people still are 'pro Israel' like it is a football team. At least most people in Ireland see Israel as it is, a terrorist state. Hopfully other counties like the UK, France etcs will start to distance themselves from Israel. I'm not sure if the USA support will ever end, but I'm hopeful support will wain once the younger generation start to have a greater say in a decade or two (if they can avoid fox news).

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭Balagan1

So, Israel's a terrorist State now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,318 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

People who are that way in inclined will always used October 7th or Hamas as their reasoning for the IDF's continued annihilation of civilians inside Gaza. It's like some kind of comfort blanket that they can wrap themselves and convince themselves that Israel are in the morally correct position.

No such comfort blanket exists for what the settlers are doing in the West Bank. Nobody ever tries to justify it. Nobody tries to justify the IDF for being complicit in offering backup to these pogroms carried out by violent lunatics. Nobody tries to justify their continuing theft of internationally recognised Palestinian land to build more illegal settlements. Everybody knows that it's wrong.

That's why you won't hear a peep out of them about it. They won't try and justify it because they cannot justify it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,889 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Actually they do. We had Peggy justifying it on the basis that it was required for Israel 's defense. I see it regularly on the you tube comment section. You'll see excuses along the following lines: the land is theirs anyway; There is no such thing as Palestine;

All Palestinians are Hamas terrorists.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭WEST

So far during August, we have the below reports from BBC. In many other videos we can see the IDF (who act on behalf of Israel) protecting the settlers while they attack\kill Palestinians and damage their property. Israel are doing these acts of terror and it is all caught on camera for the world to see. Swap, the words Israeli and Palestinian in the below headings to get the other sides perspective.

https://www.bbc.com/news/articles/c623zkwd04qo

https://www.bbc.com/news/articles/cd735zvg1q9o Israeli soldiers stated they had “encountered armed terrorists” and that “a customs officer Abdel Nasser was killed during exchanges of fire”. However, CCTV footage shows that this statement is false. Instead, Abdel Nasser was murdered in cold blood.

https://www.bbc.com/news/articles/cvgrr0k7xkyo

Also from June, Israeli army strapped wounded Palestinian to military vehicle.
    https://www.bbc.com/news/articles/cjqq5n8911do

It sure is. Indiscriminate shootings and bombings just like the terrorist group Hamas is. Israel is actually worse because it has US support and can get away with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭thereiver

Hamas has said it does not want to meet and discuss a cease fire meanwhile causalitys in gaza are over 40k .Biden is going to be retired in a few months There's not much chance of America doing much about the crisis before the presidential election Iran and other groups have been meeting to decide what action to take in regard to attacking Israel so the outlook

at the moment is bleak . I think America is a democratic society but various politicians support Israel and Israel relys on a large supply of weapons from America there's only a small percent difference in the polls between trump and Harris so there's no sign of a change in policy at the moment in regard to the war in gaza

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭PeggyShippen

There's been no 2,100 toddlers 'murdered' in Gaza. Thats a war zone and its terrible that theyve been killed from bombs ect. But not even Hamas are screaming they were murdered because they havent.

There was toddlers actually coldly 'murdered ' in Israel on October 7th in kindergartens and homes.. Shot and bashed and broken by Palestinians.

Support 🇮🇱 Israel

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,715 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

by your same logic October 7 was an act of war and they weren’t murdered.

No . You're completely wrong. For murder there has to be some sort of 'intent'. Babies , kids civilians get killed in wars . It's sad. It's still not murder. Check out the Geneva convention. What happened on October 7th was murder..plain and simple. Wanton murder, rape and burning. But you know all this.

Support 🇮🇱 Israel

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,691 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

The Geneva convention that protects hospitals,schools and places of worship? Places that Israel has bombed to smithereens and in the knowledge that Israel has been sketchy with being able to prove they had any reliable proof of them being legitimate targets.

And sure, if there were no concerns ,there would be no warrant out for Netanyahu, and there would be nothing in front of the ICJ regarding Israel's conduct m

But here it is, Israel apologise, dead children are collateral damage. An argument t that was decisively eviscerated months ago on here.

And there are plenty of elected Israeli officials who have gone on the record in saying everyone in Gaza is a target.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,872 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

Sure if Hamas screamed they were murdered, people defending the IDF would just say it's Hamas, you can't believe them.

Dropping a 2000lb bomb onto an apartment block with complete disregard for civilian casualties is murder. No different than a gunman opening fire on a crowd of people with the aim to hit 1 target but kills a dozen innocent people.

Yes civilians do get killed in war, but when one side is being investigated for genocide (shows intent) it's very hard to play the self defense or 'collateral damage' card.

