Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Leeds United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,905 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

And now Raphinha potentially off to MU. Transfer window ain't improving.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,185 ✭✭✭championc

Nice if we have a sell on claim

As of late last year Barca still owed us £33m for Raphinha. Hopefully the next transfer, wherever he goes, will get that sorted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭Carcharodon

yea, it sucks for him, no one can say he is a bad guy and begrudge him leaving, I would of never thought he would be ManCity level, Bielsa got the very best from him and he sat in nicely to Englands system but he has had bad luck with injuries the past few seasons and confidence gets low, goes on loan and just sucks for him. Would love him back but more than anything would love to seem him play regularly and enjoy his soccer

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭Jimmy Two Times

Squad looks pretty grim for tomorrow. We've lost four starters from last season and replaced them with one cut price full back. Only bright spot is having Pascal back but from the two games we've played so far, Ampadu seems to have forgotten how to play in midfield.

First two goals on Saturday were the result of gaps in our midfield, having no one to contest the second ball, gaps which were largely filled by Kamara last season during our good run.

Reckon we'll miss him more than I originally thought unless we find a replacement. Rothwell, probably better in an attacking sense but struggles defensively from what I've seen so far.

Lack of noise on incomings is really worrying at this point. Not going again til Hull on the last day of the window. Could be fun if we've not strengthened significantly by then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hijpo

Any links to anyone left open??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭Ceist_Beag

Very little coming out at the minute, Rutter said his goodbyes this morning apparently but even that is not confirmed yet (although we can take it as a given). One player that I would be happy to see come in and that could be got would be Jack Clarke. As I said already, Aaronson can move in to the 10 role as I think he would be better there anyway. I expect he will start there tomorrow (or at least I hope it's not Piroe!).

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,015 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

That was yesterday according to the website. Seems to taking a while to complete

Apparently there were a few bad eggs that all raised there heads after the QPR game.

All not well behind closed doors, with players. Club is far from stable internally by the sounds of it.

All rumour of course but we all get the feeling something big is going on. From the run to the end of last season, the high profile transfers, through to the performances of some players.

Cree, Gnonto, Kamara ring leaders and Rutter mixed up in it.

Cree had a bust up with the team and basically said he was the only one performing and was dragging the team along on his own. Gnonto wouldn't follow instructions of coaching staff.

• Advertisement

If true that’s exactly what you’d hope to see from the most important players after a debacle like that. Automatic promotion lost in the worst of possible ways and it needed a response. But it’s probably more third or fourth hand nonsense from the same source that gave us all the false stuff about Gnonto and others last season.

Those players needed their arses kicked after QPR and it feels like they may again this season.

I wouldn't be surprised if there were rows after the way the season ended, you would hope and expect that players expect and demand better.

I'm not at all surprised if Cree had a bust up either, you could see in his body language at the end of the season that he was already on his way out.

Farke has a major job to get the season going or the writing will be on the wall very early. As I said, we'll know once the window closes.

You somehow feel that a win today is almost essential

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 517 ✭✭✭Neewollah

Hard to see anything other than a comfortable Baggies win unfortunately. SeemS like a **** show behind the scenes has affected confidence of those left on the pitch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,495 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Piroe at 10...well at least can ignore football from 2.30 onwards

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,023 ✭✭✭10000maniacs

We went on that unbeaten run after Christmas because of Rutter, Gray and Summerville.

Who do we have to run from midfield now?

A 2:0 battering if we are lucky today.

• Advertisement

The return of Bamford was the main reason for that run. His injury then coincided with our stutter that lost us automatic promotion.

He has lots of critics on here but it’s unfair to downplay his role last season. Had he stayed fit we’d almost certainly have gone up. Nobody replaced what he had to offer.

In the space of two weeks we have turned into Birmingham City. It's going to be a long season.

Neither side up to much here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,578 ✭✭✭newhouse87

We are so poor, no attacking flair of any kind, mid table team at best with current squad.

Gotta agree. At least last year there was the excuse of the takeover, adjusting to relegation, players leaving whilst legally unable to replace them, new manager, etc. None this season, we were aware we’d lose some players and get some loan returnees but……..

