Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dairy Chitchat 4, an udder new thread.

1807808809810811813»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13 dairyedge

Which one of these faults did you get locked up on? The department are a joke. They can leave you looking at reactors for a month after a failed test but can send you out a half inch of paper work to look at within 2 of their working days. Where only keeping people in employment. This dumping milk is another joke. Do the Co op’s do a milk recall when you get the results of the tb blood result's back? Nothing but phone calls and letters you get afterwards. When you get out the calculator the money you get back for reactors is a slap on the face.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭green daries

Absolutely and we'll said .the **** that's been spouted on here the last few days makes the resident troll look half normal. The department do not care about eradicating tb plain and simple do not pass go on that statement. There's no possible way to make a reasonable argument against them not wanting it gone. If they wanted to rid the country of tb it would have been done 40 +years ago ....and if eradicating didn't work we would all be vaccinating for it . There's no restrictions on people leaving the country as an export and 90%of the country was vaccinated for tb at some point.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,220 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

The way we look at it is we have to feed ration and probaly silage anyway so its really only usually a case of when you going to feed it .I thing I hate is letting them out at night and bringing them back in .pointless work but I do my level best to get them out every day

Iagreewith the ration and silage point ,but the extra work to get grass into cows in spring is not pointless work.its definitely thankless work but it's nevertheless necessary if your going to knock milk out of cow's (in a half normal year)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

I agree

I put a good bit of work in to it here and can definitely see the benefits of it after this year. They didn’t get out as much in the spring and it really hampered milk production. Now I probably should have more better quality silage on hand but it still shows the benefit of spring grass if the weather is favourable

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,001 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

U save alot on silage getting them out early and also their health and feet. Triggers grass growth also

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭grass10

Factory lesion showed up on purchased in animal I never had a reactor before dept tell me that since that animal was purchased by me the other herd had a big no of reactors in comrade animals in that herd these things happen nothing I can do about it but I've had a lot of hassle with having to do 4 month test with a couple of years because of a number of dairy herds near me that constantly go down with tb very obvious animal welfare issues and yet they do nothing to improve their chances of not going down with tb again and by some posters reactions here it's obvious we're all in for a lot more tb going forward I spoke to a lad lately that had the bug in his herd he blamed just about everyone he could think of as to why his animals had tb from the meat factory,the vets, neighbours, contractors brought it in their machinery, wildlife, ai company etc and at the same time was boasting about the live valuation he got, milk compensation he got etc and was now regretting that more cows didn't go as he had lots of heifers coming in but I'll probably be criticised for telling the truth

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭Sheep breeder

What’s the beer like to night with the lads on the bar stool. I have yet to meet any farmer that is happy to have TB in their herd and also wake up there is no financial gain out of TB and that is a fact.

WWe All should have nearly everything better no matter what setups we have but once you're trying and improving each year (apart from this year. This year can go fook itself). Things will come together eventually..... or at least that's what I'm banking on.... 35 years later 😄😁

He got no compensation for his milk ...none zilch Nada zero no reddies. Etc etc he's been taking the mick out of you

• Advertisement

It's called monthly income supplement for dairy herds which obviously he called milk compensation also for winter months you can get fodder compensation please have your facts correct

I am only quoting what some people who cannot add talk about on a daily basis

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭Jack98

I’m sure this hypothetical figure was delighted with the €55 per cow a month they got, seems like a no brainer to want more cows to go down. Good God.

Ohhh I do I've had tb my uncles have had tb my illiterate neighbours had tb (two smart men but neither can read or write beyond a signature .... my wife thoughtone to sign his name ). My wife reads over their paperwork for them they don't acknowledge it to me at all.😃

Anyway i know all there is to know ...an I know you're being sold a pig in a bag. You'll get 4 monthlymax payments of 250 euros that's a total amount of 1000 euros if you lost enough stock you would also get it as for a silage supplement ....if you can qualify for something like that from the department then your In seriously deep doo doo.

Advertisement