When a country is deliberately committing war crimes and targeting and destroying civilian infrastructure (university and water pumping station) which have zero military goals and zero terrorists in them, you can't just turn around and say they don't target civilians.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

I really wish you`d stop defending Israel and the IDF - Its getting tiresome listening to you.

There were 2 toddlers killed on the 8th October and 14 children under 10 - by your own logic they werent murdered as this conflict has been going on for decades.They were casualties of war.

Just because Israel says its at war doesnt justify Israel killing (murdering) 2100 children never mind 40,000 Palestinians.

Both sides are equally as scummy as the other - the only difference is Israel has the backing of the US so is free to bomb schools, hospitals, refugee camps with 2000 kg bombs without any repercussions - so called "precision strikes" - pull the other one - they know exactly what they are doing and who they are bombing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,889 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Yes . We would see the hypocrisy on full display from the apologists if a 2,000 pound bomb was dropped on a Tel Aviv suburb with the disclaimer that the target was a military facility; therefore there was no intent to kill civilians

• Registered Users Posts: 45,617 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

I'm fully expecting some sort of ceasefire in place for US election time. When the election is over it could kick off again. Hopefully not.

Bizarre Post really bizarre but emblematic of many in Ireland. No where in my logic can you garner succour for your 2nd paragraph. You know that.

A 2000lb bomb dropped on an apartment block containing a terrorist cell planning murder which results in the deaths of civilians including children isn't necessarily illegal nor murder in the 'Laws of War'. That's a fact.

Killing and raping defenceless civilians and kids by stabbing...shooting and burning. That my left wing friends is murder. Murder condoned by many in the general population in Gaza and the West Bank unfortunately . 80%. Id say if you took a poll in Dublin tomorrow.. there'dbe a fair percentage of educated people that would say 'Yes October 7th was justified '. That's what our media and education system has done to people.. turned them into left wing extremists..hostile to Judeo western culture yet living and benefiting from that amazing culture. Sad stuff.

Support 🇮🇱 Israel

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,456 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

The IDF drop bombs on family homes to kill people they (using AI) have identified as Hamas members as they return home. They do this and wipe out any civilians in the building and surrounding houses

('Wheres daddy')

If Hamas blew up residential houses because an enlisted member of the IDF came home from work, that would be rightly described as terrorism

When the IRA blew up pubs full of civilians because there were some English military or RUC officers drinking in them, that was terrorism

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Actually dropping a 2000lb bomb to kill one person is completely against the "Laws of war" which is what Israel is doing on a daily basis. If it wasnt against the "Laws of war" then there would be no talk of an arrest warrant being requested for the leaders of Israel - but then again Israel doesnt recognize the ICC which is another cop out.

Israel are just killing with impunity and they know they can get away with it. Disproportionate killing of civilians , committing genocide as long as this war goes on.

Ive been to Israel and Palestine and while you may assume that 80% of the population might think the 8th of October was justified Id be of the opinion that while it wasnt justified I can understand why it happened. Palestine is the biggest open air prison in the world - for example while we were there there was a couple of minor rocket attacks on Israel - the israelis turned off the water and power to Palestine for 2 weeks. This type of stuff is just breeding more Hamas and Hezbollah fighters. As will this war - Israel has stated that the reason for this war is to wipe out Hamas - Id argue that they are just going to increase its numbers and so the cycle goes on and on forever.

A two state solution is the only solution to the problems in the region.

Proportionality

It is prohibited to launch an attack which may be expected to cause incidental loss of civilian life, injury to civilians, damage to civilian objects, or a combination thereof, which would be excessive in relation to the concrete and direct military advantage anticipated.

That 'proportionality' paragraph is one I'd be personally familiar with. It's an area that can be difficult to interpret really . If a planner was in the last stages of planning an ambush then it could reasonably be argued that him, his family and house can be destroyed to prevent loss of life in his enemy. It's all alot more complicated than 'killing babies' in a bombing raid = murder. It doesn't.

Iv been to Israel and the West Bank many times. From Nablus to Eilat ...north to south...east to West. If people were dropping an 'occasional' rocket near my family I'd be advocating alot tougher action than the Israelis have. I'd say alot of Irish people would find that occasional rocket amd run to a bomb shelter an outrageous occurance.

A word on the ICC. It's a biased joke of an organisation. The UN is the same.. All these international organisations are packed up the rafters with lefties ,greens and worse. They are no use.

Support 🇮🇱 Israel

• Advertisement

Show me the where the bombings in Gaza had no intent to murder innocents? If you drop a 2,000 bomb on a densely populated area then it's definitely murder. Especially when those innocents are living in tents. No other word for it.

Advertisement