You’d have to assume that Farke, his coaching team and some players are pretty furious about this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,336 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Well that was dull.

Farke must have been sold a pup about grand plans when he signed on. He is ambitious, he is not going to stick around if he doesn't get financial backing.

If a neutral was looking at that game, he would think Struijk was our main striker.

Bloody hell, that team is worse than before Bielsa took over.

At least we held them out.

Sheffield Wednesday are miles ahead of WBA so expect a REALLY tough game on Friday.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,348 ✭✭✭sonofenoch

Settled in to Championship mediocrity pretty quickly, back to pre-Bielsa times with this lot

Burnley and Sheffield will make easy work of the division in a way we just can't do, losers mentality ingrained in the club

Saying 'this lot' is unfair I think. We can't blame the match-day squad, some of whom would expect to be on the bench or in the reserves for much of the season. They entered pre-season with the four players we've lost and had those guys not been transferred we'd have the best team in the division. Any issues lie with the owners not sorting things out. The playoff final was eleven weeks ago and there's no justification for not getting players in. Even if we get a few by the end of the month we'll be lagging behind as were were last season and it's another uphill battle to get promoted.

Not in the interests of the 49ers or Red Bull for us to languish in the Championship so why have the been so crap?

It's almost been a mirror image of last years transfer window and all the complaing we did about Orta and Radz. Not offloading the players that want out early enough and not having ready made replacements ready to go. Will be 4 or 5 last minutes deals done that will take at least a month to bed in and by that stage we'll be at best fighting for play offs. Hard to figure the new owners strategy because it certainly doesn't reflect well on them.

Draw was a positive today. At least we're unbeaten in the league. Playing poorly and not being beaten always a good sign

I'd like to think we setup to contain them which seemed to work because we gave them the ball back the whole time.

Can see how limited we are going forward. it's so bad that even when we have the ball I'm looking at whos syaying back and their positioning rather than who's showing for it because im anticipating it will get turned over and we will be caught if too many push on.

I think we need 2 starters for James and piroe at the very least to get us to January I think.

Any point in Struijk in as DM and ampadu drop to CB with Rodon? Rodon seems to play better with Ampadu.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

Ampadu is more comfortable at CB. He may consider himself as a midfielder, but his instinct is to drop deep. We need creativity and he's not that. Having a small squad is one thing, being totally shy in some positions is another

Farke was actually saying it was previous boards deals that has current boards hands tied to a degree and they will have to make contracts more water tight in future. So orta and radz also deserve criticism here.

• Advertisement

I will go with farkes opinion on this one. How could the club have predicted somebody would come in at last minute with 40m release clause. He was bought for 35m and obviously orta agreed to have this in contract just to get him. It was short sighted and we seeing the consequences for all these clauses for last few transfer windows. Farke actually said he didnt want to talk about players contracts as it would alert other clubs to the dire situation.

"I don't speak about other contracts and I don't want to make other clubs aware of it but the situation 12 months ago was really difficult," he said. "There was a clause in more or less every contract. We have completely changed the philosophy."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

Seriously lads, it's a shitshow of epic Leeds proportions. However, we've got to get behind the squad that have remained. Forget the skill level shown, there was serious effort for the shirt by those on the pitch. If there are no proper incomings, direct your anger towards the board, not the players or the manager

Do you have a source for a Farke quote directly criticising Orta and Radz? And are you suggesting that the four players leaving without replacements plus poor pre-season preparation is some responsibility of theirs? 15 months after their departure. Seriously?

Why do you always go for the same targets irrespective of logic? Some people just need an enemy or scapegoat I guess. Not long til Bamford is responsible for the lack of purchases.

There you go again getting emotional. What do you think the quote above from farke means? I'm simply saying this board is not 100% at fault. Orta And radz are also responsible for putting clauses the like farke was surprised at into loads of contracts. But yeah you know more then farke.

