Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Air to Air with hot water systems

123457»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Borax2709

thanks - we do have MVHR already so not too worried there. Just need to avoid this overt heat for 2/3 months of the year really.

Not certain what kind of budget I'm going to need to get sorted though! And also the obvious concerns about getting a job well done as well as well priced!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 309 ✭✭JayBee66

Consider dehumidifiers as an experiment before plunging into the expense of A2A. We have two desiccant dehumidifiers on all day in two bedrooms. Being desiccant dehumidifiers they use heaters and increase the temperature by a degree or two and yet because they remove water from the air, it feels less oppressive than cooler/damper air.

The morning starts at about 65/66% RH and at the end of the day the RH is between 50 and 55% and the temperature is about 23C but the bedrooms, corridor and living room (all doors open) feel much more comfortable than the kitchen with it's door closed off from the rest of the house.

Its solar gain that's our enemy in the summer, less so the humidity!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,184 ✭✭✭allinthehead

Those bedroom temps are nuts. How do you sleep?

☀️

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,612 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Insane. When the outside temp is expected to stay over 21C (so the same for our bedroom with the windows wide open), we sleep under just a sheet. This is a 1 night per 10 year event in Dublin.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,209 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

Done the usual first steps, Blackout blinds/curtains?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 309 ✭✭JayBee66

I guess the heat island effect in urban areas has its own problems. Being out in the countryside, in a bungalow with small windows, heat gain is never problem. The triple glazing reflects a lot of direct sunlight away from our house too. Though we rarely see the Sun with fog, mist and cloud. 21C is the hottest it will ever get in this house. 23C with the dehumidification.

Regular rainfall means the land is rarely dry and damp air is the main problem. This year's poor weather has given us the first blighted potato crop for quite some time. Although the tomatoes will blight every year, without fail, as they crop later than the potatoes.

Yup. The windows in the two rooms in question are directly south facing and have nothing blocking sun at any stage throughout the day. They're also big big windows. Roughly 2.2m x 6m.

Neighbours with a similar affliction have had the windows coated with some heat reflecting film but think it's made only a tiny impact.

The sun's rays are just powerful, even in Ireland I guess!

Re how do we sleep, there's a fun game of whack a mole played with opening all windows at the right time, having fans trying to move air through to try and get temps down, and mostly just a fan pointed at the bed on the ridiculous nights of 24+.

Sub ideal. Thinking it's time for AC

Having some sort of blind or curtain should reduce the solar gain a good bit, but they are huge windows., close them during the day.

Heat geeks have some ideas too, can include awnings to shade them windows so it doesn't get direct sun.

I meant nothing externally blocking any sunlight entering.

Both rooms have heavy curtains or shutters closed all day during the real sun spells.

I sat through an invigorating 30 min video about awnings the other day and was close to pulling the trigger on some but we are in quite a windy area at times and I think long term it would cost me more than solar powered AC!

• Advertisement

Awnings.. was it technology connections? 😆

I'm in a 80's bungalow, and it's living room is at the corner of the house, SE/SW with 2 big windows too. I have a portable air con. It's noisy as all hell but takes the edge off!

Possibly best scenario is a combination of awning and some air conditioning!

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭The devils

I've used 37.9 kw for August cooling downstairs and upstairs. Steady at 20.5 degree's upstairs - nice

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭The devils

Its not ridiculous at all

For most users it's just want they need - yep getting ones fitted in every room might be an idea ( not for me now but maybe in the future) what u have currently is perfect for my house and family

1. My upstairs doors are always open because I have 2 kids (nice and warm/cool)

2. Downstairs large open plan area again nice and warm/cool)

I'm up early every morning so the larger living space is where I go..so having ac anywhere else wouldn't be ideal.

No gas on in morning for winter morning anymore heating unnecessary rooms.

Anyway IMO it's a great option if you can afford it..I really like it..and it's instant 👌

Advertisement