Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why do the Irish say "I suppose" all the time?

• 16-08-2024 1:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭

This is something I've noticed over the past year, especially on TV/radio when people are interviewed. They seem to excessively use "I suppose" before making any statement. I've even heard high up politicians using it, for example, when talking about policies! A politician should never say "I suppose".

Is this part of the Irish insecurity in actually not committing to anything or believing in what we're saying?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭tibruit

Ah you`re overthinking it. It`s a turn of phrase that spreads like a virus. Pascal Donohue began his reply to every question with "So". Now they`re all infected with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

I suppose its because we don't want come across as know-it-all, d'ya,think, like?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,528 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

I suppose it's just how Irish people speak and part of our culture.

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭moonage

Shur lookit, I suppose it's just a habit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Supposin supposin three men were frozen. One died, how many were left?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,424 ✭✭✭BrianD3

It buys some extra time for spoofers to think about their answer to a question.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,424 ✭✭✭BrianD3

It buys some extra time for spoofers to think about their answer to a question.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,923 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Out of kindness, I suppose.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭Burt Renaults

Dunno. Suppose, like I dunno. You know yourself. Happy days, wha?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭BalcombeSt4

I suppose we "I suppose" a lot because it;s shorter than saying "I assume that something is true or probable but lack proof or certain knowledge to be sure of it."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Homelander

It's like when we say "ahhmmm" to fill a gap rather than just staying silent while they think.

Like anything else it's a habit. Including our tendency to say the word "like" an awful lot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,616 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

The definition…... think or assume that something is true or probable but lack proof or certain knowledge."I suppose I got there about noon"

I suppose I’ll go to the cinema = i probably will go to the cinema.

If I had tickets and definite plans with X… “ I’m going to the cinema “

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,643 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

It's often used as one of those meaningless filler phrases people use when they are struggling to speak. Filler words playing for time trying to give the brain some time to catch up with what I actually want to say which I dont quite know yet but I already started speaking. Like 'you know', 'I suppose' 'at the end of the day' yaddiya.

Sometimes it means that one is less than certain about something which is what its really meant for.

Guilty of it myself sometimes. The filler bit that is.

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭Vita nova

"I suppose" is mostly just the Irish and British version of the American "I guess". If anything it seems less common than I remember because much of its use has been replaced by "I guess".

• Registered Users Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭waynescales1

Beat me to it. Irish people saying "I guess" is the real problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,545 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

It's mainly a filler, but I suspect it's chosen over other possible fillers (of which there are many) because it avoids the speaker appearing dogmatic or overconfident, and suggests that he is open to reviewing his position in the light of new information or of arguments he hasn't yet considered.

I can't think why the OP imagines that a politician should never say it. Unless he wants to come across as a second Donald Trump, whose confidence in himself is exceeded only by his ignorance of virtually everything else, a politician would always be wise to appear open to new information or new thinking.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,802 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

I suppose

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

It is used instead of 'I think' …. it might be less sure and assertive than 'I think' and that makes it very Irish - leave some wriggle room.

On a similar aspect I have noticed that GAA players use 'look' to open a sentence and FAI players say 'listen'. That's a totally unscientific observation, but it amuses me when watching sports interviews on d'telly.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭sheroman01

Oh I’ve noticed this too recently and once you spot it, it’s so annoying. It’s very common in Munster/Connaught folk.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Alonzo Mosley

Tomás O Sé on the Sunday game is notorious for it …….

It's just natural speech. And in informal writing, starting a sentence with Oh is also harmless. People are seeing problems and getting annoyed by stuff like this for no good reason.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,979 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

So

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,252 ✭✭✭mattser

GAA people shorten it to " I S'pose ".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 730 ✭✭✭z80CPU
    Darth Randomer

An alternate expression is ' ..meh…'

and going back to my parents youth

' .. musha.. '

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,076 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

That’s where I initially thought the OP might be coming from when I read the thread title - it being used in response to a statement where the listener really doesn’t give a shìt one way or the other and just says “I suppose” to keep the peace.

“I suppose…” before a statement is just a way of lending support to the statement as if it were actually true. Generally speaking, what follows after “I suppose…” isn’t true, and the appropriate polite response is “I suppose”, by way of keeping the peace. It’s placating the speaker, while not necessarily agreeing with what they’re saying, because it doesn’t really matter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭kravmaga

When I was in the states, the yanks are always saying, "Im just trying to figure out" .

Generally speaking, and speaking in general terms, I suppose that might be true. Or it could conceivably be a lie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,979 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

Its a "filler phrase" one step up from "err". Speaker wants to acknowledge you but really wasn't listening.

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,545 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

On the contrary, fillers are an indication that the speaker was listening to your question, and needs time to process it and to frame his reply. That's why you hear them a lot in radio and television interviews.

Advertisement