Ps. pm me if you want discuss, let's not ruin thread again this season. Try not to reply to me here with a parting dig like you dragging up Bamford above. Can we agree to put each other on ignore? We don't like each other so let's leave it agreed?

Post edited by newhouse87 on

GoIng to enjoy following our departures to the PL to see how they get on. Ruttèr going to be exciting for BHA with Mitoma

Yeah rutter could do well. Not so sure about Jimmy.

Same here. I think Rutter has best chance to succeed with a team like Brighton. I think Gray has made a mistake going to Spurs. Feel he needed another year or 2 to develop at Leeds. Could end up another Jack Clarke. Not sure I see Archie getting much game time this year. Summerville will only be a bit part player with West Ham. Can see him ending on up on loan next year with a newly promoted side

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

Excuse my ignorance, what exactly is the story with our finances seeing as we're offloading everyone. Red Bull invested, 49ers etc, can we not spend money and have to let guys go to meet financial fair play targets? It always seems to be the same financial disaster with Leeds, whereas no one else ever seems to be in the boat, even far smaller teams.

We're still favourites on Paddy Power, the way things are with how thin our squad is now, I wouldn't be surprised if we'll be fighting relegation tbh, and won't be coming up anytime soon.

The only club in Englands 3rd/4th biggest city, where we should be competing for the Premier League, but like usual it's a circus off the field. I've never seen anything like it with one club, the continual mayhem off the field, instead of progressing, we're always trying to rescue the situation that always seems to get out of hand. You'd swear Laurel and Hardy were running the show at Leeds, it's always a fiasco!

Tbh Im behind on the financial stuff, hard to get into Leeds again until the Shels season is over, as they're the priority

No emotion. Just facts. Where’s the direct Farke criticism you claim? At the press conference he was effusive in his praise for both Orta and Radz (as per the piece below) but that doesn’t suit your scapegoating narrative. You whinged your way through 2023/24. I’m not expecting any great change.
    I instead want to support the team.

Mod Edit: warning applied

Post edited by Necro on

• Advertisement

Not sure about sumerville, he had an Impact and the players had the confidence to involve him in the game when he came on AND he has heads to cross it to now.

Grey could end up out of spurs alright, would need to be exceptionally good for an 18 year old in CB to be involved if that's where they are going to play him. He has the composure but you could see that Farke made sure he had backup at RB. Center back means one wrong move and you force the team into changing their entire strategy for the game, i get the feeling it also means you have to stop about seven clear goal scoring opportunities to redeem yourself with no future mistakes.

Whinge, its all you do when people dont agree with you, laughable and sad for an old man to be like that. Have a drink tonight, twil relax you. Its all emotion with you and your little digs about Bamford at end of your previous post. Your like a wound up teenager. Did you even read past the headline? Farke said he doesn't want to talk about previous board as they were trying to stay in pl but they had lots of clauses in contracts that meant leeds were not in the driving seat which this board won't be doing. If you can't read between the lines and the quote above, i can t help you. Read the below from your article. You are wrong once again to try absolve orta and radz from this mess. But as per usual you will deflect insult the poster and never admit you are incorrect. Last season you were claiming all these contract clauses were normal. You know more then farke and the Leeds board and journalists like phil hay. You are wasted on boards, you should be running contracts at Madrid.

don't speak about other clauses. The situation 12 months ago was really, really difficult because just about every contract had a clause like this. I don't want to blame anyone of the past because relegation battles can apply pressure to people. In the future, we will, just keep ourselves in the driving seat wth contract.

If it means quality players do not come without a clause, then they don't come. We don't want this in the future. The more contracts running our or terminated and those coming in well make this less and less

Normal for the players to wonder what is going on. Right now, we still have a really good squad, but we need to rebuild on some key positions. We know we are not there with the strength anymore as big favourite. It's true what Paraag said: I feel backed, he is responsible for bringing good commercial deals like Red Bull. Changed our philosophy on running this club. There will not be crazy clauses like this in the future.

He is totally respectful of contracts and the legal point of view. He is the first one to fight to do everything in the last days to convince Georgi. Open secret we have rejected offers of big money for other players from us. He said no, we don't want the money, we want the best squad, but the clause ties his hands.

