Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Importing a Panel Van from UK

• 17-08-2024 6:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 17

Sorry if this is has already been covered on another thread but i couldn't find the exact answer I'm looking for.

I want to buy a buy a second hand (2021) van (normal panel van / not a camper) in mainland UK and import it to ROI. Lets say the Van costs 28k plus Vat.

As far as i understand there was a recent change brought in around May 2024, but i dont full understand any of this …

Can anyone tell me the cost breakdown of both options:

Option A - Import it straight to ROI and pay all the necessary taxes etc

Option B - Get my cousin who lives in Northern Ireland to register / tax it in his name in the north and then after 3 months, i buy it from him and import it to ROI

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,468 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Are you buying it for a vat registered business? Or for personal use where you wouldn’t be claiming VAT?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,491 ✭✭✭goochy

What benefit will getting your cousin to register it be ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,468 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,491 ✭✭✭goochy

3 months won't be enough and will have to pay customs to register

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭steinbock123

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,826 ✭✭✭User1998

A: Purchase price x 1.353 + €200 VRT

B: Purchase price + €200 VRT

• Registered Users Posts: 17 donalf

Thanks,

Is the ' purchase price ' determined by the invoice / receipt i get from the person / business selling it ?

Or is there a (over) valuation process based on revenues omv ( open market value) database ?

Its the price on the invoice

What if I buy a van privately ( not from a garage ) in NI ?

I assume they wont accept a receipt / invoice from a private owner ?

They will

• Advertisement

thanks, what do i need from the person selling me the van ? just a standard receipt of purchase ?

And the V5

sorry about all of the questions … whats the ' V5 ' ?

The logbook.

ok and thanks for all the answers … hopefully this is my last question on this ….

what if i were to buy a van from a private seller in the uk who isn't vat registered and is selling a commercial van without any vat ( as in, they have already paid the vat) …

lets say the cost of the van is 20k … is the total cost to me 20 x 1.353 + 200 = 27,260 ?

what if the reciept from this private seller was lower than the amount paid ? ( do they use their valuation on uk imports or just work off the hand written receipt from a private seller ? )

Advertisement