Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should people over 40 be banned from nightclubs?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭ledwithhedwith

I’d be too lazy for music festivals and nightclubs and I’m in my early 30s but don’t see why old people can’t go to them, lots go for the actual music. Glastonbury on bbc the crowd average looked 40.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,575 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

WHat about the Millenials?

WON'T SOMEONE PLEASE THINK ABOUT THE MILLENIALS...??

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,584 ✭✭✭✭fits

I was shopping for school stationary this afternoon and thinking of how my life has changed not wrestling with a tent in stradbally. Don’t feel like I’m missing out. Maybe I’ll go back when the lads are older and I’m disgraceful. Ban me away from the nightclubs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,863 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

**** your one in the Examiner. I'll see her ageism and raise her 40 year olds having the craic. And from experience over 40's are far less likely to start fighting and being dickheads in general.

https://www.independent.co.uk/voices/dance-ageing-adulthood-school-disco-generation-x-iranian-a9364866.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,448 ✭✭✭Tork

I assume The Examiner hired this young one to rile up anybody over the age of 25 and generate clicks? I heard her on Pat Kenny's show not too long ago going on about how "her generation" is too anxious to make or take phone calls. She wouldn't survive the ordeal of being in the nightclubs we frequented back in the day. She'd be whinging about the sugar content in the Blue WKD and weeping because someone moved their hand to somewhere she didn't like without her consent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,121 ✭✭✭Bobson Dugnutt

Ah ya, the good old days of alcopops and sexual harassment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

Fado fado when I was you and going to night clubs the only over 40s tended to be alcos who couldn't get a drink anywhere else.

The article has the bang of a cable of good-looking females in their early 20s who think they are as cool as ****, laughing at the aul lad in his 40s who is trying to chat them up and they cant believe he thinks someone like them would be interested in him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭amacca

I vaguely remember that thing about not making or taking phonecalls....such a waste of airtime

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,436 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Funny to see someone from Gen Woke discriminating based on age.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,448 ✭✭✭Tork

Those auld lads were a fixture in nightclubs when I was in my twenties. Me and my friends always gave them a wide berth and saw them as nothing more than pathetic letches who thought they still had it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,531 ✭✭✭Heroditas

People still wear suits in offices? Yeah right...

Maybe she should introduce herself the bouncers using her preferred pronouns and she might get in easier

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭nachouser

It kinda reminds me of how we'd try to get into The Hairy Lemon when we were 17. Wait for the bouncer to have a smoke and get chatting to someone in the queue and then dodge your way in the door. She's doing it wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Apothic_Red

I'm 50 & I cringe when I hear people talking about the joys of Electric Picnic.

Talking about an event area called the Salted Dog & Love Town etc. makes it sound like a liberal cult of wall to wall Paul Murphys in Pride t-shirts waving Palestinian flags. That's how I picture it anyway.

I love it when it's a washout . . . I'm sick like that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,396 ✭✭✭corner of hells

And not a mobile phone in sight to record any carry on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭sprucemoose

better them actually playing than trying to drive the golf cart i guess

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,433 ✭✭✭✭noodler

God that is the stupidest article I've read in a mainstream Irish broadsheet.

The self importance. I can't fathom it.

The people that are using her know that too...I bet it gets the hate clicks in spades!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

That's very true she is being used but she might be aware and doesn't care after all she's getting the jump in to media ahead of everyone else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 688 ✭✭✭taxAHcruel

night clubs and weddings are one of the places we actually shine in our old age. Dont take them away from us!

Tbh I think you are too young at that age to fully understand the possible consequences or how your feelings might change as you get a bit more mature/intelligence develops a bit.....that jump could have a price she might not want to have to pay as an older adult

It is fairly inane forgettable moronic drivel though ...if you have a thick skin you'd probably not give it a second thought....although if you wanted to be regarded as a ...I don't know thinker/thought leader, respected commentator etc it might be a bit of an embarassment that's now permanently out there attributed to you.

I'm glad some of the diahorrea I might have written (possibly still do) as a much younger person hopefully won't be attributed to me now!

• Advertisement

The Nightclubs are slowly disappearing anyway..... without gen z wanting you booted out!

Hard for them to make sense financially the way things are going...

Tbh it's the same with a lot of bricks&mortar businesses in towns/cities

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭BalcombeSt4

No, I personally don't go to raves or clubs anymore, the last time was a decade ago, I'm in my late 30's now, but when I was going out between 18 - 27/28 most of the DJ's headlining events, especially James Devlin's "Devotion" & Senan Shortt's "Energizer" promotions were usually all over 40, people like Mr. Spring, Mark Kavanagh, Warren K, Ed Case, Pressure, UFO, Thyme etc… they have the experience of running different clubs & know what works best better than people in their 20s.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭hamburgham

• Registered Users Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭Dick phelan

Journalist really is a dying profession. Imagine paying for university and writing that absolute shite.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,864 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Hold up...

Some 20yo Zoomer who is precluded from over 21 premises,which most nightclubs are! is complaining that Gen X'ers are too old for night clubs🤨

How the fúck can a Zoomer afford to go to a nightclub? If she isn't a trust fund baby or a sugar baby, who's buying her Smirnoff ice then?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,677 ✭✭✭dasdog

There were a few hippy types in the 90's well in to their 40's that used to frequent the decent nightclubs in Dublin. Not only were they welcome, they were celebrated and some would be as off their chops as the rest of us at 3am. Free spirit types.

I haven't been to a nightclub in years - I hate the controlled environment after being to raves where there are no bouncers/security/tickets/formal organisation - but I still go to lots of music events and you see all ages from all walks of life which is absolutely brilliant.

Judgemental people are always going to be judgemental.

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭ledwithhedwith

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 688 ✭✭✭taxAHcruel

can anyone do the footsie anymore anyway? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Mister Baddog

Oh god yes they should be banned. (I'm 65 and know whereof I speak 😇)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭laoismanj

Personally at 35 and a father of 3, the idea of a music festival or a nightclub is what I imagine the gates of hell to be, however when i was 18-21..did I give a fawk if there was over 40s in the noise chambers I was in? Nope! Did we judge them? Nope, I was too shitfaced to care, we all grow up, those who dont...well its a tragic sight

Advertisement