Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

National Broadband Ireland : implementation and progress

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,045 ✭✭✭✭listermint

cables and black boxes dont mean much, ours went in. We are still scheduled next summer start for lines to home. So your guide date is still the most accurate

he says this, has wireline out up the road again today. Checks nbp status there now and it's August 24 connection. Meant to be Q4 2025. It was 3 weeks ago…. !

happy days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 828 ✭✭✭ArrBee

So there was poles replaced last year around area. A line man appeared on his own last week and was throwing up cable holders on various random poles. And then today some groundwork guys turned up digging some side ditches up the road with roles of underground cable ducting.

hence I checked again and the dates were moved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 828 ✭✭✭ArrBee

cool. so I could be 1 year away-ish

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,249 ✭✭✭✭L1011

"survey complete" for my rock in the North Atlantic now. I did notice a plate with "D" on it has been affixed to the nearest openeir pole. Anyone any idea if that actually is NBI related?

Still saying June-July 25; when this was originally meant to be December 2022; but at least something has started.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,325 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Apparently they are working hard in our area to implement but wait for it - Dec 2026.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,973 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

I think I'll have to go over to the Trivial things that annoy you thread and add that phase

"we are working hard"

to a list of things that annoy me.

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,586 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

"D" refers to a defective pole that will be replaced in due course. Probably part of the prep work being carried out by OpenEir in support of the NBI rollout .

Our exchange area was surveyed prior to OpenEir's rural fibre rollout some years ago. This included mapping every pole in the area on to a database, marking defective poles for replacement etc. Those poles were replaced within 6-9 months iirc.

We're also 2026, but I'm already seeing some prep work being done around our area, installation of ducting for NBI. Our area has gone Network Build Underway.

They have said previously that rollout could exceed targets post COVID, so hoping for 2025

Post edited by The Cush on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,249 ✭✭✭✭L1011

It is rather defective, as its thown its guy wire - but it also no longer has any subscribers on it (they've all died; new occupants use mobile, and my house never even had a landline) so they didn't seem to concerned when I phoned up to tell them that a few years ago.

They now have a reason to replace it, the annual rental charge NBI will pay them for carrying the fibre cable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭ItHurtsWhenIP

No change on my update … still build in progress … July 2025-December 2025 … Hollyford DA.

There was a crew along my road earlier this year doing lots of hedge trimming around the poles and older poles had been replaced. I occasionally see an NBI van pulled up in the village, but never up to much from what I can tell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭clohamon

NBI is preparing to head down the Gap of Dunloe (using wireless backhaul it seems).

Bad news for offliners like Kenneth who was happy to get a 'time out' at the Colleen Bawn Cottage.

It's unbelievable - they are more focused on providing services to touristy area with small resident populations and areas with holiday houses than to large swathes of well populated rural areas with resident population.

In our area NBI will be coming 20k out for 4 houses, missed by eir (by 400m the %&*&^%$) two are holiday homes occupied for no more than a month a year and there are two fully occupied houses that will take it up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭clohamon

As far as I can tell all density types are progressing in roughly equal step. Granted most would like the queue to be moving quicker. The roll-out is currently on schedule in absolute numbers - i.e. all of the original 537k should be passed by Jan 2027 at current rate of progress.

thats not really accurate at all tbh, And the plan seems to be going along perfectly. Im not connected yet but i can already see this is possibly the best implemenation of a project at scale in the history of the state. If we could get the project team who rolled this out do lash out all our state projects the country would be in a better condition infrastructurally. And probable save a fortune.

I can count 7 customers within a short distance from us who would take it up (families and those working from home) and a few more that mightn't take it up. Most rural roads around here are much the same. But then we see NBI making a great play of delivering fixed lines down boreens in Mayo to the odd possible citizen in their 90s. I'm all for fair distribution of services but surely they have access to census and population stats that would direct them to work on rural regions most populated first? Not so good PR but more useful. Thanks is I can say to the mobile providers who have made an effort because without their usually passable service, most of us wouldn't have a hope of even doing normal things online like basic email.

Not even any mobile coverage home here :-( Starlink has been the BIG gamechanger.

• Advertisement

for every one of u, there are other larger portions of population that got service before you. Its not as linear as you make out, its a heavily managed program with numerous nuances of whats easier to delivery and resource in a planned way. You are making this totally about your own personal location and 1 rollout region, negating all of the delivery milestones theyve hit…

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,317 ✭✭✭rob808

Thanks to NBI I have no fibre broadband while digging up the road laying down there own fibre broadband.

