Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Where are all the deals on 2nd hand EVs. Considering an MG4

• 17-08-2024 2:51pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7

Hello All,

I have a Nissan leaf for 7 years now. It's never given me a bit of trouble and works great for local and some longer trips.

We are looking for a 2nd EV to drive 120 km motorway trips 5 days a week.

We have about €25,000 to spend and no trade in.

We are interested in an MG4 and we see a low mileage one in a dealers with 18,000 km for €24,500. Is this a deal?

There is a private one for sale on Done deal for €22,000 for 32 days now also.

Interested in ID3 and maybe a Tesla Model 3 lower range 2021. I know Teslas are hard to find at that price??

Two teenagers will be in the back at weekends so would need to be roomy so Kona not an option.

I would appreciate any advice or ideas as we are looking to purchase fairly soon.

Thanks all.

Post edited by Pluto59 at

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,422 ✭✭✭joe1303l

Best value I’m seeing at €25K is in used ID.4’s. You’ll pick up a low mileage 77kWh car with lots of spec for that kind of money. HV battery warranty is 8 years or 160K Kms whichever comes first.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7 Pluto59

Thanks for that. Yes we looked at the ID3 and went for a test drive. We thought the ID4 was a bit big. But we might look again and test drive one as there are a good few in Galway in dealers not too far away from us. Is the ID 4 better car than MG4?

The MG4 is a 2023 car and has 52 battery.

I know it's all subjective about which is best as some folks love VWs etc.

Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,561 ✭✭✭✭fits

my old id.3 tour. is up for sale in Holden motor group. It has 84k km on it but was running perfectly when we gave it back to vw finance in July.
    a great middle sized car. It has a very high spec with almost every thing you could get except heat pump and sunroof.

hard to post link but this is the heading.

2021 VOLKSWAGEN ID.3 PRO.. 77KWH.. LONG RANGE

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,619 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

Main thing the ID.4 will give you over an ID.3 is more boot space

They're actually very close in size, same height, width and wheelbase. The ID.4 has a longer rear overhang giving a bigger boot(y)

If you can get one with the bigger battery (77kWh) then it'll have buckets of range

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

Thanks for those recommendations for ID.4.

So is it a better car than an MG4.

I see so many ID.4s now on the road.

• Advertisement

I just checked out the ID 3 and they dropped the price.

Why did you get rid of it?

Bought it for commuting but it ended up being the main family car. We brought it to France and everything. Just needed something a bit bigger.

Thanks for that update.

There are so many cars out there and deciding on one is difficult.

We kinda narrowed it down to an MG4 as it had low mileage and is a 2023 with good reviews of the car.

I guess we are looking for a deal but a reliable car also.

I have the 30 KW leaf for 7 years now and never a bother with it apart from small range.

But only money I put into it was the yearly service and change of tyres.

So looking for a car like this as in reliable but not another leaf.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,777 ✭✭✭✭JPA

A brand new MG4 isn't much over 25k, buying 2nd hand doesn't make sense for the MG4.

I think it's 4,000 more for a new one. So saving 4,000 for 2nd hand for €24,500.

It has not devalued like VW or Tesla.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,768 ✭✭✭User1998

I’d be more inclined to offer €19,000 or so for the private sale one rather than paying €24,500 to a dealer. They both have manufacturers warranty so buying private is the smarter choice

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,619 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

"Better" is a bit subjective, and unless someone here has owned both you're unlikely to get a complete answer

Main complaints I'd have with the ID.4 are the mediocre software, crappy touchscreen buttons and it generally feeling like a bus

Main good points for the ID.4 would be that it's a fairly quick and efficient bus, has lots of range and there's a nationwide network of VW mechanics (although don't expect they automatically makes any issues quicker to fix because they rarely have parts in stock)

Maybe the MG4 thread will have some more pros and cons for that car

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

I think the bad software thing is over emphasised for vw. It’s not that bad at all. And the driver assist systems are excellent. I’d be happy to own one again as long as there is good spec in it.

Thanks I will definitely consider one. What car do you drive now if you don't mind me asking.

Advertisement