Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Summer 2024 - General Discussion

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭pureza

Suns out in Arklow,18c

Very little if any breeze

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,329 ✭✭✭highdef

It's currently 15° with grey skies and a very cool nagging wind. Jesus wept, it's more akin to Late October than mid August. Winter jacket zipped all the way up, a cap on my head yet I'm still sniffing from the chill and tears are running down my face from the wind.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,975 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

It's been a strange and largely disappointing summer. June and July were far too chilly for my liking, too much cloud, not enough sun and way too much wind. First half of August things improved a bit but there were still a few crap days. We seem back to a cooler and cloudy regime once again but will things improve for the remaining 2 weeks of summer? The azores high hasn't had a look in once over the entire summer and the Azores high looks as if it will stay well away from us for what little remains of this summer.

The only good thing I can say about this summer is that it's been a relatively dry summer but it never really settled down at any stage with light rain or drizzle on many days throughout this summer. Compared to summer 2023 this has been a better summer, at least the rain wasn't bouncing up off the ground every single day from 4th week of June all the way to final day of August like last summer. It's also been a very forgettable summer in terms of weather, no real warmth, no thunderstorms, no plumes, no high pressure. Most of Ireland hasn't seen temperatures go above 23C at any stage this summer with only a few places reaching 24C and 25C seems off the table for most of us this summer. I can only hope that summer 2025 is back to a half decent summer, we will be due one by then after 2 crap summers in a row.

Post edited by Gonzo on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭Hippodrome Song Owl

Cloudy, breezy, cool around Celbridge. It's grand for working outside, but I wouldn't sit out in the garden in it. Not too dark at least, unlike the first half of yesterday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,192 ✭✭✭pauldry

The only good thing I can say about this Summer is its nearly over. At least when it's cloudy and showery in Sept Oct Nov its par for the course and you take little notice. Wev had no dry settled spell this year at all for the 1st time ever in my life and I'm 50.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭OldRio

I gave up on this 'Summer' in mid July. It's been a complete bore. Most days the same oul same oul. Thick slate grey and a nagging wind.

I only hope Autumn and Winter deliver cool crisp days. I'm looking forward to wrapping up in layers and going for long walks. Enjoying the colours changing in both the light and countryside. Returning home to stare at a roaring fire.

If only.

We'll get another 6 month bore fest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,968 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Sun and broken cloud now in Cork but an improvement from this morning at least.

That said, the wind has a distinctive autumnal chill in it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,159 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

Was out on the golf course at 7am this morning in Dublin and it was a beautiful start to the day however clouded up soon after. Love golfing at this time of the year in Ireland. The trees are all different colours and look beautiful. The only annoying thing is all the leaves on the greens but that's only a slight annoyance. I normally don't like American terms however I think when they call this season the FALL it really sums up what is happening in nature at the moment

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,136 ✭✭✭wazzzledazzle

I agree, a pretty much forgettable crap summer of weather. I'd take a wetter summer, if it meant we had a week of prolonged warm/hot temps even once through each summer month.

Too much cloud, cooler than average, felt a distict chill at times because of the wind.

I, probably unlike you Gonzo appreciate milder more boring winters. Can't be dealing with freezing weather. Poor circulation in my youngish hands. So that's the next thing to "look forward" to, what will Winter 24//25 bring……….

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭gilly1910

I know a lot of people will disagree with me, but I actually hate Winter. I know our Winters are generally quite mild, and we don't have to put up with the freezing temperatures and snow that other countries do, but in Ireland it just seems to be seven to eight months of single figure temperatures, cold, damp, windy and dark. God even the thought of it gives me a shiver, even though it's not that far away once the clocks go back at end of October.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭pureza

Another day above 20c in South Wicklow

Beautiful day

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,329 ✭✭✭highdef

I don't know what trees you were seeing but every tree around me in Meath (and Longford) is green…..and there are plenty of them. If there are some yellowing leaves in the Dublin area, that would likely to be due to dryer than usual conditions so far this summer……of which there are still a couple of weeks of it left before we move into Irish meteorological Autumn.

As for the Americans calling this season Fall, Fall is over a month away in the USA, this year beginning on the 22nd of September @ 08:44 EDT.

Welcome fall! The autumnal equinox—the September equinox or the fall equinox—arrives on Sunday, September 22. Not only do temperatures drop, but plant life slows down, and so do we. Read about the first day of fall, plus some fun facts and folklore.

When Is the First Day of Fall? The Autumnal Equinox?

The fall equinox and the first day of autumn arrives on  Sunday, September 22, 2024, at 08:44 A.M. EDT in the Northern Hemisphere. The equinox occurs at the same moment worldwide.