The donuts damage EIR fibre broadband cable and now few people including myself have no broadband.I have to wait for a Eir Engineer to come out and fix it they said 2 days.

They just go off damage what ever they like and don't have to fix it. Madness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,514 ✭✭✭irishgeo

They aren't allowed fix someone else cable but will probably be billed for the repairs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,317 ✭✭✭rob808

They didn't even care which was the annoying part saying they did notting when clearly they did damage.

There notting you can even do will EIR compensate me if my broadband off for a week or more because of NBI.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 699 ✭✭✭jmorrisey

Over a month later and nothing happening at all..NBI say when they raised ticket with Vodafone on our behalf, Vodafone said they're waiting on openeir to Install two poles and have no idea when that will happen. NBI agent said openeir are a disaster to deal with regarding getting accurate info/timelines. It's been nearly two months since initially signed up to Vodafone now (after being told the house was ready to be connected by NBI)

• Registered Users Posts: 2 SimonKelley

I have a quick question for those who've had NBI installed. Does NBI feed the fibre into the house bare and then add the connector which plugs into the ONT onto the end, or does the route into the house have to be large enough to pass the connector through? I'm preparing for installation and I've run an external cat 5e cable from the planned ONT location to where my router/access point is. The hole through the wall will also serve to get the fibre to the ONT into the house, but the only drill bit I had which is long enough to get through the wall gives a hole about 8mm dia. Plenty big enough to get another cable through, but not a fibre connector.

Many fibre networks seem to use a system where the incoming fibre is terminated in an external box which houses a coil of spare fibre and a coupler which connects the fibre to a pre-terminated patch cable which goes through the wall. If NBI uses that scheme, I'm going to need a bigger drill bit.

While I'm here, what is the experience on time taken to get extra poles set? I'm in the Aughrim DA and we're supposed to be going live anytime between now and October. My house is a good way from the road, and I estimate that there will need to be three poles set in the intervening fields to get the fibre to me. Is that likely to massively delay things? I've agreed a plan on where we'd like the run to go with my neighbour who owns the land, so getting permission from him won't be a problem as long as NBI agree to our route.

Cheers,

Simon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,829 ✭✭✭shmeee

Just the fibre cable feed into house and then connectors and ONT added when in. My install was via NBI with KNCricet.

My lad literally had the fibre cable tapped to a hammer which was launched over the trees and ditches! And then he came in through the eaves in the house into the attic and down into the office. ONT placed on wall in corner of the office and fibre cable connected in. Grand and simple process and the lad doing it made it easier as he was sound out.

I had to get an extra pole installed, timeframe was FTTH order 1st December 2023, installed and active middle of March 2023. The site needed to be surveyed and then a team came to install the pole. And then KNCricet came back and did install, they came the first day in Jan, and just had a look as they had to refer it on for survey and pole install - was a pointless appointment as told them over the phone I needed a pole anyway.

And in relation to the location of the poles, they just told me the most direct line - so could be an issue if want to go zig-zag etc in a field. Was no problem where the pole went for me, the farmer did not care.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 SimonKelley

Thanks for that. Looks like my access hole will work. Hope I can get the poles in a bit faster; I'm getting really sick of our 1.4Mbps 4G connection. The route we want is pretty direct with just a bit of deviation to keep the poles next to the hedges rather than in the middle of the field. I suspect a bigger problem is that it gets to the existing pole line on the road pretty much exactly between two DPs, so will require another 150m of fibre along the road to get to whichever DP we've been assigned. Going down along our laneway would get closer to a DP, but more difficult to site poles, needs crossing under LV and HV ESB lines and from my point of view brings the line to the wrong end of the house. Our house walls are mostly pretty much impossible to get services through. One wing is two foot thick stone walls and the other is metal cladding on timber frames with all sorts of insulation and vapour barriers. The only sensible way in and out for retrofits is the hallway and lobby in the middle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭ItHurtsWhenIP

NBI crews were out along the Cappamore road from the village of Rearcross a couple of weeks ago replacing old poles.

Today and yesterday, a different crew were in the village on the Newport road. Looked like they might be installing additional ducting, as they were digging up along the foot path from the point where the phone lines come out of the duct from the exchange and are then onto poles for the rest of the way out of the village.

Hollyford DA … July-December 2025

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭CptMackey

I have new poles on my road now. Still Jan 26 to dec 26 but I can hope it will be quicker

Advertisement