Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Total cost of ownership

• 16-08-2024 8:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

I might break down and buy a car. I found this ancient "cost of motoring" thing from the AA. Do ye know of any similar guide — ideally more modern — that I might look at? If it makes a difference, I'm thinking about a Toyota Yaris hybrid. Or I can just use those 2019 numbers and adjust for year-on-year inflation or something. Does the AA thing seem accurate (for 2019 at least)? I can imagine that the recent reinstatement of various taxes will have an impact.

Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭mulbot

It's not accurate in my case. The car my wife has,, no loan. About 25/30 euro a week on petrol. Insurance for us both, little under 500e per year. , tax, 280e. Service about 400. Nct test, 55e. I don't factor depreciation into the running costs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,449 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

I'd use those headings and do a bit of research yourself - a lot depends on your personal circumstances - insurance quotes will vary wildly, you might or might not have any parking charges, interest depends on whether you took a loan out to finance the car etc etc

Depreciation will depend on how old the car you buy is - if you buy new, it'll lose most in the first year (the first week, really) and downwards on a sliding scale through the years.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Mister Baddog

Thanks for the advice! Yah I don't see how I'd spend €4000 on parking. And given that I'll be buying used, the depreciation number is a lot lower.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,223 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

Don't forget to factor in the cost of alternative modes of transport and time wasted if you don't buy a car.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,084 ✭✭✭timmyntc

Just because you choose not to include depreciation doesn't mean it can be dismissed.

It is a cost of ownership - higher depreciation makes rentals/PCP more attractive also as that cost isn't borne as much by you

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,834 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

I've often wondered what 'miscellaneous' costs they could be referring to which average out at more than a tenner a day. Maybe they're including the cost of building your own standalone garage on your one acre site...

I can dismiss it if I choose,as its running cost we're talking about. When I buy a car the amount I give is gone,i don't buy the car with the assumption that it will be worth X amount at another given time. The running costs, from my view, are what it takes to keep the car on the road, from time of purchase to moment of sale,whatever the car is worth at that time is a bonus to put towards upgrading.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,834 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

You don't think the cost of replacing the car periodically is part of the TCO, i.e. total running costs? You might be on your own on that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,039 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

I own my car 15 years.

I’m f€*#%ed if I’m factoring in depreciation into the cost of running it 🤣

No I don't. Like I said, I don't buy a car assuming it'll be worth X amount at sale point. What the car depreciates isn't relevant to me, what it costs to run the car is

• Advertisement

But you're not including the cost of the car in how much it costs you?

If you intend on never replacing the car, I can kinda see a logic there.

That's upfront cost (purchase cost), vs running costs.

The thread title is 'total cost of ownership' - you were the one who first said 'it's running cost we're talking about' so we're at cross purposes here.

My apologies, I was referring to the opening line of the link provided "total cost of running a family car". Of course, running costs, and overall costs are different.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,084 ✭✭✭timmyntc

Total cost of ownership includes purchase costs.

If you only look at running costs (insurance, tax, NCT, servicing, fuel) then an EV will likely win out every time.

But in reality a new EV (or any new car) is a huge expense that totally changes the maths on whether it's a sound investment or not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,039 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

yep which is why I’m quite happy running my 16 year old diesel for another few years anyway

Advertisement