Link:

It's always nice to learn new things 😊

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,975 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Winter 2024/2025 has about a 99.9% chance of the same oul rinse and repeat we see almost every winter with identical setups to low pressures and high pressure anchored over southern Europe and anything cold for Northern tips of Scotland, Scandi and eastern Europe. Strong PV, long fetch south-westerlies. All these 'drivers' that constantly get talked about in winter forecasts that support either a mild or cold winter, they basically all support the same oul pattern for our part of Europe.

At least with our summers you know there is going to be a half decent one every few summers and sometimes we get 2 or 3 decent ones in a row followed by a gap of crap summers and then back to good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,665 ✭✭✭Dazler97

I see Ernesto could hit or even track close to us next week here is the current track , giving the forward speed at 64km/h that's 40 odd mph, we shall see anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭KanyeSouthEast

this sums it up perfectly. most of the summer 15 degrees grey and a nagging breeze. Relatively dry summer but no decent weather where I am at all. I know others on the west coast had a better June and July judging by the reports here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭Thunder87

Same, I really don't get the excitement or enthusiasm so many have for winter, as you say its just months and months of darkness, temperatures around 8C and endless wind and rain. The chance of a decent snowfall is exciting but it happens so rarely that overall I detest it as a season and would happily migrate to somewhere like the Canaries every year if I had the means.

But anyway back to today, not a great day in Dublin, dry but cool and grey, the past two days are the first hints of autumn after a brief respite of comfortable temperatures for the past few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭adocholiday

Seems to be tracking well to our west on the main model outputs this evening. Some yellow level gusts possible for exposed parts of the west coast based on current guidance but I don't think we'll be troubled by this one unless it takes a significant shift eastwards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,670 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

For the current month you have to manually take the data (the daily mean wind speed) from the daily data page and calculate an average after you've received all the figures. For past months, you have to go to the historical database and download CSV files, use SQL or functions in Excel to calculate averages for past summers. If I remember to, I will do so when the time comes. That is no problem. That will probably be by the end of the first week of September that I will post about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭Hippodrome Song Owl

@sryanbruen Thanks for that info. Sounds like a huge amount of work! Probably beyond my technical skills. I will really appreciate if you get a chance to do it, but no bother if you don't have time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,665 ✭✭✭Dazler97

Yes that's true , it's usually August, September and October we get the tail end of hurricanes 🌀

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭Billcarson

Don't think many weather enthusiasts in this country get too excited by winter anymore. There is little to get excited about. Winter has become an extended autumn.

It's a few years since I've used this forum with any regularity but winter was always by far the busiest season in the past at least, maybe as you say the boring autumnal nothingness of the past decade (2018 blizzard aside) has killed that interest.

Most days now are cloudy or cloudy and wet. Sunny days have definitely decreased in the past few years. As the Oceans are heating up they are causing more cloud to form at our latitude so expect little or no frost or snow this Winter just 8c to 11c most days with rain on the non cloudy dry days.

Soon there will be no need to forecast the weather in this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Mapaputsi

This would be great, thank you. I must say it to my wife a couple of times a week that this is the windiest summer in my living memory. Today in Galway was extremely blustery again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭OldRio

Rain last night followed by drizzle this morning. Nothing changes.

Leitrim.

Dry dull and cloudy and cool today. Good day in terms of this Summer as no GALE.

same as every day really. Dull grey dry cool temp 16 degrees. Is there any sun in the forecast at all.

Judging by the forecast temperatures in the week ahead and the longer term outlook on the charts I'd say that's all she wrote for summer 2024.

Hopefully September might deliver a brief settled sunny spell, it'll be a full year since the last sunny week by that point

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭Rugbyf565

imagine having a proper summer climate :(

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭Rugbyf565

So dull. We must have the most dull and grey climate in the world. Never cold, never hot, wasn’t even humid this summer with the cold Atlantic breeze. Summers over before you know it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,486 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

More oppressive f**king grey. Even the nice days are bloody cloudy half the time. At least it's dry for AC/DC, I can hear them practicing from my living room!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

I was in London for a week in July around Wimbledon and it rained every day and was miserable and cold. They get better summers than us but I can assure you it's far from a continental climate! They get good warm spells but the weather there is very hit and miss to be honest

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 626 ✭✭✭glightning

And yet, in all my many times to London in summer months I’ve never (and I mean never) been disappointed with the weather we got. Always been notably better than back home. 4 to 6c warmer on an average summer day, and 10 to 15c during any of their hot spells.
    At 1633 sunshine hours per year compared to Belfast’s 1277 they have almost 400 hours more sunshine. That’s like 33 fully sunny extra days (based on 12 hours per day).
    Might not be the continent, but it’s significantly different than Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

I said they had better weather than here but if you think they get consistently sunny hot summers you are wrong. They average 4 days per year where temp goes over 30 degrees. Paris not a huge distance away gets far better and hotter summers for example. South of France gets 30 degrees and more nearly every day.

