Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Advice please: Moving from manual to automatic transmission car.

• 17-08-2024 11:52am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭

Due to worsening mobility issues, I have to reluctantly part with my manual car and move to one with automatic transmission.

Any advice would be appreciated. I have never driven an automatic, is is difficult to transition too?

I'm also looking at automatic cars for sale online - any tips on what I need to be aware of, red flags to avoid.

Typical annual mileage is between 6k and 8k per year. Not interested in EVs at this point. Thanks.

(eta) Budget would be trade in value (171 Micra, 83000 km) + €5k (cash). I don't like spending a lot on cars!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭Firblog

There will be no difficulty, after a couple of days you'll wonder why the hell anyone would use manual.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭tritriagain

No difficulty at all. The problem arises when you go back to manual and need to stop you can forget to use the clutch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,587 ✭✭✭This is it

It's very easy. My Nana is 84 and has an issue with her shoulder making changing gears difficult, she bought an automatic last year and hasn't looked back. She wouldn't venture too far at the start, she was a little nervous, but after a few days there wasn't a bother on her.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,558 ✭✭✭Damien360

My dad who is close to 80 was the exact same as you and had manual Toyota's all his life. Even had the auto box Yaris delivered to the house as he was afraid to drive it. About 2 hours later he was away and never looked back. Loves the ease of the auto.

Where to place your clutch foot is the only thing to remember. I used to tuck it under my seat for a few days to get used to one foot driving. Now it's second nature and I don't have to bother. As someone above said, remembering what to do if you go back to manual is the hard part especially when rolling up to traffic lights in a manual. Re-start the car and you won't forget a second time.

Height of car will be important if you have mobility issues. You don't want to be climbing in and out of a car. You want to step in. Current Yaris is a nice height (out of your budget) for example but the current Corolla hatch would be quite low.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭yagan

Its much easier.

Essentially you're just using your right foot for either the accelerator or the brake, basically press to go and slow down/stop.

No difference on how you use the handbrake, although pulling away while parked on an incline is easier in an automatic as you don't have to think about releasing the handbrake while also balancing between the clutch and accelerator. It will just be easing off the handbrake while you press the accelerator in an automatic.

I know nothing about Nissen Micra's but you can get them in automatic so simply switching to would probably provide the easiest transition. All you have to remember is you don't need to use your left foot at all. It might feel weird at first but you'll quickly get used to it and wonder why you didn't transition sooner.

We have both manual and automatic in our household and I much prefer using the automatic. When we finally trade out the manual we'll never go back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Ezeoul

Thanks.

Never thought of the height, that's a good tip. I'll look at the Corollas and the Yaris.

Can increase the budget for the right car as I would intend to keep it for a good few years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,236 ✭✭✭carveone

My mum changed to an auto and finds it way easier on her knees, especially in stop start traffic or when negotiating turns. The previous car had a very heavy clutch.

When I drove in Canada for a few years, I found I never used the handbrake. The car won't roll back on inclines unless they're really very steep. When parking I put the shift into Park, only using the handbrake on a hill.

I found two gotchas when I started on an automatic. One was remembering to put my foot on the brake before changing into Drive (the car won't let you shift otherwise) and the other was trying to put my foot on a non existent clutch when stopping the first time or two.

There's a Nissan Micra automatic in my apartment blocks car park. It's only 1 litre but it seems a decent enough car.

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭pinkfloyd34

Yes use right foot for brake and accelerator, the salesman said to me if you use your two feet you will go out through the window so I think that is important. Then you just have park, reverse, neutral and drive, you get used to it after a half an hour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,051 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Have a look at the Prius too, roomy inside. Id be not too pushed on 1 litre automatics, too little power and sluggish through gears.

I drove an automatic for a week on holidays, came home and sold my manual for an automatic, have only driven automatics since, would never ever go back. Best tip someone gave me before I drove one was to imagine your left foot no longer exists, you only ever use your right foot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,379 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

For me, the most important thing was to ensure that you use your left foot for nothing, ie use right for accelerator and break just as you would with a manual. When I first started with an auto, I used left foot braking but it’s way too harsh whereas lift off, transfer foot etc is more natural.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,379 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

The Toyota mild hybrids are all automatic. An 80 year old aunt was addicted to petrol Corollas but has taken to the hybrid one like a duck to water. You might even find a Micra of a similar vintage?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,243 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

It's just steering.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,032 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

I made the switch to automatic this year. For a day or two I found myself reaching for the gear stick. After that it just became second nature. Your parents will live it. Just don't overthink it. Driving is a joy and I should have changed years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 694 ✭✭✭blackvalley

Absolutely agree with all the previous comments regarding the simplicity of driving an automatic. Have been driving them for the last ten years and wouldn’t dream of going back to manual.
    Suggest that you try one out somewhere quiet and safe just before you make the purchase in the extremely unlikely event that you don’t like it. Within twenty minutes you will be wondering why on earth anyone would drive a manual.
    Good luck with your purchase.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭accensi0n

I used to have a stupid lad attitude of it's not real driving.

