Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycling Ireland 2024 road calendar

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,812 ✭✭✭✭dahat

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,922 ✭✭✭wav1

2 great days racing at Drogheda Wheelers weekend. Thanks to everyone riders and officials. See ya all next year

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭seamusk84

Very well organised, kudos to the marshalls. Some speed in the combined A3/A4 this AM.

Couldn't stick with the lead group longer than 3 laps, but a good finish. Cheers.

The amount of riders with jumping chains, gears & wrong gear selection today in the A3 Tuam GP. Things like this are a relatively easy fix & cause serious crashes if ignored.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,569 ✭✭✭harringtonp

• Advertisement

Weather was okay. One or two dirty showers which actually made parts of the course “fun”.

A3 race had about 40 maybe within the A1/2 race similar. Didn’t see any of the A4 race.

It’s a smashing circuit & bad weather makes it even better.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,569 ✭✭✭harringtonp

Last time I did it, it was torrential. Think that was 2 years ago. Still a fun day out and felt surprisingly safe for the conditions

Galway Classic.

What are equipment requirements for this?
    Full on gravel spec?
    28mm clinchers tyres sufficent or is tubeless a must?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,036 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Nah, loads get away with regular tyres and their race bikes. I'd say 32s and tubeless is recommended but you'll easily get away with 28s and tubed, just slightly more risky. They used to have a follow car with spare wheels but I'd check if that's the case as it was pre COVID the last time I done it.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Foxmoves

I did it on a normal road bike with 28s… just need a bit of luck, and good positioning early on.

Double bar tape or decent pair of mits or hard tough hands!

It is a good experience all round though as something different.

• Advertisement

Have to say it was one of my favourite races, really annoyed I am out of it with a shoulder injury this year so won't make this or the gravel championships. Just great to see clubs trying something different. My only tip for @dahat is if you are there early take a spin around the route, try and be ready for the surface changes as that seemed to catch a few riders out.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Mapaputsi

Saw on Facebook that they've had to pull the A1 race from the Galway classic due to 4 (four) entries.

What a shame, that is one of those races that they could build to become one of the Irish 'monuments' along with the likes of the Des Hanlon, Shay Elliot etc. It's a cracking race. Think the organisers may have made a bit of a mistake bringing a couple of UK teams in last year, but without them I don't think it would have gone ahead either. Bad time of year too, bank holiday and summer holidays for us auld lads with kids.

I haven't been able to race this year, but numbers seem to continue to dwindle. Hopefully when I come back to the scene in the next year or two I'll still have some local league and open races to go to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,596 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

Challenge CC have cancelled their perpetual cup races on August 18th.

Not many races left now till hibernation

Yeah a pity that one was cancelled as is always a good chance to get a result for me.

Dahat new A2 congrats

For a little while, will downgrade again next season 😂😂😂😂.

All the same nice to get a decent result eventually.

You wouldn't know.

If the categories are reduced from four to three as mooted already who knows what way the downgrades (or not) are going to work.

Grading of masters & junior riders wasn’t clear within the document so for sure interesting times ahead when the new system is implemented.

As it stands I’d have been C2 even before Sunday as 11pts was the upper scale of A3 riders.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 751 ✭✭✭Arthurdaly

The leinster champs which was 1st September has dropped off the calendar, anyone know if it is cancelled?

It was listed as Dublin so looks like it was never going to be traders cup in the first place and possibly hoping to get another club to host?

To the best of my knowledge up to yesterday there is still no promoter for the Leinster Championships.

Munster and Ulster are good to go but nothing boxed off for Leinster or Connaght yet.Dundalk have promoted them for years but not this year.Traders Cup as a stand alone event doesn't appear to be happening either. As per the regulations all the provincial Championships have to take place on the same weekend or probably won't happen.I would like to see them run.

• Advertisement

Best of luck getting it off the ground this late.

Locally the Tipp Championships didn’t take place this year due to delay after delay or little contact to queries sent to CI for approval, a very frustrating process seemingly.

I don't think they have to be the same weekend, but if you take part in one, you cannot ride in any other that year, so having them the same weekend made sense.

They do have to be same weekend for about past 5 years or so.

Fair enough, it's not in the tech regs, just that you can't race more than 1.

Wexford Crit League Round 2 on tonight at half six for underage riders and 7pm for seniors. Free for youths, no license required, Seniors are €5, minimum LC license, route here: https://www.strava.com/routes/3261272834335388608

Charleville 2 Day struggling for two numbers which is a pity, hopefully they get the numbers to go ahead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,596 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

So no Leinster championships? I'd be spit out the back pretty quick but was gonna give it a go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 280 ✭✭this.lad

Didn't see this advertised anywhere. How many weeks does it run?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 573 ✭✭✭ottolwinner

Does anyone have an idea how many races were cancelled this year? Seems to have increased significantly if I’m not mistaken.

• Advertisement

Next week is Round 3, senior race only and the week after is the Wexford Crit Champs 2024, and that is it

Advertisement