As I said London gets better summers than us but the way people hype their weather,its far from the reality. Pretty much all of June to mid July this year was abysmal as was the case here.

The reality is if you want good summers draw a line from Paris and south and you will get them. London will get good stretches of weather but you can normally count on one hand the times its over 30 degrees on any given year. That's why Londoners travel to the sun in their droves every summer

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭DumbBrunette

Huge amount of Canadian wildfire smoke in the air this evening. Will hopefully make for a nice sunset.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭✭appledrop

August has been really nice in NCD. Today was the first day that felt a bit more autumnal and I did notice last night that it was dark by 9pm.

London typically gets plenty of unsettled weather in the summer, the first half of their summer was mostly crap as well. The main difference that makes their climate so much better though is temperature, just looking at stats for the past month 23 of the past 30 days have reached 25C or higher, I don't think we've had a single day all summer reach that in Dublin.

I lived there for a few years and you could comfortably wear shorts and t-shirt right for nearly half the year, very rarely you get that cold Atlantic wind either so you get the satisfaction of actually having a full summer instead of the few days here and there we usually get.

Back in Dublin.. another grey day today and noticeably darker, the brightness we get even on cloudy days in mid summer is mostly gone now if that makes sense, so really starting to feel more autumnal even ignoring the temperature

We did reach 25C on 24th June in Dublin (Phoenix Park even had a rounded 27C) but it was disappointingly cloudy for much of it and I will be honest it didn't feel that warm at all. Only did the cloud break up during the late evening hours. One of the coolest feeling "statistical very warm" days I've experienced. I don't blame anyone for forgetting it.

But yeah, 24-25C is about average for the modern July in London. Dublin's average July day typically ranges inbetween 19 and 20C (Dublin Apt 30 year avg is 19.5C). We are lucky to get one day of 25C maybe during the entire summer on the east coast or sometimes the entire country in the cooler summers like the current one or 2015. I'm not massively into temperatures like many - sun and wind play much more of a influence for me in rating - but without a doubt it's significantly warmer there and there's no arguing about it. As you say that's the one thing that sets the two apart. London is hardly world class for summers, in fact it's "very poor" when you compare it to others but that's the thing. You'll almost always find somewhere worse or better than other places. It's all relative and subjective. You can endlessly compare and come to no conclusion. Málaga is very poor for sunshine compared to Yuma, Arizona (the sunniest place on earth) but is still great and nobody would probably ever do such a comparison. Dublin is significantly better for sunshine compared to Torshavn in the Faroe Isles but again nobody would ever do such a comparison and most consider (rightfully so) both terrible.

went to the coast for a drive tonight. Lord Jesus it was cold down there and so so so grey. Wind would cut you. Lived in London for 10 years as Sryan said it’s not a fair comparison with Dublin and the weather there in summer although far from perfect is miles ahead of the crap we have.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,693 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

clear night tonight on the west cork coast. Very Red moon though, anybody know why? Can’t say I’ve actually seen it before! Apologies for the shocking phone camera photos!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭mcburns07

That'll be the wildfire smoke drifting over from Canada

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,215 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

A colourful or hazy sun/moon is always due to haze, smoke and dust in the atmosphere. In this case it's likely down to the Canadian wildfire smoke as others said above. You are much more likely to see a red moon if you get an unobstructed horizon view as the lower horizon is the most hazy or dusty part of the sky before the moon gets earthshine losing detail and colour. It tends to go through a spectrum of colours from red to orange to yellow to white as it rises higher in the sky. The wildfire smoke looks like aiding that process going on for a lot longer and muting the earthshine.

There was also a very red sunrise this morning for those that had a clearance in the mostly cloudy sky. Image by SaveTheHellfire, not mine as I was asleep for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,693 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

amazing to note, thanks all! Looks brilliant

There was a really noticeable orange tinge to the clouds all over us and the UK when I looked at sat24 earlier, I was wondering what it was and assumed it was a glitch on their graphics but I guess that probably explains it

Edit: Actually you can view back 24 hours so you can still see it, maybe more brown/pink than orange but definitely really noticeable

Post edited by Thunder87 on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

Met E forecasting a max of 19 for next Wed, are they serious? mid 20s more likely even in cloudy conditions

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,191 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Mention earlier of smoke from Canadian wild/forest fires in atmosphere. Probably explains the red moon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,850 ✭✭✭aidanodr

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,240 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Back in Dublin for a lovely warm breezy Sunday . Sun in and out

In the West for the last few days Thursday the best day but still nice enough to go out every day

Yesterday driving back , very grey and windy .

Got a couple of sea swims which was perfect and water was nice and warm .

Hope that's not it for my summer .

On a positive got all my washing dry on the line .

Lovely day today in Meath, plenty of hazy sunshine and warm.

• Advertisement
Advertisement