Part of the reason I moved to auto were unrelated hip and ankle issues/pain which my old manual nissan Almera with stiff pedals was absolutely not helping with.

Moves to an auto with much smoother pedals was a life saver. The ability to drink a coffee while driving is also a great benefit.. 😅

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,917 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

Its easy to jump into an automatic and be very comfortable almost straight away and the best thing is you don't have to relearn manual - I have not owned a manual car since about 6 cars ago and have no problem jumping back into one whenever I need to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,262 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

1/2 a day max OP and you’ll be asking yourself why you didn’t switch to automatic years ago

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭beachhead

Ezeoul,you have asked about the practicalities of using an automatic.Consider fuel economy on automatic ICE cars,also.with some marques there can be appreciable difference in fuel economy between a manual and an automatic.I have driven Hondas one example and saw 20% increase in fuel consumption(in a diesel).Whereas with an Opel or Ford hardly any difference.Another thing to consider on test drive is that the lag between going from neutral to drive will be noticeable-it varies between manufacturers.No opinion on hybrids-not driven them yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,558 ✭✭✭Damien360

Given the OP's low annual mileage, a petrol hybrid is the way to go. Between ourselves, extended family and in laws there are 4 petrol Toyota hybrids. Not the most exiting car but every one of them is reliable.

Fuel economy depends on town Vs motorway. Town driving we get 5 L/100km on a Toyota CHR over the whole 35L fuel tank. Motorway at 120 it hits 7.5 L/100km.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 192 ✭✭Tippbhoy1

This is the best piece of advice you will get. No longer use your left foot, ever, it’s redundant. Temptation to use the left foot will be a clutch type movement on a sensitive brake with bad results.

Other than that, in a week you will ask yourself why didn’t you make the transition years ago.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,843 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

hopefully she uses the rear view mirrors though?

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Jackiebt

I lived in the US for 20 years emigrated in my early 20s so got used to an automatic, moved home and bought an automatic, you'll be grand and if you've issues its a smart move. I wouldn't drive anything but an automatic now, best of luck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,483 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

I'm going to go against the grain here and argue that the transition isn't always easy or straightforward

For example, for some people the muscle memory of clutching and braking can come back in high stress situations and that can make things worse for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Jackiebt

A great point, theres a foot rest for your left foot and that's where it stays, right foot only, like a bumper car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭tphase

as per previous posters, very easy to change to automatic

first time I drove one (many years ago), I hit the brake when my brain told my foot to clutch - after that, I planted my left foot on the floor, let it push whenever the urge to clutch took over but never lifted off the floor. Doesn't take long to cure that affliction….

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,542 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Question on automatics and I only thought if it when driving down through the Dublin mountains.

In a manual you can rev limit the engine to a certain speed going down a hill, however in an automatic will it just keep speeding up unless you keep your foot on the brake too?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,917 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

Automatic will change gear going down a hill just like you do yourself in a manual to limit speed, you'll still need to use brakes at times of course

Just like everything in an automatic though, it will do what it sees as correct itself rather than exactly what you'd do yourself.

A good auto though and you will be fine

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭djan

Modern automatics tend to have lower consumption due to usually higher amount of gears and they will shift at the ideal RPM especially when compared to your average Joe.

There's different types for autos but honestly unless it's a weekend sports car, there's no reason for staying with manual and I've yet to meet someone who regrets the switch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Ezeoul

Had a look around and spotted a couple I like at first look, two stood out, one is a micra and one is a Citroen C3 (had a manual C3 for over a decade and loved it).

The micra is a japanese import, is that a problem with insurance?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,358 ✭✭✭Goose81

I changed from manual to automatic last year after having never driven an automatic for the 16 or so years prior.

The only slight challenge I had that took a few months to get used to was in supermarket car parks where you can be holding up drivers if I was under any sort of pressure/stress the actual of moving it into drive and reverse was a bit foreign compared to a manual. A few times I ended up driving forwards when I meant to go backwards

Advertisement