Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Transport Aircraft

1495051525355»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,603 ✭✭✭California Dreamer

It has been 10 days and this comment is still here. I have managed to laugh at this every single day as well. 🤣🤣🤣

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,481 ✭✭✭Dohvolle

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭highpitcheric

I genuinely can't tell if it was sincere or a joke with some of the characters on boards.

And I had another look today and I laughed again! But I would love to see how the nameless user on a message board is going to take legal action against another nameless user for hurting their feelings! 🤣🤣🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭roadmaster

As suspected not the irish state but a company based in Ireland involved in new NATO helicopter

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/2024/08/15/irish-company-involved-in-concept-study-for-new-nato-helicopter/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,481 ✭✭✭Dohvolle

That’s ok, I can still look at your post and laugh at its desperation.

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭sully2010

I was patiently awaiting the news of Negative_G's impending arrest

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 338 ✭✭vswr

their RF R&D section is massive, in Ireland….

this research is subsidised by the Irish Gov through tax breaks, and they get to put it in various military and civil products around the world…without Ireland getting a sniff of profits..

These elements should definitely count towards GDP contribution calculation, if Ireland were ever to look at joining NATO.

lets just not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,272 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Join?

I don't think we should either, but the longer governments of this State fail to take the defence and security obligations of being non-aligned seriously, the more likely we'll end up being bounced into it by a serious geopolitical destabilisation and being left with no other options to protect the nation.

On the other point, we don't use GDP for anything in this Country. It is a false metric compared to other Countries

We use GNI*, as a marker of domestic economic performance, with the skewed elements that come with FDI stripped out.

GNI* for 2023 in Ireland was €291 billion.

2% of that would be €5.82 billion. A pie in the sky figure of course, but actually a figure that looks fair for how far behind defence and security is in this Country.

If 5.82 billion at 2023 prices was guaranteed for 10 years, the State could have a fit for purpose defence force, cyber protection apparatus and a civilian state security and intelligence agency of the highest standard. Lets call it LoA4!

Always the 2%.

Our best defences are politics and location.

Loa2 and eu seem fine.

All nato daydreams should be held off until November.

What about the EU?

Attacking a non-eu Ireland would be one thing.

Attacking Ireland, an eu member is another.

Is it? Why?

Successive EU treaties have only been passed in this State because of a succession of exemptions, opt-outs, codices, protocols, statements and any other political expendient you can think of, to these provisions.

And so, by our own doing, they don't really apply to us. We are guaranteed NOTHING.

And yes, we have recently joined several PESCO-EDA projects as participants rather than observers, but again, these are very specific and defined.

And so, I think this undescribed tacit belief among many in Ireland that "sure we'd be grand, the Yanks and the French and even the Brits would have our back" must end.

In the World of today, we can't say what will face us at the end of this year, let alone in 5 of 10 years.

How confident would you feel in the cohesion of the EU and NATO in a scenario of; Trump in the White House, Le Pen in the Elyseé, Alice Weidel and the AfD in a German federal coalition, Meloni, Wilders, Orban, Nehammer all in various aspects of power?

Cos while I think its very unlikely they will all be in power coincidentally, or even ever, the possibility doesn't make me feel too confident at all about our defence and security position.

even if all that were to be as you say, it still stands that the consequences of hurting ireland as an eu member carry far more consequences than if we werent eu members.

Eu states obviously dont attack each other, so thats most of the continent ruled out in 1 swipe of the pen.

Next up is practically all other countries bar maybe Rus, US, China.

Odds are all those random countries interdepend with eu in economic, diplomatic realms. And Ireland can weaponize that. So the payoff of screwing with us must be greater than any mischief we can cause the attacker from within the EU parliament and council. (Ive two countries in mind, both will never win).

This combined with our tricky location makes for a very peaceful place. As I said, our geography and our politics are our best defence.

Thereafter the issue of mutual defence comes into it. Further complications for any aggressor.

Is EU mutual defence really something worth finding out about?

Not for any reason in Ireland Id think.

When China and Russia get their ports on Western Africa sometime in the next 5 years…. the location argument goes out the window and the Atlantic is fair game…

Irish waters become a safe haven for those navies to navigate as Ireland can do zero about it…

EU mutual defence has that much oomf, Sweden and Finland didn't have to join NATO.

EU mutual defence has that much oomf, nato founder member Denmark recently joined.

The Atlantic is international water as it is. West Africa is also quite a distance, having a port in Ghana or wherever doesn't really change much in respect to us.

But what about the jaysus transport aircraft??????

Well at the moment IRL 280 seams to be the default donkey aircraft and dont forget the single Casa 295 transport that is ordered.

• Advertisement

Not for their reactive defence benefit though, they were being left out of the strategic plans, it was going to happen eventually, Ukraine was the catalyst to speed it up…

A country with such a vast coastline, their opt out clause came back to bite them.

From an EU defence perspective, they only had input at civilian level and were in a position where any EU North Sea and Baltic operations would go ahead without their input (not necessarily direct, or any, aggression to anyone) but any proactive defence measures, they wouldn't have been included.

So they were in a position where they could have potential foreign units patrolling in/near their waters and airspace on operations they weren't included in.

From a reactive standpoint, there is still too much bureaucracy in the EU to have a reactive force like a NATO article 5 call.

Hence why Sweden and Finland went NATO.

When Russia/China get ports in the Atlantic, Irish EEZ waters have potential to heat up South China sea style…

Youll need something better than 'if China gets ports in Ghana 5 years from now' if you want to sell a massive political change from whats working well enough.

Its a no from me.

well yes, you're leaving out the part where I mentioned the threat to our EEZ, which China has already expressed interest in for potential oil and mineral deposit investigation. Which is also one of the least protected EEZ's on the planet…

But hey, you work away paraphrasing for effect.

Hopefully there's never a need to join NATO, but the current EU red tape doesn't exactly posture solid security either.

Chinas largest export destination would tariff slap them if they tried any such funny business.

But this topic should maybe not be continued here. As its the wrong thread. Current affairs has a place for this.

I'd rather not frustrate users who want to know about the jaysus transport aircraft. Fair point California.

Random question, When then Cessna replacement tenders were returned back in 2017 and the PC12 won only 2 companys had submitted Tenders. Does anyone know what the other aircraft was?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭Negative_G

Cessna offered the Caravan.

Looking at the article below about current helicopter prices when it comes to the state replacing the AW139 fleet with Super Mediums the two departments in charge of the money will be crying.

https://euro-sd.com/2024/08/major-news/39963/game-could-be-up-for-nmh/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,530 ✭✭✭Markcheese

143(ISH) million euros for 6 airbus h145 ,

Thing is ,they're not going to get any cheaper with time.. even if the department of finance decided to send our existing helicopters for a full refurb ,that will also have become extraordinarily expensive..

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 3,967 ✭✭✭sparky42

Same issue with any of the purchases for the DF, the sticker shock means the finance departments (and the Cabinet) run and hide rather than just straight up own the need to spend that kind of money.

• Advertisement
Advertisement