Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Building a new house on an NBI fibre line

• 17-08-2024 4:07pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭

In the next couple of months, I'm hoping to start building my new house in a rural area. The house will be accessed via a new private lane approx 170m from a minor road.

The minor road has just had fibre installed and I'm wondering - is there a chance I won't be able to connect my house to the fibre line? I had assumed it'd be fine, but just heard of a friend having issues in a similar scenario.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,586 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

There is a procedure to go through but you should get it.

Firstly the property has to have an eircode before it can be added to the database, that can take many months.

Once the eircode is available the property has to be surveyed by NBI before you can order.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,036 ✭✭✭BArra

how do you arrange for them to survey it if they have already surveyed the area and moved on ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭onrail

Any idea what factors would influence the probability of success?

To be honest, fibre availability would influence my decision to build or not!

Every new build in an NBP intervention area is covered under the NBP's rollout plan for 25 years with government subsidy.

New builds are surveyed separately even after the main survey has been completed.

I'm not sure of the exact procedure to get a new build added for survey but the Dept of Communications is the government department with overall responsibility for the intervention area mapping so that may be the first port of call in this situation.

Here is a Dáil reply to this very question last year

https://www.oireachtas.ie/en/debates/question/2023-02-28/67/

• Advertisement

The following is from the NBI website -

I am building a new (one-off) house, how can I get broadband?

We would encourage people building a new property to engage with the Eircode process as early as they can. Once the Eircode is assigned the resident should notify the Broadband Officer in the relevant Local Authority.

It is important to note that National Broadband Ireland is under contract with the Department of Environment, Climate and Communications (DECC) to build high-speed broadband infrastructure in areas that are not currently served, or planned to be served, through commercial investment by private operators.

NBI does not select the properties or areas to be served as part of the fibre deployment plan. The scope of the Intervention Area under the National Broadband Plan is determined by DECC. NBI has no authority to independently add premises not pre-approved for service by DECC.

DECC advises that commercial operators have indicated their plans to supply Gigabit services to all premises in the BLUE area of the NBP Map by 2026.

This map can be searched at www.broadband.gov.ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭onrail

Thanks for that. I think the best conclusion I can take is that it should be fine, but could take a while, and make sure you apply for an eircode asap.

Advertisement