Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Tesla Talk

1116117118119120122»

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 8,039 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

By that do you mean calling out the fact that your giving advice based on a lack of experience? If you were to give an Ioniq 28kWh driver the advice that 15km of range left is fine and dandy then I'd also call you out, the Ioniq dropped range like a fly when it hit its last few percent. People should absolutely understand the capabilities of the vehicle they are driving, they should base this on the experience of people who drive them not those who for some reason have a pattern of posting against a brand they disagree with and want to boycott due to not liking their CEO.

Every model behaves slightly differently at the top and bottom of its battery understanding this for your own car is key to getting the best experience.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,550 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Not in my experience. I regularly go out on journeys were my expected battery level upon return is -1 to -4%. And regularly go down to 0% several km before I get home. @liamog is correct in his assessment that it depends on the car though. But sure what would we know, we have been driving full EVs almost exclusively between the two of us for over 15 years combined

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Ir3

put them back on for those trips, no need on a daily basis for most people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,023 ✭✭✭✭listermint

i doubt you do that at all tbh, I know how you operate you are incredibly diligent. Youll forgive my scepticism because there is a penchant to narrate a story based on who the poster is (me) the fact that unkel the EV guy drives around below range is fanciful. You operate on an almost OCD level of how much it costs to operate your EV. I dont see how youd abandon all of that.

Heres the reality , poster makes sensible point about journey planning and taking risks. Poster B takes it as a slight on their car choice and goes to battle. (Liam is that poster) cant have a basic legitmate conversation making a sensible point....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,550 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Now you are calling me a liar? Nice.

I can assure you I do not lie, maybe I should throw up a few pics in future to show my zero range while driving or something 🙄

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 412 ✭✭gossamerfabric

Yes, I do. If it means getting to a charging location like Ionity Merklingen with about a dozen Ionity and a dozen superchargers and 3 or 4 different food outlets then you would be thankful of the 15 kilometers.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 8,039 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Way to misrepresent things, what I said was in response to your claim that you'd be mad to plan a journey down to 15km. As I pointed out, 15km of remaining range can mean very different things depending on the car you drive, as this is a Tesla thread it's relevant to people that 15km of remaining range is well within a comfortably margin for journey planning, something you would know if you actually drove one.

I'm sure your own car may be in the circumstance where 15km of range left is dicey, that doesn't make it true for people who drive other models, not quite sure why once again you are so quick to dismiss the experience of people who actually daily drive the car.

Well no it's not dicey actually. I just wouldn't be stupid enough to plan 1000km journeys with 15km left over on stops. That would be stupid. Also I didn't misrepresent anything you said.

Everything comes back to how great your Tesla is. You make it your very being.

Legitimately saying to someone. Hey maybe don't leave the car with 15km on it if your planning long trips is a good idea (which is what I said) you felt attacked. Weird stuff. Very Very weird stuff

No I'm saying this brand has its owners acting abnormal

It's a car..

Then what's stopping you using the range of your car? Is it that the journey planner isn't able to give you an accurate estimated arrival percentage?

Using Tesla's journey planner down to charging stops with low percentages of remain range is absolutely not stupid as you claim. The enroute charging integration is miles ahead of anybody other EV maker operating in this market. That's why it's completely OK to go into low percentages and remaining km.

It's not some magic copium like you think, it's just a well integrated real time solution. When I drove the Mini and Ioniq I was able to do something similar, but I needed OBD devices hooked up to ABRP to do it. I wouldn't recommend anybody outside of EV enthusiasts goes down that route, for Tesla you don't have to it's all built into the nav.

Tesla aren't the best cars in the world, but there EV navigation stack is currently second to none in Europe. Rivian bought ABRP to do something similar and will hopefully license it so that more manufacturers can offer the same experience without the need for meddling with the car.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,570 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

15km is a days driving for me some days. Plenty of range in that once you know your car. Especially for experienced EV drivers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,052 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

I would only go to zero in a tesla, precisely because of how accurate the trip planner is. I've owned three teslas and probably well over 125k km in them at this stage. Other EVs I wouldnt be confident going that low because it simply doesnt get displayed correctly.