There was an error displaying this embed.

14:40Beren Cross

How aware of this were you?

I wasn't when I arrived one year ago, but then we looked at the details of the contracts and I was aware of it. We could not predict someone would activate a released clause. A proper sum of money. Due to the work Georgi has done over the past 12 months to create value of him.

Wanted to keep him and tried everything, but a contract is a contract and you must stick to what was signed in the past.

I am not a believer in contracts when the club is not in the driving seat. Nowadays we have to pay for sins of the past. We were under financial pressure at the start of last season and right now, due to not being promoted and in line with financial rules of fair play. We had to do something in the market. Did this at the beginning. This is not a topic anymore. This club is in line with all of the financial rules. We have paid for this sin, but the reality is the past saw some contracts, clauses. You cannot press a button and change this.

Mod Edit: warning applied

Post edited by Necro on

You deigned to speak for Farke and said he criticised Orta and Radz. You were wrong. As the press conference showed he strongly praised them.

Save the bile for the opposition please. MOT.

Purely personal opinion.

In terms of letting lads go:

I think after Archie was sold we were in good shape with regards meeting debt targets and regs for next year. He's a talent but still only 18, anything could happen, I think the club for clubs sake made the right decision for both parties. No one bigger than spurs were going to take a 40m punt.

I think the board let Kamara and Summerville go because things were not good within the squad due to their personalities. I never got the impression that Kamara was bothered with playing for the club/team/shirt. There was something about summerville, while brilliant, that gave me the feeling he was invested but in himself. The constant cuts inside to take his trademark shot on no matter who was in space in the box and THAT penalty.

Rutter had a clause in his contract, he had a career decision to make, he did what every player in his position would have done after seeing our transfer window to date. We are not getting promoted this season, even if summervile and archie stayed after January.

Clubs do peak and trough, highs and lows, there's a standard deviation, however Leeds seem to swing in the extremes. Fantastic highs to utter dirt. Promotion and premier league excitement to premier league disaster and godly manager sacking. Bielsa to March. Championship christmas runs to push top spots, to flat finals. This time its promising preseasons and okay transfer windows to selling three big players with no replacements with less than 2 weeks left and two points when rivals get off to a flyer.

To be honest, I think the 49rs are probably the most experienced owners of huge sporting business a championship side would ever attract. It just remains to be seen if they are invested for footballing success or to flip a quick hundred million.

If you think that's not criticism of the previous board talking about crazy clauses in many playets contracts and how that wont happen under him, just confirms my opinion you can't ever admit glaring fault. Bile, you as usual came in with first cheap dig and now try to project me as the bad guy. You done same last season bringing old posts into your lost arguments. You have an issue not being able to admit you are wrong. I find it strange people on annonymous forums act like that. We are all incorrect at times, its ok you know. Enjoy the season. Let's avoid each other. Not fair on the thread.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 52,216 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

@newhouse87 and @Seathrun66

I suggest you both put each other on ignore going forward as any more bickering between you two will see you both threadbanned. It ends now.

• Advertisement

Agree with a lot of that but it's the last sentence that has most of us scratching our heads. If they want success on the pitch they're going the wrong way about it. If they're looking to make a quick profit they're going the wrong way about it. The strategy is either badly designed or badly executed.

Sunderland battering Wednesday 4:0.

Strategy for Friday should be to high press Sheffield Wednesday and target Windass.

I hope we have some players left with the ability to high press.

Agreed. If it's money the 49ers are after then they'll get a hell of a lot more from Red Bull if we're in the PL. Players will also sell for more if we're in the top division and we could have held off one or two of the big sales to help get us there. This Summer's planning doesn't seem designed with any ambition in mind and you've got to assume that morale amongst the players and coaching staff can't be good right now.

If I understand from previous comments, the FFP is based on player transfers and not on commercial activities ???

If that is the case, we could be rolling in cash. We have the parachute payments, must be loads of TV money, full house weekly, and a club shop generating plenty of revenue

• Advertisement
Advertisement