The only other exception would be my leaf24, but that's because of the small battery and the fact leafspy is invaluable.

That being said, my current tesla, the LFP 3, has 40-60km of range past zero so I doubt I'd notice 15km. The passengers would though, the kids and mrs have range anxiety still.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭jlang

While I believe there must be some reserve below zero, I have no intention of finding out how much and I'll take the youtube measuring guys word for it. I'm comfortable with rolling in home off a long trip with 2-3% (10km or so) but I'd never let it get that low when around the country. More due to charger anxiety than direct range anxiety. I trust the car to do it, but I hate needing to charge where I want when I want when most sites seem to only have one or two chargers (even if that might cover 4 spaces) and many sites also have one or more inoperable for whatever reason.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,029 ✭✭✭✭josip

I won’t agree or disagree as I don’t know enough about him, his actions or how it influences “Tesla” cars for me or any other user.

Coincidentally, I sold my last Tesla last week so I’m technically an unbiased poster on the subject…….for the moment 😆

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,227 ✭✭✭Kramer

my current tesla, the LFP 3, has 40-60km of range past zero

Where have people taken this information from?

Do people think there's a 65kWh battery in the LFP Model 3, with 7-8kWhs hidden?

If it's the Bjorn video from years ago, when Tesla were regularly messing with the buffer & hiding 7/8kWh, then that ended long, long ago.

Scan My Tesla (with OBD) doesn't show any significant buffer.

I've seen several post this here now. If it's not correct, it could lead to someone getting stranded on the road.

Happy to be corrected, but I can post the data from SMT, from either of our LFP M3s, both are the same.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,084 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Buffer is max 3kWh, I got 27kms from 3kWh coming home Friday, 100km speed limit

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭cunnifferous

That seems like a lot of range from a small amount of battery?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,549 ✭✭✭pah

11.1KWh/100km

It's doable

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,227 ✭✭✭Kramer

Scan My Tesla shows a 2.6kWh buffer. At a realistic average of 14kWh/100km, that's 18kms.

I'd not be depending on any BMS to reliably & accurately predict, absolute zero, on an LFP battery…..I'd say even going 10kms past 0% SoC, on a Model 3 LFP, wouldn't be wise.

Each to their own, but misleading information could have unfortunate consequences for someone reading these posts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,052 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

I don't intend to mislead anyone and am more than happy to be proven wrong with data.
    I'm basing the statement on Bjorn's video where he drove that far. I'm not the type of person to drive on zero percent, but I am comforted to know theres a few KM there to get to a charger or whatever. I think he said there was something like 3-5kwh available in reserve. The battery is supposed to be 61kwh of usable energy. If you have SMT (I don't) can you post the capacity and the reserve? It is tesla, they change (worsen?) random things very often!

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭Wolftown

For anyone approaching the end of the bumper to bumper warranty, I'd recommend logging a service request.

I logged one for a charge port flap that wasn't closing flush, and they sent a technician out.

He had a good look around the car and identified a few suspension components that are now being replaced FOC.

The car seems to be driving perfectly so I would never have noticed any issues. Had he not checked everything I'd likely be paying for these parts shortly after the warranty expired.

EDIT to add: the bill for this work would have been around €1200 if outside the warranty period.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,846 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

What would you recommend checking @Gumbo ?

Mine is up on Sept 9th but everything seems to be fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Would have thought suspension components would be wear and tear items rather than warranty items?

Suspension.
    all bushings, arms, joints, racks and sub axles.

I’d query any little noise or niggle just to get it into the system before warranty expires.

Now these are things you can get your local mechanic to check and then anything found can be highlighted in the app.

Normally speaking yes. But credit where credit is due, Tesla say no. They replace any suspension joints, knuckles, bushings etc while under warranty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Hard to argue with that as a service.

one could forget musk was at the helm 😂😂

• Advertisement
Advertisement